Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FREE CANNON CAMERA (Scam ??)  (Read 4857 times)

nhp651

FREE CANNON CAMERA (Scam ??)
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:45:32 am »

t do you guys make of this.........do I click here or is it a scam???

It was an email from Zinga that I received last night, and was all lit up in an advertising package.

Congratulations, you have won a free Canon camera!

All you have to do is pay the inexpensive £2 delivery fee.

For your chance to receive this great quality camera, Click Here.

neil

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: FREE CANNON CAMERA
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:53:06 am »

Googling for "zinga free canon" gave  this link -  http://videogamecanon.com/post/2382829249/social-game-developer-zynga-announced-its-first
If your mailbox is known to Zinga legitimately (i.e. you are already a customer of theirs) it might well be kosher, they seem to be releasing a game called "cannon".
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:13 am »

cheers Malcolm....I am registered with Zinga, through my daughters and their games and web sites they are members of.....will give it a try.

My anti virus will stop it if not, lol
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04:52 am »

yep, it was blocked by Vipre, as being potentially harmfull...........will try your link.
neil

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:16 am »

Zinga is not "Zynga"

Just to be sure... :((

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:49:09 am »

This site might give you some useful information: http://www.pennyauctionwatch.com/2010/06/ziinga-penny-auction/

So might this: http://www.scambook.com/search/reports?search=ask.zinga.com

It appears that a free camera offer is what they use to get hold of your credit card details. Go nowhere near them....

Oh, and Mods - I would change the title of this item. FREE CANNON CAMERA is likely to make people think this is an real offer....          OK

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:21 am »

I never realised they had optical gunsights on cannon.....

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:13:38 am »

Never realised there was two Nuh's in Canon when applied to cameras.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:23:38 am »

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:30:31 am »

This site might give you some useful information: http://www.pennyauctionwatch.com/2010/06/ziinga-penny-auction/

So might this: http://www.scambook.com/search/reports?search=ask.zinga.com

It appears that a free camera offer is what they use to get hold of your credit card details. Go nowhere near them....

Oh, and Mods - I would change the title of this item. FREE CANNON CAMERA is likely to make people think this is an real offer....

yes, I quite agree, dodgy geezer.....in fact you coukld delete it if you wish........I realise after DG's comment that it is a scam to get hold of details..........I'm somewhat gullible at times. Take people and adds at face value, and then get let down or conned by some.suppose that's life, sadly.
neil.

davidm1945

Re: FREE CANNON CAMERA (Scam ??)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:53:52 am »

Very old saying :- "If it seems too good to be true - it is too good to be true!"

bikerdude666

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »

yes, I quite agree, dodgy geezer.....in fact you coukld delete it if you wish........I realise after DG's comment that it is a scam to get hold of details..........I'm somewhat gullible at times. Take people and adds at face value, and then get let down or conned by some.suppose that's life, sadly.
neil.

My dads the same, I've lost count of the times he's phoned me cos he's got an email on hotmail from ebay or paypal saying he needs to follow the link and update/confirm his details, and everytime I have to point out that it's a scam as we set up ebay and paypal with a completely different email address. At least he now automatically deletes emails from RBS or Nationwide saying to update details or his account will be suspended, as he banks with neither lol...

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:08:45 pm »

Simple rule

If your not expecting it DO NOT OPEN IT... Send it to the spam box and then delete..I never open my own bank emails as they always send a copy to the online email box so only read them there..

Saying that I once did receive an email from Fords as I had won a free Ipod Shuffle a few years ago and to phone a number.. Despite my apprehension I did phone the number and I did win an Ipod.. I had been on the Fords site and had forgotten I had entered into a competition. 

But generally I bin everything.   

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

Simple rule

If your not expecting it DO NOT OPEN IT...

Unfortunately, the corollary does not hold true... if you ARE expecting something you should still be on your guard. Common tricks include sending a message that your parcel is ready for pick-up (please download this form to collect it), your application for a loan has been accepted (please provide your credit card number to prove your identity) and your job application has been successful (please fill your personal and bank details in here).

