Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maintaining square edge while sanding rib cross pieces  (Read 1372 times)

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Maintaining square edge while sanding rib cross pieces
« on: January 14, 2024, 06:31:11 pm »

Hello Does anyone know of any good techniques for removing high spots on the cross pieces on a wood frame while still maintaining a good square edge on the rubs . I have run into somewhat of a dilemma as what to do.I still have some remaining high spots on a hatch compartment frame beveled areas meeting non beveled yet a small gap still remains when top skin is clamped to frame
I though of sanding the rubs down carefully with a fine grit sanding sponge to eliminate the high spots in a side to side motion, however I am not sure if done this way how to maintain a nice clean square edge [size=78%]with out disrupting the edges of the parts . Correct me if wrong but don’t the edges need to be square in order for the parts to epoxy together properly top skin to frame  note the frame is glued together . Any help would be appreciated [/size]

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Maintaining square edge while sanding rib cross pieces
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 10:49:51 pm »

Tape a full sheet of abrasive paper, I use wet and dry because it is versatile, to a perfectly flat surface with some sort of tape.  I use Frog Tape but any tape that will hold it to the surface.  Then simply rub the complete structure over the abrasive to give you a perfectly flat surface over the entire area.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 01:44:19 am »

Bunkerbarge thanks for responding to my post appreciated. I take it this is common problem even after checking and working the fitting of the parts dry, you may still get high spot's. Great idea flat sand I have some extra fine paper and double stick tape. I guess simulating a cradle like motion while sand in it would be best .  Thanks

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 10:05:12 am »

I would usually use a figure of eight or circular motion.

Taping abrasives is a handy technique and very effective for such things as mating two curved surfaces together.  The same hatch above needed to be flat on top but curved to match a curved deck at the lower edge so I taped abrasive to the hull to get that as neat as possible.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 04:25:23 pm »

Hi Bunkerbarge

Thank you for sharing this technique appreciated I ended up utilizing a small weighted container
  To sand all on one plane cut to fit double stick tape paper 220 then 600 worked out great
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 24 queries.