Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toby's schooner  (Read 5997 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Toby's schooner
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »

I've bought Orion moulding's 40" by 9" schooner hull and am slowly working away. Great drama yesterday as the tube of superglue burst as I was fixing the mast steps into the keelson and I glued most of my RH fingers to each other and the tube. Got the steps in and sorted hand out VERY SLOWLY! Excitement again today as I drilled holes in the hull for the keel bolts.
I am very impressed by the hull - although I suspect the mould does not owe him much now it seems well made and quite rigid, and for the price it is fantastic.
Will post some pics when I have got the keel/keelson/battery box/motor mount assembly ready to bolt onto/into hull. They will also have to tie in with the bottom rudder pintle and P brackets. Great fun working all this out. Will try to steal duff battery from Daughter's camper van, as I'm going to need a fair bit of ballast.
So in answer to a recent query, people are building things - but not necessarily posting about them!

rmaddock

Re: Toby's schooner
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:19:49 am »

PICTURES!
I NEED PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:37:17 pm »

Pictures all in good time, when I have something worth showing off. In meantime have made basic keelson with mast steps and keel bolts, and cut out centre lamination of keel. Now I can bolt the hull to the keel and hold the hull in a workmate. Have cut card templates for the bulkheads at each mast position and for the end of the battery tray. However I've had to make a deck beam laminating jig to see if laminating them will work, and to see how many laminations I need before I can cut out the bulkheads and mark the deck heights on them. The good news is that having been forced to do some gardening and general clearing up of rotten fences I took the wood down to the tip, and found a couple of small drawers with nice ply bottoms so was able to bring them home to recycle as bulkheads etc. Photos will be posted when keelson is complete with bulkheads and motor and battery shelf.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:31:18 pm »

The deck beam laminating jig. Chapelle suggestt 6" in 10', so I've gone for that.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:59:43 pm »

Starting to fit bulkheads to keelson, which is a bit massive right now but will be slimmed down. The trouble with designing as I go is that I'm not quite sure where the sail winch will go, and I will need a secure mounting for it to take the pull of the sheets. However drawing plans beforehand is boring and stifles creativity. At least I know where the battery tray is going, and i have some ideas where the electrickery bits will go. I must remember not to cut out all the middle of the bow bulkhead as I'll need a support for the end of the bowsprit.
This is no masterclass!!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:26:13 pm »

Building in foremast partners and bowsprit end piece to bulkhead 1. Am also piercing hull again for bowsprit stay, and rudder post. The latter so I can work the mizzen mast partners and steering servo tray into the aft bulkhead. I've (obviously!!) never fitted out a grp hull before - its quite fun!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 11:34:09 pm »

Using my expensive precision jig to align prop shafts. Next pics when I've done some brass work for the rudder shaft end bearing and maybe shaft support brackets - still thinking about that.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »

Work still progressing, though rather slowly. After all, this is meant to be a hobby to relax rather than to increase, stress. Have sent messages to seek Dave's advice and have ordered leccy bits. Having modified the Radiolink T4 set to give me a 5th channel to work the motor switch, I have a sideways stick left over.  Perhaps I should fit a bow thruster. If so I must see how the Picasso screen wash pump works on the narrow boat - I still haven't tested it yet! Doing slow things now like shaping the keel, then have to cast the lead. Major problem is working out what order to do things in, and not fixing the keelson to the keel before I've done all the bits I won't be able to do once they are in the hull. More pictures when there's actually something to see - though I forgot to photograph the rudder foot skeg before I stuck it into the hull. Glued it in with UHU plus acrylit (brass to glass fibre) then poured Zpoxy thickened with talcum powder on from the inside, using some wax from Baby bel cheese as a coffer dam. Then to juggle rudder shaft and tube, fixed at one end to hull and at t'other to servo plate which is fixed to keelson. It keeps my mind active, I suppose.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:57:11 am »

Hi Toby

I'm enjoying the thread so far ........ and I like a slow thread too

I'm interested in the screen washer pumps performance whenever you get that far into the build.
For now do you happen to know if they are they any different to headlamp washer pumps in output?
I'm just thinking of a bow thruster that's all.

Dave

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:41:13 am »

Enjoying the build I like sail. I notice that you said that you are new to fibreglass hulls I have some experience although by no means an expert.
Some time ago Model boats mag ran an article on step by step guides to working with these hulls. A good bit of advice I took was to produce a fillet of plastic body filler between the hull and the bulkhead this spreads the stress producing a very strong bond.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:07:28 pm »

Hi folks - nice to get some reaction. Will report back on windscreen washer when scottish weather suitable for outdoor basin trials. I'm reassured to hear that plastic body filler is the approved method for attaching bulkheads to hull, as that is what I had in mind. It would have been interesting to have seen the articles, though that might have ruined all the fun. In fact knowing me, if I'd read all about how to do it I probably wouldn't have bothered to build the boat! Picture is of shaft brackets - I'm using some very slender stainless steel prop tubes so reckoned it would be easiest to slip the outers into brass tubes. So the prop tubes will be inserted into the hull from the inside, the brackets slipped over the tubes and into slots in the hull, and then the joining piece and staple attached inside the hull when all is aligned, fixed at the engine end and attached to the expensive jig shown above.  The joint will probably be soft soldered if this doesn't upset the grp too much, then covered in more epoxy/talcum gloop since soft soldered joints probably have a fairly low tolerance of any vibration.

