Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying from Hobbyking  (Read 6367 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Buying from Hobbyking
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 09:59:21 pm »

I have already given a shipment cost from Hobby King where a shipment to the value of $116.00 would cost me $117.00 to ship. I received a shipment today from Cornwall Model Boats, cost of order 81.63 pounds/pence, shipping cost 7 pounds 59 pence. It arrived in less than a week, U/K to Canada (we don't have a British pound or Euro key on our computers) I see nothing hard to understand in those figures, guess where I will be shopping & it won't be Hobby King. Mick B.

I use Cornwall MB and can recommend them but, you did well.

A 30 quid motor air mailed from UK to Canada by Cornwall MB is £9.81 so I dont know how you got air mail for less on an order of £81 (small lightweight parcel, perhaps?). Remember as being outside the UK, you wont be paying UK VAT (a value tax) on postage which would be another 20% on top of the £7.59. Conversely, anything bought outside the UK for shipping to a UK address attracts VAT at 20% on the cost. This means even postage to the UK has 20% VAT added to it.

So your example of comparing postage out of the UK compared to overseas postage into the UK is not comparing like with like.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 08:25:17 am »

I think you misunderstood me, the cost to Canada from Hobbyking in the US was much higher than to ship from the U/K to Canada for a similar size package. I ship a large amount of parts from as far away as Australia & I am just stating a fact, the cost of shipping from Hobbyking in the USA was extreme. I am speaking from experience, we (my company) paid over $25,000.00 in shipping costs last year alone, mostly by air so I do have some experience, I have the bills to prove it. In one shipment alone from Birmingham  to Canada, there was a difference of $4000.00 between quotes. that is hard to explain away in my business. I am happy that you get a good shipping price from Hobbyking, however that has not been my experience, & I am just stating the facts, I would be overjoyed if I got the same treatment, however that was not the case. Mick B.   
Mick B.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 10:18:34 pm »

Nope, I understood what you said very well. I think you got a great deal on postage from Cornwal MB who I also recommend. The postage you paid to Canada is not much more for postage in the UK. Maybe Cornwall are subsidising postage overseas?

As for HK, the savings I make on buying RC goods via them offsets the postage to the UK imo. I always do an analysis on HK costs v UK retailers cost for identical items. Generally, the HK US dollar price just becomes the UK price ie say an item is US $28, then that same item bought from a UK retailer often becomes in my experience £28.00. In other words, the $ sign is replaced with a £ sign rather than an actual conversion of US $28 to sterling.

As I said, you got a great deal on postage by Cornwall MB. And good on them!

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 08:00:35 am »

Hi Justboatonic, you are right, all that changes is the $ sign. The hobby store here in the city wants $70.00 for a MFA 919D motor,the same motor from Cornwall is 15.20 pounds (we do not pay VAT). Converted to dollars that is $24.60 approx. I can buy two from Cornwall for the cost of one local & pay the postage as well & have money left in my pocket. I always check the postage on all my packets, & I have yet to find any shipper losing money on shipping. I ship SU carburettors & parts from Australia via FedEx. The company I deal with get a 60% discount on shipping which they pass on to me. There are good deals to be had on shipping if you ask or look hard enough. People look @ the low price & forget the cost of shipping, I never do. Mick B.   
Mick B.

lotsaboats

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »

I bought $80 of brushless motor, Esc prop and tools waited and waited 30 days after purchase I contacted them and was told can take 30+ days to Australia at 45  I contacted again and was told there's been a mix up & they were not posted They refunded full amount  plus postage. I'll never trust them again.
And I went to ebay and got everything I needed for $45 free post.

If it ain't broke don't bl**dy fix it.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 08:03:18 pm »

They messed up. Then they gave a full refund. Not exactly efficient, but fair enough.
Not really a trust issue, as they were not ripping anyone off, hanging on to the money, or otherwise cheating anyone.

My 2 cents.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Nige52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 08:06:52 am »

I agree, an oversight can be made by any company, I've bought items in the past from other online companies and after I've paid, I have received a notice saying my item was on back order  >>:-( >>:-(
I have had 15 separate orders with Hobbyking and every one went smoothly  :-))

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 03:32:41 pm »

Ive placed a couple of orders with hobbyking in the last year and have been happy with both.
Delivery on one order was only 3 days from H/K. I get worse from most UK suppliers.
Always investigate what you are buying first, the reviews on hobby king are a good start, and I have little to no concern that they are biased reviews (bad deleted I mean).
Some stuff may be shoddy (just reports on forums I have read), it can be cheaper on eBay or even a UK model shop, but the things Ive bought have been because they are cheapest or best part for the price, and cant compain about any part of the experience with Hobyking.
The LSD AA batteries are fantastic for Tx as they do seem to do what they say on the tin.

lotsaboats

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 12:07:33 am »

TT the trust issue comes fro my initial 30th day enquiry and being told to wait, a simple computer check would have confirmed dispatch or not up until this happened I was and still am have a Gold rating with them.
It is my choice to believe it's not good enough and speak of my displeasure and not buy from them again.   
If it ain't broke don't bl**dy fix it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.