Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving support vessel Seven atlantic scale 1:75  (Read 4346 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Diving support vessel Seven atlantic scale 1:75
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:53:55 pm »

Hello guys,

Before I started intern ship aboard Well Enhancer I did a job at IHC Merwede, where, at that time, the diving support vessel Seven Atlantic was being build.
This ship looks better then the Well Enhancer, partially due to the less square build superstructure.
Seven Atlantic is longer at 144m length, and wider at 26m width, she lays a little deeper in the water, and weighs quite a bit more.
Seven Atlantic is powered by 3 azimuths under the stern, and at the bow she has 2 retractable azimuths and 1 tunnel bow thruster, which is the other way around compared to Well Enhancer.
Here's a picture of Seven Atlantic:

While I was still working at the yard I decided I wanted to build a model of it, but I was busy with another model (not the Well Enhancer), and I had trouble finding a good scale.
At that time I was thinking about 1:100 and 1:50, but 1:50 would had been way to big (2,9m length, can't get that down the stairs), but 1:100 would make it pretty hard for me to reach the level of detailing I wanted to reach.
Above the detailing problems the propulsion was also a  problem in 1:100 scale, as I wanted to drive her with Azimuths.
At the time my intern ship started I came up with a scale that was nicely in between the 2 noted scales, 1:75.
I figured that I would be able to find a quick way to scale the sizes found in the drawings to 1:75, which was the main reason way I wanted to go for 1:100 or 1:50.
That didn't turn out to be true, but a proper scaling device (of which I own several different versions) has got 1:75 sizes on it.
One quite big advantage of this scale is that Graupner used to have a "schottel" that is almost an exact scale version of the azimuths on the real ship.
Unfortunately those units are not being made any more, so when I start building Seven Atlantic I'll need to make azimuths myself.

Because I want to build this model for so long now I had already started making some thoughts on how I want to build her.
Today I continued working on this design.
First I finally decided what functions I wanted to make working (very important for how many Arduino's I'd need, and the wiring).
This came out at 158 functions, though the dynamic positioning is not included here.
The DP will be capable of controlling every propulsion unit separately, for high accuracy.

The hull have 20 frames made of 9mm plywood, 1 keel and 1 tweendeck, both made of 9mm thick plywood as well.
The hull plating will be made of planks which I will personally saw from a 3mm thick sheet of plywood.
This will give a very strong an stiff hull.
The frames will be adjusted to fit with the construction above it (underneath the main crane for starters).

The model will be 1,93m long and 0,35m wide.
She will weigh 46kg at waterline.

More will follow later on.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Diving support vessel Seven atlantic scale 1:75
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:46 am »

Wow that’s one big project you are about to start  :-)) :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:24:17 am »

Hi Tweety

I've been enjoying the other build so I guess I'll come along for the ride  O0 :-))

Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:52:55 pm »

I forgot to mention that this model is currently only in the design stage, and will be so for at least 2 more years, as I need to have a place of my own, as I now don't have room for a model this size.
Besides the room issue I also want to complete the Well Enhancer first, which is a vital source for learning how I could build a ship model properly.
Seven Atlantic will incorporate the lessons learned while building Well Enhancer, like:
-Use more then just 4 frames.
-Use thicker plastic sheets then just 0,25mm.
And many more lessons.

In this thread I'll first keep you guys up to date about the most important details, and as soon as the actual build starts I'll let you know.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »

8) :-))

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:11:54 pm »

Small update regarding the planning being done.
I continued the work on shaping the frames, as there will be frames that should have some removable parts in order to make the bulwark part of the hull, but also to make it easier to install a "sidewalk" inside the hull running forward from the rear deck, which is open from the rear deck.
As this sidewalk will be properly detailed it needs to be fairly easy to fit it inside the hull.
All I now need to do is make the sidewalk, get the removable pieces of frame out, and gently mount the sidewalk.

Then I started working on the ROV arrangement.
There will be a hangar for 4 ROV's, 2 spares, and there will be 2 moonpools.
The moonpools turned out to be placed in a terrible position, as it passes through a frame, and would actually also effect the width of the frame.
As the moonpool is only visible at the bottom of the ship (which won't be showed...) I decided to move the moonpool a bit so it suites me better.

