Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: krick 7b sub  (Read 2973 times)

wadsworthj

krick 7b sub
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:56 am »

Hi All.
        I never see anything in regards to the krick 7b sub kit, on this site.
Is it not popular ,or not in production any more.
Answers in a plain brown onvelope please.  Cheers John.W.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: krick 7b sub
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:38:06 am »

Urrrgh!

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:17:55 am »

Don't know about "Urrgh", sounds a bit OTT to me...if you have the time and patience you can make a fairly reasonable operational sub out of the kit. They are a bit flimsy I'm told, and the cutting out of those bl*&^/>ed flood holes and slots can be a pain in the "bottom", but with perseverance it can be done tidily.

I've never built one, I did build it's predecessor though, the one with the ABS deck and bread/butter wood hull and that was perfectly ok, but that was a totally different animal.

I guess the way to go is to find someone who has built one or who owns one, and ask them for an honest opinion, then draw your own conclusions from there.

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:00:10 am »

The Krick is over £300. That is a lot of beer vouchers for a vac-formed boat of poor design. Time you add all the other bits and bobs, you've dropped about £400-500 to see it in the water.

A Belgian modeller has one, his opinion of it was a lot more blunt than mine I can tell you.

Had two of these show up at the Dive-ins, both experienced issues with leakage, and one went all the way to the bottom on its maiden voyage.

Certainly an experienced modeller may be able to make a reasonable boat out of this kit, but why not start off with a decent kit in the first place- it's not like Type VII kits are rare.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:44 am »

John, you seem to be hopping about from model to model- Seawolf, Hecht, Seaview, Type VII etc.

I know all the options available seem exciting, but it's worth remembering that when it comes to submarines, what you will notice most when running one, is the handling of the boat and it's reliability.

As a beginner to the hobby, what you require is a good solid boat that is fairly easy to set-up, run and transport. The Seawolf is a nice simple design and well proven, build it as standard and enjoy running it. Perhaps add a leveller.

For the next step, consider looking out for a secondhand Sheerline Akula. These crop up fairly regularly in the small ads in MMI and MB magazines, and on ebay now and again. Generally the price range is usually £200-300- the sort of price you'd pay for that pile of plastic from Krick, but instead you get a rugged cylindrical pressure hull and GRP hull.

This boat is very tough, solidly engineered, small enough to be transported easily and they're fun to sail. The ballast system is a straightforward design that requires the bare minimum of maintenance, yet works extremely well. The boats are designed and built in the UK, so parts availability is excellent, however it's unlikely you'll need much.

With a second hand purchase, you may need to replace the battery, possibly the pressure hull seals and give the hull a spruce up, but a new battery is only a few quid, and you would have to paint a new model anyway.

wadsworthj

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:21:50 pm »

Hi subculture.
                   i must say that i am somewhat concerned, that you seem to be following my every move.
However, your info is well intentioned. Do not be conerned, only by frerreting around, does anyone learn, what is out there and whether  or not it wil make
a good investment of ones time and money.
The more i ask, the more i learn.
I have purchased a seawolf the basic one, and will run it as dynamic, but am looking forward to what might make a suitable next buy, to go static.
Gerrit!!
I do not favour twin screw jobs but wish to keep it simple, and i am slowly leaning towards oneman subs.models by design products, but nothing is written im
tablets of stone.
But thanks for the advice.

Cheers    John.W.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:50:10 pm »

Don't worry, I'm not cyber stalking you!

Midget boats make excellent subjects as they can be large in scale. The MBD hulls are the fomer Darnell range, originally they were supplied as complete kits, but now you just get the fibreglass mouldings, and the rest is left to the builder.

Goingdown

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:41:29 am »

I can certainly agree with subculture - as it was my krick 7 b that went to the bottom  ok2.   

As a relative novice to submarines I really didn't appreciate the pressures that a model submarine has to cope with, and the resulting distortion that the flimsy water tight box experiences at normal depths.   This really came to light after reading Norberts book on submarine technology, and I cannot see why you would want to use any thing but a cylinder for a watertight compartment.  I am currently re working it as I am determined to get it to function at least reasonably well, but it was pretty disheartening to see it fail so spectacularly.   In hindsight a robbe U47 would have been a far better bet as you can upgrade it with a piston tank at a later date and it had a cylindrical pressure vessel.

All the best with whatever you choose.

Guy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:18:21 am »

Certainly if you build a boat to the specs in Norberts book, you will have something very dependable, but you can usually get away with something far more modest provided you take into account the limitations of the design and choose where you sail carefully.

In regards to the Krick, as standard I would regard it as a 'dipper'- not to be taken too far beyond periscope depth, may be three feet or so max.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.