Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Who have you met?  (Read 25859 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Who have you met?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:55:50 am »

Not sure if we've done this before......... did I ever tell you guys, I met J Arthur Rank?

No, not the film maker, one of the blokes that banged the bong - Ken Richmond.
   I met him a few years ago, while in his 70's and his was still a most impressive man.
   He was still bigger than anyone around us in both height and stature.

I had a brief chat with him, what a charming fellow and only too happy to tell me about the 'Gong' days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Richmond

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hopeitfloats

Re: Who have you met?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:33:11 am »

did i ever tell you guys i met.... billy currie from ultravox. played a game of soccer..sorry football with him many years ago. AND met richard hadlee

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:36:51 am »

George Baker, actor and an old fashion gentleman

Leslie Thomas, author, still playing tennis with two new hips.

Sir Hugh Gaitskell, politician and a real nice guy. Used to work on his house and take Lady Gaitskell shopping in my van.

Frankie Vaughan, singer.

Roger Moore, actor.

Cliff Richard. Singer and great tennis player.

Dickie Davies, sports journalist.

Sir John and Maurice Laing, civil engineers

Lord Inverforth, cousin of the Queen Mum.

Frank Windsor, actor.

Ian Carmichael, actor.

Richard Thompkins, founder of Green Shield Stamps.

Alan Whitehead MP.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

rmaddock

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:44 am »

I was in a film with Ben Kingsley and Michael Caine. "Without a Clue". Anybody remember that? It was a Sherlock Holmes spoof and I was an extra in the parts filmed up here in the Lakes. I can be clearly seen behind Mr Caines shoulder in one shot and have, it true British fashion, discussed the weather with Ben Kingsley  :embarrassed: {-)

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:16:29 am »

I once met Mike hailwood, Donald Healey, Lee Marvin and Keenan Wynne at a Classic car and Bike race meeting at Amaroo Park, north of Sydney in 1977.
We shared our beers with Keenan Wynne and he invited us to dinner that evening. he and Lee marvin were staying at the same hotel and carried on (amusing) abuse across the dining room from table to table...had us in stiches for most of the night.

and in 1979 I was run over by Barry Sheene at the press day of the  London Motor show.......I was watching some dolly birds sprawl their bodies over a Porche and he, in his wheelchair after his monumental crash in which he had plates in his body all over  was looking elsewhere...he ran over my foot.............I looked down, he looked up and then said something to me I'll never forget..........

"Sorry mate.......... just can't get used to four wheels".we laughed hysterically about it and then shook hands and went our own ways, lol

CF-FZG

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:40:46 am »

and in 1979 I was run over by Barry Sheene at the press day of the  London Motor show.......I was watching some dolly birds sprawl their bodies over a Porche and he, in his wheelchair after his monumental crash in which he had plates in his body all over  was looking elsewhere...he ran over my foot.............I looked down, he looked up and then said something to me I'll never forget..........

Are you sure about 1979 Neil??

Daytona was 1975 and his other 'biggie' was silverstone in 1982.

1979 was probably the best British Grand Prix ever with the Sheene and Roberts dice that just about ran for the whole race.

Oh, I met him in 1976 at Oulton Park, (when a 'Paddock Pass' was actually worth something).

Mark.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:52:59 am »

We were watching the race from the pits at Oulton one year when Barry sat up at the entry to a corner and gave the middle finger salute to someone in the crowd.  The stewards had a word with him when the race was over but took no action. I asked him what happened and he replied that someone was flashing a "F**k Sheene" T-shirt and he just wanted the guy to know he had seen it. My boy ,now over 40 , still has some links from Sheene`s bike chains collected over a couple of seasons, still treats them like jewels.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »

Oh yes here is the same kid 30 something years ago watching me paint the tartan band on Jackie Stewart`s new Buco helmet when he got his first F1 drive for BRM.
..well can you land on this?

wibplus

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:21:13 pm »

I met the Emperor Haile Selassie in Ethiopia in 1973.
I was in the forces then and we were invited to represent the British contingency at the World Navy Week.  %%  %%
The Emperor was in Addis Ababa and he came around and chatted with quite a few of us.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 07:45:24 pm »

I met the gong bloke - he came to give us a talk at school. He even brought the gong that made that sound - but it was ony about 2 ft dia. He said that one the size of the one in the picture would break all the mikes and burst eardrums!

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 07:58:47 pm »

Are you sure about 1979 Neil??

Daytona was 1975 and his other 'biggie' was silverstone in 1982.

1979 was probably the best British Grand Prix ever with the Sheene and Roberts dice that just about ran for the whole race.

Oh, I met him in 1976 at Oulton Park, (when a 'Paddock Pass' was actually worth something).

Mark.
yes.you are right.......wasn't even teaching in 1979,,had just left a school...got my wires crossed..............it would be the 82 or 83 show......... as I'd been teaching cdt and a lad in my class had entred the BP build a car competition and won his section in the under 16's.the prize was tickets for him and his family and myself to Bordon in Hampshire for the prize giving and then a hotel and car show.......so yes you are quite correct....was around the 82/83 era..........I left that school in July 83 so sometime before then............god how the brain becomes fudge at my age, lol

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »

..... one of the blokes that banged the bong - Ken Richmond.......

