Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: County Class Cruisers, ww2 era.  (Read 4951 times)

Daemon

County Class Cruisers, ww2 era.
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:38:10 pm »

Hi people, I'm about to start building a county class cruiser in 1/96th scale and I'm curious as to which (electric) motors to use, would graupner 500s suffice?

Also, does anyone know where I might find a set of plans for building one in this scale?

I was thinking of doing the planned HMS Northumberland, but any county class would suffice.

Thanks, Dave.

pugwash

Re: County Class Cruisers, ww2 era.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:43:49 am »

Dave I will soon be starting cruiser HMS Lion which is slightly smaller than the County class cruisers - I am fitting 4 x 550 motors as
supplied by Action electronics - will also be fitting his P92, P94 and P95 electronics.

Geoff

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

expat flyer

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »

Hi people, I'm about to start building a county class cruiser in 1/96th scale and I'm curious as to which (electric) motors to use, would graupner 500s suffice?

Also, does anyone know where I might find a set of plans for building one in this scale?

I was thinking of doing the planned HMS Northumberland, but any county class would suffice.

Thanks, Dave.

Fleetscale do plans for £15 at 1/128, also a hull without torpedo bulges.
Deans do a hull in their Mouldeans range 1/96 with bulges.

Accurate plans also from National Maritime Museum at a price.

Les accurate plans in Profile Morskie (Kent, London, Canberra) and various Russian books with many photos.

Daemon

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:46:44 pm »

Thanks Expat!

bobk

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:29 pm »

Daemon:  Having a fibre glass hull in the scale you are looking for sounds a good place to start.  Plans at 1/128 can be scaled, and at least show the important detail you need.  Also several good sources of 1/96 WW2 warship fittings around too.  ie; John R Haynes, Deans, etc.  Great looking ships, with a proud history.  I look foreward to seeing your project take shape.

farrow

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:11:29 pm »

There is now a very good book just publiished on this class by shipcraft, the detail it goes into is good for individual boats and it describes all the kits and semi kits past and present. A very good reference book to start from, I have just purchased one from Amazon.

ships doctor

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:40:17 pm »

Hi Dave,

I'm currently building HMS Suffolk 1/96th based on the Dean's Marine hull. I've posted some of the build on the Dean's forum.

The references I've found useful are-
Man o'War 1 County Class - lots of photos of all the ships plus drawings of Suffolk.
Raven & Roberts British Cruisers of WW2- much the same info as above
Profile Morskie- HMS Kent has reasonable drawings, they can be corrected from photos, the basic structures are there.
Norman Ough Plans of HMS Dorsetshire - these have profile & hull lines for the Norfolk Subclass, plus lots of deck details, fittings etc that were common to all three subclasses. (These might be best for you if you're interested in Northumberland)
Shipcraft- of some use, some interesting photos but the drawings are restricted to plan & profile. 

I can't remember which motors I used- they are screwed down inside the hull with the labels covered! Possibly Kondors from Dean's Marine? They are on 6V supply.

Hope the build goes well

James

bismarck builder

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:59:16 am »

hi
the counties have very high freeboard but stability is not a problem
6 volt 550's pushed my fleetscale along nicley
when building the counties watch out as over the 3 classes the only thing that did not change position were the 8" turrets and the 3 funnels
anyway good luck il be watching your build with inertest
cheers
gary

vwlucas

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:59:33 pm »

Hello,

I have built a French 10.000 Ton cruiser, l'Algérie. Scale 1/100.
About the same dimensions as a county class.

For the propulsion, I used only two motors Graupner 500, 6 Volt.

The external propellers are not moving.

farrow

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:40 pm »

Hi Daemon, which counties are you invisaging, the WW2 Northumberland was ordered but cancelled in defence cuts by Labour. But there was a WW1 Northumberland.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »

Hi
 don't know if this is of any help ,but i built the HMS Ajax plank on frame hull at 1-96 scale and she is driven by 4x500 motors driving 30mm props , nowbuilding the HMS Exeter at 1-96 scale but on this one i am using 2x 500 on the outboard shaftsand 2x600 on the inboard shafts

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

farrow

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »

Looks very good Bluebird, hope to see more pics as she comes on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.