All these scams are aimed at catching the people who ARE waiting for a parcel, etc..  If you send out 5m messages, some recipient will be anxiously expecting such a message, and will click before he thinks....

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 07:41:54 pm »

Unfortunately, the corollary does not hold true... if you ARE expecting something you should still be on your guard. Common tricks include sending a message that your parcel is ready for pick-up (please download this form to collect it), your application for a loan has been accepted (please provide your credit card number to prove your identity) and your job application has been successful (please fill your personal and bank details in here).

All these scams are aimed at catching the people who ARE waiting for a parcel, etc..  If you send out 5m messages, some recipient will be anxiously expecting such a message, and will click before he thinks....

On the odd occasion maybe but on the whole I would never put my details into a link that I had not instigated, If you have applied for aloan , they will already have your details, and I would never follow a link to an email telling me a parcel had arrived etc.( I get quite a few parcels, work and personal and have never EVER had a genuine email advising me of a problem). If you have been succesfull in a job I would give the details to the HR department Direct.  It is all common sense..IMHOP.
However unfortunetly people will fall to the scams as was demonstrated recently in the news by a proffessional who lost a lot of money trying to get a Lottery win or something.

Dave13

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 08:53:33 pm »

Simple rule

If your not expecting it DO NOT OPEN IT...

Yeah I used to think like that however when I had an email saying that I had won £250 from an on line survey I nearly put that in the bin.
However it was lucky I replied as it terns out it was for real!  :-)
Its all gone now thow <:( <:( once the wife and the daughter found out!
Dave:)

davidm1945

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:45 pm »

UPS DELIVERY VIRUS

Hi Folks,

I received this one today, was suspicious and Googled "UPS Delivery Virus" then deleted it without opening. Recommend you do the same!

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp

Dave.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:05 pm »

That would be the parcel scam mentioned two responses above.

Tomorrow you will find that your request for a loan has been accepted, and the day after that you will get a new job.....   %% %% %%

I recommend that people have a read through Snopes, Scambook and the like to be warned in advance of this sort of thing....

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 06:53:19 pm »

When I was looking for a new handy camera I wound up with a Canon, as it was the only make I could find with an optical viewfinder......
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 09:14:37 pm »

That would be the parcel scam mentioned two responses above.

Tomorrow you will find that your request for a loan has been accepted, and the day after that you will get a new job.....   %% %% %%

I recommend that people have a read through Snopes, Scambook and the like to be warned in advance of this sort of thing....

Not too mention the million plus pounds from Nigeria, just send your bank details, so we can deposit it for you or just pay this small tranfer fee and its all yours  >>:-(>>:-( <*< <*<

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 07:18:57 am »

Hi Arty, I am very disappointed, I really thought all that money in Africa was only for me. They sure have a lot of plane crashes, never mind the uprisings. Do people really fall for this kind of con game, I can't believe that people are that dim witted. Mick B. 
Mick B.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 07:21:47 am »

I think it's more greediness than dim wittedness
Or perhaps equal portions of both   O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 09:05:50 am »

...Do people really fall for this kind of con game, I can't believe that people are that dim witted...

It's not that we are dim-witted. Social interactions and a whole set of assumptions are built into our behaviour. We are social animals, and our default way of working is to follow a set of habits. Most of the time these work, but scam artists are skilled at using these automatic responses to their advantage.

People who spout the cliche 'You shouldn't make assumptions' completely misunderstand how brains work. Our entire lives are sets of 'assumptions' - if you didn't make them you couldn't get up in the morning...

I don't think the best way of addressing this sort of issue is to treat every interaction with another human suspiciously, as is sometimes suggested. You just can't keep living like that. I think the best approach is to educate yourself about the common types of scam, so you fold 'appropriate' suspicion into your general habits. Googling 'Internet Scam' will easily give you a whole set of data about what to look out for. Consequently, I tend to think "I can't believe people are that badly informed...".

Unfortunately, they are...   <:( <:(

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 10:43:35 am »

Nicely put DG.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:06 am »

I fully agree Dodgy you can't live your life suspecting everyone you deal with. However today the con business is at an all time high & people are just not ready for it. Mick B.
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.