Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Subscriptions...  (Read 3063 times)

bikerdude666

Model Boats Subscriptions...
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:34:19 am »

I signed up for the subscription on the 9th Feb, and got a confirmation email, does anyone know when if they'll send the free TX with the 1st magazine, or should it come before then, also should I have had more than the initial confirmation email?

thanks, don't want to get on to emailing them if it's normal practice...

ACTion

Re: Model Boats Subscriptions...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:14 am »

I had a free Tx in the last round that they were offered. It took four weeks from actually confirming my subscription as MHS had to ascertain how many transmitters they needed before they ordered them - it seems that they don't carry a stock in advance. It will come - it just takes a while.
(Strange, but that's the second posting I've made this morning about customer expectation from MHS.............weird or what?)
DM

bikerdude666

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:18:08 am »

Thanks, will sit back and wait a couple more weeks then, think the 1st mag is due in about a week.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:23:23 am »

Dave is right. The take up on these special offers varies considerably so MHS wait until the offer has expired and order how many they need. Not much point in ordering a couple of hundred trannies in advance if you find you only need 100.

There is a curious psychological phenomenon here really. Personally, I would decide to subscribe to a magazine based on the quality of the content rather than on an up front freebie (which I probably don't actually need) and would prefer a discount on the subscription rate instead. However, it does seem that the freebies are more popular and of course they do have the merit of enticing people who are not already familiar with the magazine to take out a sub and hopefully become hooked on it.

It's a similar situation with women's magazines. Anything with a picture of Kate Middleton on the cover sells like hot cakes although I'm not sure if you'd describe her as a freebie...

Colin

bikerdude666

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:34:46 am »

Lol such a strange image of 200 trannies turning up at the publishers office...

As for the offer, I have to admit, like most things like this, I will probably get a few pages into it, stop reading and just flick through the pics, as I normally do, only really subscribed as I'm in need of another transmitter so to me, it's more like buying a cheap TX and getting a free magazine each month! Lol

As for Kate Middleton, I really don't get the fuss, she's not even that good looking, and the fuss they made of pipa middletons a$$ was ridiculous, completely over rated!

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:41:56 pm »

My free Tx came before they had collected the money :-))

I went for the offer because I realised I could sell the Tx and subsidise my subscription ok2 So there were two winners - I get a cheap sub, someone got a cheap Tx :-)) :-)) The crazy thing is its not all that long since I cancelled my previous sub.

Barrie

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 05:15:09 pm »

For my subs I recieved the charger set, it took just under 4 weeks, but as mentioned in comments above above I expected this and so was not jumping up and down when it had not arrived 3 weeks before I had ordered it..  :}

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:00:52 am »

I had trouble with my subscription but Colin tried to help me sort it out. When I screamed loud enough I got instant action. I like the Mag & hope to renew my subscription. We don't get the freebees in Canada so I am jealous guys, you lucky sods, LOL.Mick B.
Mick B.

bikerdude666

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:25:01 am »

I had trouble with my subscription but Colin tried to help me sort it out. When I screamed loud enough I got instant action. I like the Mag & hope to renew my subscription. We don't get the freebees in Canada so I am jealous guys, you lucky sods, LOL.Mick B.

you should get someone to take the subscription out for you, and forward the mags and freebies! lol

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:49 am »

I am intrigued as to why the offer is for a Tx ONLY.

You would think that there would be a lot of trouble from new readers attracted by the offer who don't realise that a receiver is also needed, even though this is stated. Customers are notorious for not reading everything. Given that the kit expects to sell as a Tx/Rx combination, I wonder if it's a lot cheaper to just provide a Tx?

And to my mind it reads a little like the classic scam "FREE CAR! (engine, wheels, bodywork and doors extra)...

