Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to make black / dark coloured smoke  (Read 16608 times)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: how to make black / dark coloured smoke
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 09:24:17 pm »

The use of calcium carbide to produce acetalyne gas is ok but the residue can set like concrete. a water drip or feed of some kind is needed. probably best to buy an old carbide lamp. Why would anyone wish to cover a boat in sooty smuts? To me it would be too much effort. Good luck anyway. John. 

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 06:03:28 pm »

I was thinking of using black smoke powder to simulate back exhaust fumes. I will use black powder from cartridges used to simulate smoke in movies or instructional purposes for fire fighters. Just have to find a way to get the stuff burning (a small quantity), only if the engine is starting or on full power .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyqSryP-ss
Cheers
Danielle

All lost pictures of the N. Loredana ---> visit the following link:
https://nuovaloredana.imgur.com/all/
All pictures can be found on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fvcorneliamarie
https://www.facebook.com/MpNuovaLoredana/

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 06:36:18 pm »

We use smoke powder as part of our display routines. Usually white, but we also use a small amount of orange, and have used black in the past. What we find is that on occasions, the coloured smoke will initially catch fire before extinguishing and 'allowing the smoke out'. The only times we used black was in a similar preparatory product like the one shown in the video. These were 4oz units, enclosed in an aluminium can. Very effective, but at least two caught fire and were hot enough to partially melt the aluminium outer casing. So, it would be best to proceed with caution, test everything first.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 08:36:17 pm »

Unless you are like Unbuilt Nautilus or Surf's Up, namely insured and registered as competent with pyrotechnic materials, I would avoid such attempts for reasons mentioned by the proprietor of Hunter models. There are other issues whereby pond/lake owners may not like their water fouled with any particulates as 'oil rainbows' where particulates have fallen on the water as well as your model. Also, your club may not be insured for hazards from combustible materials.

The days of do as you will are sadly over. We can get away with things but often someone sees us doiung things and then more noisesome things hit the fan than oily smoke  :((

Ironically, it was found that light oil in the water curbed the growth of pond weed. I would appreciate a little help each year from some oil in keeping our blooming weed down.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 12:01:00 am »

Now Danielle......that smoke is absolutely  :kiss: ......if only we could adopt it without our Health & Safety people saying  >>:-(

It could be used like the image below......Derek

PS....my guess is that this tug is not a coal fired steamer, but an oil fired boiler with extremely bad combustion ??
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.