ACTion

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »

Supplier's Note : Special leccy bits now built and are on their way to Toby.
DM

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:59:08 pm »

Leccythanks already posted on a leccy thread - you could have knocked me down with a feather when the postie called - hope you got everything done for Doncaster! Now have to consider how to make a really neat leccybox to put all the bits in with smallest possible rats nest! (I may unsolder some screw connectors and wire the relay boards together - at my own risk of course!).
 Picture attached of shafts. I've soldered brass washers to the brass bushes at the inner ends and these will be clamped in brackets fixed to the keelson. When this is done and the shaft brackets shown above (to be cleaned up in some battery acid to get the silver solder flux etc off) installed at the outer ends, I will be able to fill the holes in the hull. Shafts are resting on middle slice of keel - nut is split pinned to threaded rod keel bolt. Still shaping outer keel pieces which are cut away for the yet to be cast lead.
Incidentally, I import my photos from my camera into Picassa ("schooner" file), resize them wih Pixresizer as recommended by Martin, then save the small versions in a "Mayhem" file. I update the Mayhem file date from time to time to keep it near the top of the Picassa file list. It seems to work quite well for me - the only point to remember is to note the photo number so I can find it easily.

ACTion

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:56 am »

(I may unsolder some screw connectors and wire the relay boards together - at my own risk of course!).
Just make sure you get the polarity right or the LED won't light.
DM

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 11:53:34 pm »

Keel laminations glued and rough shaped, shown with keelson. Shows battery basket, engine mounting holes, shaft end steadies. Now to work out weight needed, and cast lead and fix to keel before bolting it all up tight. Keel is not to be easily detachable, so may use body filler between keel and hull, and bed keelson on silicone before sticking bulkheads in with body filler or epoxy/talcum gloop.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:52 pm »

Useful day. Sealed various holes in hull with tape and put hull with keelson and battery in test tank. It needed 5.2 Kg to get down to the marks, and the motors, shafts ACTion bits etc will be about 1.2 Kg. So I've got about 4 Kg left for Masts, decking, deckhouses, sail winch etc. I hope to have some left to hang on the bottom of the keel. This afternoon SWMBO watched the tennis and I had a happy couple of hours making up ACTion kits. So we were both happy! 

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:33:55 am »

This afternoon SWMBO watched the tennis and I had a happy couple of hours making up ACTion kits. So we were both happy! 
[/quote]

I would treat her to a box set of Tennis tournaments or Wimbledon or something, for being so understanding. {-) {-)

just think of the extra hours that would give you.  :-))

john

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 09:35:06 pm »

Keel fixed to hull with ronseal rot filler (smells just like car body filler) , bolted through hull to keelson with motors mounted, and thickened epoxycote run down under keelson. Shafts inner ends fitted to brackets on keelson, shaft supports soldered together within hull, and all holes to be filled when rudder tube fitted. All taking a long time but this is a hobby not a job!

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 12:09:41 am »

this is a hobby not a job!
{-) but you are making a such good job of it {-)

Dave

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 06:09:31 pm »

Slight delays caused by trips to Wales (hooray) and working on the church restoration grant application (ugh!) Was wondering how to stick bulkheads and the strips to hold the ends of the deck beams to the grp hull and found a cartridge of "Evo Stick Nail and Seal extra strong waterproof grab adhesive and sealant" at B&Q. So I'm trying that and will post photos and report on whether it worked later on. I am wondering whether to use it to fair in the shaft/hull gaps. I knnow body filler is the usual, but this stuff is overpaintable, so I might just give it a go. I can always dig it out if it doesn't work.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 12:48:40 pm »

"Strips to hold end of deck beams" was worrying me so I sought out my copy of Chapelle's "Boatbuilding" - I meant sheer clamps. Work proceeding apace and deck beams laminated from coffer stirrers are now in and hatch coamings being fitted. Not very good but great fun.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:38 pm »

Work proceeding gently. Sheer clamps have not yet fallen into the bilge, so maybe the stick n' seal works. I've got enough of the 7" long narrow thick deck beam laminating coffee stirrers, but may be a bit short of the 5" long wide thin ones. If only I could remember which came from where! 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »

Long sticks from Costa Coffee, Short Mcdonald's, That's where I get mine. When I go race mechanic for my son and his mates I get a free breakfast, and free sticks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.