While I was working on the stuff mentioned above I noticed that there wouldn't be enough room for adjusting the width of the ballast tanks manually.
Therefore I decided I could better use electric motors to adjust the width, as a switch box could be placed somewhere where there is room, and that would take much less space then the manual control system.
It also gives me better control of the adjustments, and it would make it easier to make the system such that adjusting port and starboard tanks separately would be possible.
That off course would be a big bonus.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46:58 am »

Yesterday I started making a manual in which I'll mostly write down the reasons why I want to do something the way I want to do that.
Off course it will also contain a step-by-step tutorial on how to build the model, though I leave the details for my common sense for the time when I build the model.
The manual is being written for me alone, so there's no point in telling just how a frame should be cut out for instance, the manual won't even mention that it is required to cut anything, my common sense tells me I should do that...

Then there's some changes on the idea of the ballast tanks.
I thought of building free-flood tanks, but that means I'd have to lift 47kg of ship model out of the water before the water drops out.
According to the Dutch laws I'd need to ask 2 people to help me lift her out of the water...
As I'm already working with lots of electronics it would be a small step to add some electrical powered valves in the tanks to have the tanks fill themselves, and add a pump to empty the tanks before taking her out of the water.
That surely would increase the comfort of sailing with her.

Then I took a better look at the drawings, and found out the dive-area and main superstructure are connected at deck 6 level, which mean it would be pretty tough to make them properly removable separately, which was my first idea.
As the helodeck forces me to have the front wall of the main superstructure fixed to the hull (and thus requiring that the main superstructure would be moved backwards a bit before being lifted up, as I could damage the helodeck otherwise), so it turned out to be best to have both superstructures fixed together.
That does make it more vulnerable, so I'll have to add some proper reinforcement to the bottom of the deck, but that is not a problem.
I also considered having the helodeck fixed to the superstructure, but that would mean that the anchor winches are being positioned on a removable deck, which is not quite clever as well.

I decided that I'd need to have a large building plate on which I can fix the decks of each step of the build, so I can build the walls on them, and fully detail them (except for the frames, as the cap rails of the bulwarks will be made out of fibre glass which also covers the hull, so I would damage the frames if I would add them to the deck first), and then I'll carefully place the entire deck.
The removable decks will be properly sealed so that water can't get in using U-bars with a little bit of oil in it.
This model will be build such that she can handle the heaviest weather, as that is what I really like about these kind of ships.

Greetings Josse

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:00:49 pm »

This model will be build such that she can handle the heaviest weather
Hi Jesse - that is a video clip I will look forward to - 2014 maybe? :}
Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:10 pm »

Hi Dave,

I think 2014 will be a bit too soon, but I indeed also look forward to it.
It surely won't be as frightening to me as it would be with Well Enhancer, as Seven Atlantic will be build much more durable, and will also have much better means of closing the hull to keep the water out.
Besides, Seven Atlantic will be able to sail against heavier winds due to her additional engine and brass 5-bladed props instead of the plastic 4-bladed props of Well Enhancer.
When the winds becomes to strong Seven Atlantic also has 2 retractable azimuths in the bow to help keep her steady on course, or to give that extra bit of power against the wind.
I really look forward to starting to build her, she'll look fantastic, but first I need to finish Well Enhancer, find myself a proper job so I can effort a house which is to be large enough to have a model building room as large as my current bed room...
I'll get there 1 day!

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:29 am »

In the last few years the design of this model has not been stopped though it hasn't been going fast as well.
It did save me an awful lot of design work when I decided to build an entirely new Well Enhancer to give myself a chance to finish the Well Enhancer project properly.
Because I had designed this hull as far as all the construction goes I could easily adopt it.
The building method is now being tested and I must say I have some things to learn before I can squeeze the most out of this method but it sure works much better then my previous method.
Due to the new start of the Well Enhancer project building this model will be delayed by another few years but when I can finally start I be working much more efficient then I do now as I have continued to improve my work.
I don't mean to say I'm a fully learned modeller now, I simply mean to say that I build more accurate and precise then I did before.

Greetings Josse

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:11 am »

hello

with this project you have for 10 years and lots of money!

I really wish you great courage
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.