Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the 1:700 Tirpitz  (Read 3173 times)

chandler

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Building the 1:700 Tirpitz
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:12:14 am »

So the other day i was in my local hobby store looking for something to wrap my brain around when i came across the two ships, the 1:700 scale  Tirpitz and the Bismarck. now I'm kinda new at this i usually build armor but decided on change for once. so i started right away on the Tirpitz. I started dry fitting the hull and deck together and decided to glue the hull since i don't have three hands and figured this would make things a lot easier on me everything seemed to fit fine  there wasn't any prob so started the masking and paint

i thought it looks alright all things considering. I noticed in the box that there were decals for the camo and the pin strips but put them to the side because i like to mask with tape pin stripe and all.

while the paint was drying i started airbrushing the deck witch is not glued down yet and when that dried took the old fashioned brush out and started on the fun stuff all the nooks and crannies

couple of days later this is how far i got. sorry i didn't post any images of the unboxing and the first few steps i didn't know how to upload these pics till now i took the pics with my android so i hope the come out alright.
helpful tips would be great since i'm new at ship building

chandler

• Shipmate
Re: Building the 1:700 Tirpitz
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:47 pm »

so last night i made some progress on my boat, its been a few days since my last entry so its starting  to come along pretty good so far i have all the base colors on the hull complete accept some of the camo with was started but needs a few more hours to dry before i start the masking process

here's a look at some of the camo paint on the hull i waited three days for the paint to cure i was kinda worried that the paint might peel if i were to pry the tape off.

i noticed after painting i need to fix this section a little since masking is pretty tough on this end of my ship

i was getting board of all the waiting between paint sprays so i decided to start the weathering process on the deck,i'm trying to learn how to do this by watching youtube since the weathering process is somewhat different than doing tanks all i did was spray the deck color let it dry then mixed veleo and rubbing alcohol at 90:1 ratio till i had a milky substance and dabbed my brush in random spots all over the deck till i was satisfied with the look then dry brushed the original color over top to brighten it up a little since it was pretty dark.

so heres what its come down to so

so heres what it has come down to so far i think its lookin so far, tonight im goin to be addin more color to the hull to get the camo scheme half finished at least and i will post more picks soon

chandler

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:20:54 am »

so tonight started on masking the sides of the ship to get ready for paint it wasn't easy this camo pattern looks easy but it wasn't took two hours

the camo pattern i'm trying  to replicate on this ship theres black ,germane gray, dark sea gray and flat blue so its doing one at a time

after airbrushing this side is germane gray and the other side is black

this side is not done yet still needs a couple of splinters of paint i just figured it was going to be easier to do after

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:20:11 am »

I like your paint work Chad & will keep an eye on the build as well. It is nice to have someone in my home town that is also interested in boats & ships & welcome to Mayhem. It was nice to chat with you as well on the phone today. Stay in touch. Mick B.
Mick B.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:40:39 am »

Topic re-attributed to Chandler.    :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.