ACTion

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:38:05 am »

I would guess that J Perkins are selling the transmitters (at a reduced price maybe?) to MHS in anticipation of folks buying the receivers at the standard price from their retail agents. That way they've made a sale which they otherwise would not have done - and maybe further sales of receivers or even full sets to the same new customers later. MHS, in turn, are taking the hit for the price of the transmitters to lure in new subscriptions. It's only promotional goods with a twist - not a dastardly plot!
DM

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:08:36 am »

I thought of that biker but I have a subscription already. They should send us the TX if we paid the cost of shipping, I think that would be fair, I wonder what you think Colin, ?.I know you have some contacts with the mag. Mick B.
Mick B.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:51 am »

It beggars the question regarding their claim, to be the worlds largest selling boat magazine or words to that effect, yet, any special offers, for example transmitters, are not for overseas buyers.?????????????????/  O0 O0 {:-{ {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:53:13 am »

It's not always that simple. Sending stuff abroad could double the shipping costs and a promotion that costs a large proportion of the value of the product you are trying to sell isn't good business sense.

There can also be issues with infringing distribution rights in overseas countries.

As for asking people to meet the shipping costs, the administrative overhead incurred simply wouldn't be worth it and for these low value items you would be better off simply buying the stuff direct either locally or from Hong Kong.

The whole point of offering these promotions is to entice people into taking out a subscription for the magazine which it is then hoped they will continue with because they enjoy reading it.  It isn't a reward for long standing customers That is standard industry practice across many areas of commerce I'm afraid.

Colin

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14:33 am »

Colin,

That is fair comment and makes good business sense.

However why not have an offer, let us say, 13 copies for the price of 12, which could be applied world wide and would not incur unreasonable or uneconomic added costs.

I realise you can't speak for the publishers but you may have some insight, sometimes you have to wonder who comes up with these schemes and do they actually think them through.

The target group, those receiving the offer are local. It therefore follows local subscriptions will increase.

In effect, you could say that, overseas subscribers are  subsidising the 'local' subscription gimmicks.

It would be natural for overseas subscriptions to fall off, hence my comment about being Worlds bigest selling Magazine.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 10:33:02 am »

Well, actually you do get 13 copies for the price of 12 if you compare with the main competitor.....

I only do freelance work for MHS, I have no particular insights into their commercial thinking except that it will be geared to what they perceive as their best interests in running a business. Clearly if it didn't work they wouldn't do it.

I have experienced exactly the same policies with another magazine I subscribe to so MHS are hardly alone.

However, if you want a definitive answer, why not email them direct and simply ask them, otherwise it's all just speculation.

Colin

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:15 am »

I do like the mag even if I feel cheated watching you guys getting free radio's & air brush kits etc. I do understand what Colin is saying though, most things look simple until you look below the surface. I will renew my subscription when it comes due & continue to enjoy a very good mag.. Mick B.
Mick B.

bikerdude666

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 10:41:52 am »

However why not have an offer, let us say, 13 copies for the price of 12, which could be applied world wide and would not incur unreasonable or uneconomic added costs.

Then people like me, with no great interest in the magazine wouldn't subscribe, the way I see it, I've bought a radio at the going rate, and got 13 magazines free..... and then when the subs up, I'll see  if I want the free gift again, and if not I'll wait until they offer something I do want...

bikerdude666

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »

Got the Tx today, and I have to say it's very nice, don't want to let my Gf have it for her duck now, maybe I'll let her have my GiantCod set and use the planet myself, feels very nice and smooth, and with the 5th channel toggle switch it seems more suitable for me! Now just waiting for the magazine but still got a week before that's supposed to be here!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 02:59:37 pm »

Now just waiting for the magazine but still got a week before that's supposed to be here!

If you can't wait, there's a couple of subscriber only articles from it on the Model Boats website..... (plus the cover and contents pages)

Colin

bikerdude666

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 03:33:39 pm »

How do I access that? I assume I need a username and password? I'll have a look later...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 07:38:33 pm »

How do I access that? I assume I need a username and password? I'll have a look later...

You need to register on the Model Boats website and enter your subscriber number on one of the details pages. If you don't have the number then you'll have to wait until you get the next issue as it is printed on the packaging.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.