Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trumpeter 1/700 scale HMS Queen Elizabeth  (Read 4945 times)

raflaunches

Trumpeter 1/700 scale HMS Queen Elizabeth
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:48 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have been a bit stressful over the past few weeks, so I decided to get over it by buying and build Trumpeter's new 1/700 scale 'HMS Queen Elizabeth 1918' kit.  I have always had an interest in this particular class of battleship possibly because the first book I bought when I became involved with model boats was 'HMS Warspite' by Iain Ballentyne.  Since then it has become a bit of an obsession buying kits and books on the subject, sometimes paying silly prices just to get a copy %%.

Any way, the box is extremely robust and has a fantastic picture of the Queen Elizabeth firing a broadside, really stirs up the imagination!

The instructions are the usual pictorial sequence of construction that you can expect from any plastic model company such as Airfix or Trumpeter.  They are very clear and follow a logical pattern to build up the model,  the option to build a full hull or a waterline model is left to the end so you can concentrate on the upper hull, deck and superstructure before worrying about how you are going to display it.  They include a separate colour diagram for the WW1 colour scheme worn by Queen Elizabeth in 1918, all over grey unfortunately.

What you get in the kit in the way of plastic is as follows:

Complete upper hull
                                                        Complete lower hull
                                                        Upper deck
                                                        Quarter deck
                                                        Waterline plate
                                                        2x sprues of Ship's boats
                                                        2x sprues of Ship's guns (15inch and 6inch)
                                                        1x sprue of superstructures and bridge decks

additionally you also get an etched brass sheet with some of the finer detail such as the bridge superstructure and supports, break waters and a nice name plate.  Finally you have a small decal sheet for the flags and a base section to display the full hull option.

In this picture I have glued the upper and quarter deck to the upper hull section, not forgetting to position all the 6inch guns first and the rear superstructure sides to the upper hull before clamping everything together.  I have constructed the A and B turrets completely and half built the X and Y turrets.  It doesn't inform you in the instructions that you can have an extra option of having fitted gun bags on the turrets but I found them on the sprue so I used them as I have no intention of having elevating guns.  The funnels are moulded in one piece eliminating any mould seams that can occur and prevents any mis-alignment when you glue them together. 

I will continue tomorrow, more pictures to come.

Nick B

richtea

Re: Trumpeter 1/700 scale HMS Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:38:03 pm »

Good luck with this build, Nick.
I have difficulty with 350, never mind 700 scale.  {:-{
Must be old age catching up with me.  {-)
Regards
Richard  :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 07:32:50 pm »

Well I redoing my old post on this subject and never realised that I never actually added any pictures showing the continuation! Well since Feb 2012 it was reboxed until this weekend when I intended to go for a sail with a new-ish boat but my body decided to say no-my Achilles’ tendon went a wibble and I couldn’t stand properly today.
Anyway I decided not to waste sitting around being slightly drugged up with pain killers and started three of the kits!
So we have Warspite 1915 (closest), Barham 1941 (middle), and Queen Elizabeth 1918 (furthest). I was going to buy some wooden decks but after finding how expensive they were going to be for these three I decided to have a go painting them myself. Warspite has a Humbrol 29 brown base colour whilst the other two have desert brown. They all have had an AK Interactive Dark Deck wash applied to see which looks the best. I think the Warspite’s deck looks too dark but I’ve got a Warspite 1942 to build which I might try with Radome Tan as the base colour for a more bleached effect. Any way we shall see when I continue next weekend (I promise :embarrassed: ).
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 12:23:28 pm »

My first look into these grey vessels was KGV, I tried to draw it and failed miserably (sat in a Library copying from a book), then I latched onto an Ensign 4 book about these sisters, which included valiant and Malaya, of all of them only Barham was sunk and I think every time a documentary shows a rolling over warship which then blows up is that of Barham (it shocked the wife when she saw the crew running over the sides as she flipped and then the explosion with them directly in the line of fire).

Warspite apparently being one of the most decorated vessels of WWII, I think this should have been preserved (more fitting than Hermes - sorry), doubt it would have managed to get up the Thames if in preference to Belfast.

I have three kits of Warspite, two from different era's of Airfix and I think a Trumpeter, will have to check, will be a long time before I attempt to build it.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 12:43:22 pm »

They are an amazing class of battleship. I was introduced to Warspite after I read Iain Ballentyne’s book also called Warspite. I couldn’t believe what a service history she had. I too bought an Airfix kit of her and then progressed to buy these Trumpeter 1/700 kits but I also have an Academy 1/350 kit to build one day. I’d love to build a 1/96 scale model of Warspite as built as I don’t want to compete with Colin Vass’ brilliant 1:72 version.
Nick B

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 01:07:37 pm »

I think now you mention it, the one I have is a 1/350 Academy as well, I have seen a couple of 1/96 or 1/72 vessels over the years, one visited a club I was a member of, and the other was at Glasgow Stanley park, it was funny to see it come out of his car, he the driver, his girlfriend behind him in the rear passenger seat and the ship just about fitting in the front to rear on the passengers side, I think at 1/72 it comes out at near 8 foot, so ideally either a trailer or an estate.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 01:35:49 pm »

Colin Vass’s 1/72 Warspite 1942 model s about 9ft long and he now has a trailer and launcher as I believe he said that it weighed close to 168lbs! :o
Nick B

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 02:45:25 pm »

Just to confirm Academy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 08:23:12 pm »

As promised some more pictures. I’m concentrating on HMS Barham 1941 this evening. The light grey was applied last weekend and I hand painted the dark grey splinter camouflage on the starboard side. The fittings moulded on the deck has been carefully painted with the smallest paint brush I own. Quite pleased with the results so far. Looks like the photos I’ve seen of Barham in her final day’s.
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 08:51:51 pm »

Back on the Barham build, if I can build this small I can build 1/96 without any problem- well that’s my theory! O0
Since last time I have made the main mast and the forward mast with Admirals bridge. Range finder, first two of the four multiple pom-poms made and the ships boats have been partially painted. Actually enjoying making some thing this small!

Nick B

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.