Let me tell you a little story about the clip. Yes, it's Ken Richmond banging the gong, but the sound that went with the clip was actually played by percussionist and lecturer James Blades. He came to my primary school when I was around 10, and gave a brilliant lecture on all sorts of percussion instruments. During that lecture, he explained that the film of the clip was fine but the sound was not what Rank wanted, so it was recorded again, with James Blades playing a much smaller gong.

I once met 60's pianist Russ Conway, that's me in the coat and the school cap!

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

mikearace

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 08:28:46 pm »

Met Jack Palance in 1975 in Venice on a run ashore with a few oppos.  He bought us a round of drinks and invited us to a party in the house he was renting while making a movie there with free booze loads of women, including willing to please actresses.  We all thought he looked a little bit like Jack Palance but agreed amongst ourselves he was just a fantasist.  Drank his beer then told him in no uncertain terms thanks for the beer but we werent that gullible we knew his game!!.  Found out next day it was Jack Palance and it was some party!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 08:31:17 pm »

I once met 60's pianist Russ Conway, that's me in the coat and the school cap!

My mother used to dress us up in those awful matinee coats as well.
Never did forgive her for the beatings we used to get from the other kids.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Cam Watterson

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:26 pm »

i met the Bolton football team a few years ago when Gary Speed still played for them, they came over to the island to play the island team and Rushen ( a southern team ) i used to play for Rushen under 10s up to under 15s, thats how i met them. Bolton hammered both teams 10-1  {-) also seen John Simm (actor, from Mad Dogs)  in the airport once.

scoop

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 09:47:05 pm »

I had a long chat with Mark Knopfler in the pits at Silverstone just after he had finished a vintage car race, very knowledgeable about classic/vintage cars and a good driver to boot  O0
I also made Dot from Eastenders a cup of tea when she opened our school fete (Lodge Park Corby) back in the Mid 80's, I think she had a slice of cake as well  :o Well I was a skool guv' at the time  {-) {-) {-)

My missus has a much better one though.......she made Cliff Richard a cup of tea once  :D :embarrassed: :embarrassed: when he visited the Civic Centre in Corby

and finally Jasper Carrot didn't turn down a lager when he came into the bar after one of his shows.

Scoop

chingdevil

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »

People I have met

The Queen
Prince Philip
Princess Anne
Lord Louise Mountbatten
Frank Borman - astronaut
Andy Green - Thrust SSC driver
Richard Nobel - Thrust SSC
Jack Odell - owner of Lledo die cast models
Richard Konstam - owner of Riko used to own Beatties
Gerry Marsdon
Jerry Lee lewis
Roger Moore
Windsor Davis
Freddie Starr

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 10:48:44 pm »

Naaa, don't believe ya....          you've met Brian ?!?!?!?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:55:38 pm »

The queen
Prince charles
Merv the swerve the gratest Welsh rugy player ever
Sir Elton John
Freddy Mercury......about 6 times
Sir Cliff Richard
Shenna Easton
Roger Clark
Brian May.......Numerous times
Roger Daltry
Roger Moore
Sterling Moss
Gwyndaf Evans ...The fastest Bus driver (Rally Driver)
Martin Mayhem.....what can I say about his character lol

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 11:04:36 pm »

Took my Dad to Donnington Museum, before he passed away, he was a great fan of Sir Stirling Moss, thought he was a hero, we went into the circuit after the museum as there was some free practice on, and guess who I saw standing in the pits! Made my Dad's day,the look on his face tells it all! a photo with his hero! :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 11:28:55 pm »

This little fellow

nhp651

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 11:46:12 pm »

Took my Dad to Donnington Museum, before he passed away, he was a great fan of Sir Stirling Moss, thought he was a hero, we went into the circuit after the museum as there was some free practice on, and guess who I saw standing in the pits! Made my Dad's day,the look on his face tells it all! a photo with his hero! :}

what a great picture, Red

as you say, your dad's face says it all......brilliant.
neil.

swordfish fairey

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »

Toyah Wilcox, one nice lady......Corrrrr!

Dreadstar

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 05:14:31 pm »

I've only met a few over the years.

Sir Matt Busby

Danny Blanchflower

Paul McGann

Kenny Baker

John Rhyss Davis(What a character that man is)

Robert Englund

Had more than a few pints with Ian Durrant over the years

Pat Jennings(The owner of the biggest pair of hands I've ever seen)

Roddie McMillan(Para Handy) (He used to stay just along the road from me)

Walter Carr

Rikky Fulton

John Glenn

Prince Charles

ACTion

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 05:28:59 pm »

Strangely I have found that even minor "celebrities" have avoided me for my entire 60 years. Is it my socks, do you suppose?  :embarrassed:
DM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 22 queries.