Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro Magic Offspring ?  (Read 4313 times)

chrislang

• Shipmate
Micro Magic Offspring ?
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:19:17 am »

Just spotted an Revell RC yacht in a local Arts & Craft shop, it's a Revell Control WAIKIKI, comes complete with a  27Mhz Tx & Rx  for £95
and bears an uncanny resemblance to a Graupner Micro Magic.

Anybody have further info.
Regards
Chris

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Micro Magic Offspring ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:58:11 am »

I have google-ed it and apart from the Amazon UK page (currently not in stock), all the information is from Dutch and German Websites.

What I can see is that it is listed on Amazon, Ebay, and toy pages. I did not see any model shop listings or reviews, at first look.

At 100 Euro RRP but most sellers offering it for less (one only 76 Euro), it cannot be in the same quality bracket as Micro Magic.

My concerns would be about poor materials choice and dodgy radio set.
A lot of RTR toy grade models use a broad 27Mhz, and do not have interchangeable crystals for specific channels. These radios are swamped out (jammed) by more powerful hobby grade 27 Mhz radio transmitters. The casing may look good, but the guts can be primitive.
I suspect for the price that this model would use toy grade radio sets.

There are lots of models based on America Cup Racers. They all look similar. They are mass produced. Some like the MM are very good. There are others that are too light to sail well and only disappoint. Some of these turn up in places like Lidle for around 15 quid, perhaps worth a tinker at that price.

If I could see the item and unpack it before buying, I might take a punt, but 95 quid is a big punt and it would have to be good. Buying this particular item on Ebay...erm... not for me.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 08:48:52 pm »

for this price i will stick with a micro magic ,AND  know im able to get replacement parts should i need them !

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:11:53 pm »

After expanding the photos, it is pretty clear this a poor knock off of the MM. Having the real thing has spoiled me and at this point would not consider one of these at any price. Hobbyking has  boat that looks a bit like a Micro Magic as well. It looks like it might be a little better quality than this one. Still not trading!

Lancejsy

• Full Mayhemer
  • How much!!
    • jerseymodelboats
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:11 pm »

One of our members has a nice new Micro Magic and it shifts in light winds.

Great boat and it only cost £120. I can see more Micros on our lake soon.

Dad built it for Roger in his workshop and he did a great job. 10/10 Graupner does it again.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:04:50 pm »

..... Hobbyking has  boat that looks a bit like a Micro Magic as well. It looks like it might be a little better quality than this one......

The pictured boat (Turnigy 610) is overpriced in my opinion although it is a reasonable boat from what I have seen regarding quality.

I am thinking the other boat you may be referring to may be the Discovery 500 made by Beili ("boat that looks like a Micro Magic") - definitely cheap (around $50) but needs a fair bit of work to get it sailing. I own one of these, have had lots of fun modifying it..... but the build quality is not too good... not a good boat for a beginner IMHO

Amateur at work...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.