Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help, Any Cooker engineers on board ?.  (Read 6004 times)

Big Ada

Help, Any Cooker engineers on board ?.
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:55:52 pm »

While using the hob on my Indesit Cooker to heat a saucepan there was a flash and a bang and the power tripped out.
Having reset the power, the hob works fine but neither the oven or the grill works. does anyone know if there is a separate fuse inside the cooker? and if so where is it located please.
I think maybe the cause of this was that the saucepans base is slightly bowed.
Thanks for any help.

Len.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help, Any Cooker engineers on board ?.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:52:37 pm »

You have more than likely blown the element, nemesis

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:05:25 pm »

Don't think you have blown an element if the hob is still ok
The hob is ok but the oven and grill are non operative
Switch off at the cooker switch and check if there is a reset
button on the back of the oven.
If not try googling Indesit faults and the answer may be there

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »

Its quite likely that your hob is wired separately back to the cooker cable connection terminal point. To my knowledge fuses are not fitted in the cooker its hard wired. As the hob works i suspect there is a fault with the feed wire from the connection block to the control switches for oven and grill.If the oven and grill were off only the feed wire to them would be live as far as the switches.Its a possibility this wire has shorted to the case and burnt through. the fuse being then blown. If you want to id suggest removing the hob unit to check the wiring also a test meter can be used to check continunity. Please ensure that the mains are off the cooker may be isolated at the switch but to be sure turn off at fuse box.Have fun good luck John

john44

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:21 pm »

Its quite likely that your hob is wired separately back to the cooker cable connection terminal point. To my knowledge fuses are not fitted in the cooker its hard wired. As the hob works i suspect there is a fault with the feed wire from the connection block to the control switches for oven and grill.If the oven and grill were off only the feed wire to them would be live as far as the switches.Its a possibility this wire has shorted to the case and burnt through. the fuse being then blown. If you want to id suggest removing the hob unit to check the wiring also a test meter can be used to check continunity. Please ensure that the mains are off the cooker may be isolated at the switch but to be sure turn off at fuse box.Have fun good luck John

I agree, the Concept was a double oven cooker so I take it you mean the top oven is the one not working.
If the hob plate got too hot with the bottom of the pan being bowed it could have burnt through the feed wire if it was touching the outer metal casing of the hob element.Take off the l&right hob trims, Take out the 2 rear hob fixing screws and the 2 countersunk screws from the front panel cheeks. Slide the hob back to clear the fascia panel then lift the hob and have a look, you should have a clear view of all the wiring to the switch panel assy.

Make sure the power is off.

john

Big Ada

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:03:34 am »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input.
The cooker is a single oven and a single grill. Neither of these work
The hob ring that blew the electicity still works!
Does this help your diagnosis?.

Thanks for your help gents.

Len.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:31:48 am »

It's a ceramic hob so a bowed base pan shouldn't make any difference. Most likely is burned insullation on internal oven connection, ie power between switch and "Distribution" wires internally.

As far as distorted "Tinware", make sure that the bases of pans are concave rather than convex, saves wobbly spinning handles.

Regards    Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

john44

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:26 pm »

Hi Ada, do the oven / grill neons light when switched on?
The wiring for the grill and main oven run underneath the hob to the control panel assy. and then back again to the element connections
behind the rear panel, so I am afraid the hob will have to come off. The wiring from the hob to the control panel uses a multi-plug
connector with lugs on the side. Prise out the lugs and separate the connection if needed or just rest the hob on a piece of wood
car-bonnet style

There should be plenty of spare wire to remake the connections but use CERAMIC connectors not PLASTIC ones.

john

Big Ada

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 05:31:19 pm »

Ah!, silly me, Its only the oven that doesent work, I was try the Grill with the door SHUT! Doh!.

Len.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:05:33 pm »

I still think its the feed wire as said before. Sounds like hob,Grill and oven are separately wired back to cooker cable connection point. As already said does the oven neon light? If not then its likely as said a power feed problem. As suggested already remove the hob and have a looksee. John.

richald

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:39:44 pm »

%)

I've got a ceramic hob for sale at the moment if you're interested!

