Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 9' 9 1/2" CV-6 Enterprise  (Read 2737 times)

Mike_K

My 9' 9 1/2" CV-6 Enterprise
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:23:21 pm »

Here a some photos of my CV-6 carrier, the USS Enterprise of WWII fame.  It was built by a friend who's long gone now.  he gave it to me a long time ago and it has been hanging from the roof rafters in my garage for over a decade.  The mice moved in.  Well, the mice have been evicted and I plan to make this an RC vessel.  I ordered the motors for it today-- four 700 sized johnson motors to be runs as pairs on port and starboard sides.  I'll probably use a simple wiring circuit that I found on line to reverse the opposite set of shafts on 1/2 and full rudder to assist in turning the beast.  I may have to run it on the larger part of the pond as I don't think it will turn around in my narrow section.

As you can see, it's in a bit of a rough state.  I'll have to sand down the entire hull and seal it and glass it..  The hull is of B&B construction up to the level of the maintenance deck below the flight deck and stick and sheet above.  It is all balsa!  I haven't seen balsa in this size for a very , very long time.

Melville--  If you see this posting can you tell me the current weight of your 9 footer?  I'm trying to estimate my ballast needs.

Regards,
Mike

Mike_K

Re: My 9' 9 1/2" CV-6 Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:29:29 pm »

Sorry about the sideways photos.  They show up as rotated correctly on my photo browser.  Don't know how to fix them here.  Any suggestions?

Here's a few more photos:

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:13:12 pm »

Lovely ship.  Well worth having a go at restoration

With reference to the sideways pics. You can rotate them and re-save them in the new position. 

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 12:18:55 pm »

I guess you like a challenge! Good luck with the repairs - I often think that's a harder job than starting from scratch.

I'd be interested in the circuit yo say you are going to use for steering assistance. Can you give the URL or more details?

Rick

Mike_K

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:55:15 pm »

Rick,

I agree, the thought of restoring this model is a bit unpleastant and making it a good running RC model is a daunting task.  It needs to be done though.

The schematic of the circuit is too big to post here.  Here's the link to the SubPirates site on which I found the motor reversing circuit:

http://www.subpirates.com/viewtopic.php?t=2354&highlight=reversing+switch

Regards,
Mike

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:02:39 pm »

Thanks for the info, Mike.

Rick

Mike_K

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 12:34:23 am »

This is a copy and paste from a post I just submitted:

A quick note to follow up on the motors I ordered:  They arrived a few weeks back and I wasn't happy with the low speed performance of the motors with any of the esc's that I have.  I've found that the Astro Flight 208D Marine esc is a very, very nice unit.  I was lucky enough to find a brand new pair on ebay for a very nice price.  I haven't tested them with the Astro Wattmeter under load yet but the lowest speed on the Astro's is very slow tick-over of the prop.  One of my favorite things to do is to have the throttle set for just a few clicks of power and see if I can maintain control with the prop just ticking over.  When I get couplings and prop shafts sorted I'll test and post the results.

These are the motors that I ordered for the CV-6: 
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DCM-266/400200/DC_MOTOR,_3-24_VDC_.html

As for the weight of this great beast, I think that it will be approximately 125 lbs (57kg).  I haven't done any calculations just a guess based on some similar sized models I've read about.

Mike

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 10:31:51 am »

Mike,
You are in the same position I was in with my 1/72 Prinz Eugen.
When you are rubbing her down try to avoid using "wet and dry" wet.
On mine she had been left for some 10 years too and the wood had dried out so if I got her wet it took over a week for the hull to dry out.
On mine I eventually rubbed her down dry then gave her 5 good coats of primer, then 4 coats of undercoat, all oil based, then rubbed her down with wet and dry.
Yes it took ages but the hull now is as good if not better than new.
An easy way to get a pretty good displacement figure if the inside of the hull is waterproof is to pour water INSIDE her till it reaches the waterline.
If you weigh the water as it is going in this will give you the displacement weight less the volume of any frames and the thickness of the B&B hull.
Personally I don't think it would be a good idea for you to use it on this model, but is useful for further info.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Mike_K

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 02:55:09 am »

I have never fiberglassed a wooden model before so I need a little advice.  I have a chance to buy either 3/4 ounce or 2 ounce fiberglass cloth for a nice price.  Which should I choose and how many layers should I apply?

Thanks,
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.