O.K. O.K. - I'll get me coat. . . .

Richard

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 07:02:33 pm »

On many electric ovens, the grill IS wired to work with the door closed (Don't ask)

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

mikearace

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »

Look on the bright side.  A bang on an electric cooker is usually less dangerous than a bang on a gas cooker.

john44

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:03:47 pm »

I think on this particular model there is a cut off switch on the door so if the door is shut you cannot leave the grill on by mistake.

after having a better look at the photo I realized that it is the model that has 2 hob fixing screws at the back.
To remove this type of hob you remove the 2 rear screws lift up the back of the hob slightly to clear the rear panel and than
shove the hob forwards/ from the rear to clear the fixing lugs on top of the control panel. You may have to give it a sharp tap
as they are sometimes quite tight. Then as said before check the wiring and repair as necessary.
hope this helps

john

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 04:59:57 pm »

Are you cooking on gas yet ? Big Ada

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Big Ada

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 05:58:32 pm »

Nope,
I had a look behind the dash and the oven switch was all black and the two copper arms were very short!, so I phoned for a man to come at an agreed time, half an hour before he was due he phoned to say his car wouldnt start and could he come on monday! so thats how it is at the mo.
I have looked on line, my model is an Indesit KD3C1(W)G and a Selector Switch oven Part No C00117388  is £20.57 incl Vat.
Is that all I would need? and simple to fit???.

Len.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:52 pm »

Hello Len. As your aware diagnosing something without seeing it is hard. From what you say the switch is us. What is the state of the wiring to it and the connections to the switch? Im wondering why the switch failed if not in use? If this was me and im only suggesting this you could bypass the switch by connecting the feed and supply wires together. Then swtich on power at the mains and check the oven gets hot. If all ok then switch time.Ideally its meter test time. Down my way there are trade parts shops for cooker washing machine etc. I suppose you could buy a switch there. Sounds like youre getting there. Good luck. Take cars. John. 

john44

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:15 pm »

Hello len,
DO NOT NOT NOT,bipass the switch because the oven element could be down to earth and if that was the cause of the switch blowing and you link the wires BANG,FLASH WALLOP.
If you have a continuity tester, disconnect the 2 wires off the oven element touch 1 lead to 1 of the element connector & the
other one to a good earth on the product. Then do the same with the other element connector.
If you don,t get a circuit the element is not to earth, touch the leads to both element legs/as we used to call them.
to see if there is a circuit if not the element has blown and would be the cause of the switch problem as the internal contacts would have been blown apart.

Do these tests with the power off of course,
I stress once again DO-NOT bi -pass the switch until you have checked it is not an earth fault.

The reason I might sound like a know it all on Indesit products, I worked in the quality test lab for 25 years testing and repairing the
things. Until they took all production abroad and closed our factory.

If you think the price of the switch is dear wait till you ask for a quote for a hob ring.
I have a Creda Concept and my front right solar plate has blown. It will cost me £160. for a new one
I will get rid when other things start to break down.

john

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »

John is right,

Unless you are 100% confident in what you are doing don't mess with mains power. One mistake and that's it! Just not worth the risk.

Colin

john44

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 10:19:17 pm »

Yes Len please wait till the repair guy visits

john

Big Ada

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 10:17:36 am »

Thanks guys for your concern.
I am waiting for him.

Len.

john44

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 11:19:52 am »

Let us know what the fault was Len. O0

john

Big Ada

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:30 am »

Hi Guys,
He came and agreed with my diagnosis, was not able to connect on his phone to find the part and said did I want to do it myself as if he did it it would cost £55 in labour, so I have ordered and am waiting for the part to come.

john44

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 11:11:38 am »

Hi Ada, the oven element is o/k then, it was just the main oven switch.
the reason the labor charge is high is because you have to remove the hob rear panel and the oven liner panels
just to feed the thermocouple down into the oven cavity.

If you need talking through the processes let me know.

john

Big Ada

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »

We are Cooking!!  O0,

15 minutes after the Postman delivered it, it was fitted and working.
As you can see from the photo, I needed a new one!.
Thanks again for all your help Guys.

Len.  :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.