Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: graupner weisel  (Read 9524 times)

otto

graupner weisel
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:34 pm »

Hi I am new to this so bear with me a little.I am rebuilding a Weisel patrol boat,so far so good.it has been fitted with 3 graupner 200 6v motors.with 3 blade props.even at full voltage,the turn of speed is not fast,someone suggested 12 volts would be ok,for short periods,even this with 50 amp esc is not what you would expect.using 2 6v gell cells as ballast,boat weighs about 5 kilos,and seems to need it in tight turns, or sidesway is frightening.Am I looking for performance which is simply not there? Motors,props change?boat looks great on/off the water, re paint in mid grey,off white transforms  looks,just needs that bit of zip...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: graupner weisel
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:03:53 pm »

3 x 550 motors on 7.2 or even 9.6 volts should have her going very nicely.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

otto

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:08:26 pm »

Thanks for that.appreciated.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »

Mr Jacket recommends Speed 500E motors if you want to go to 12v. 200 motors are far too small.
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Graupner%20Wiesel.pdf
FLJ

otto

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:59:16 pm »

thanks for the info.

SinWin

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 05:41:52 pm »

Excuse me for breaking into this thread, but may I ask what the numbers 200/300/500 and so forth refer to? Is it the number of windings?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 07:15:52 pm »

No - it refers to the size of the motor case. The number and thickness of the windings are a whole different matter, and aren't identified in the generic reference code at all.
FLJ

SinWin

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:50:40 am »

Aha! Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me!

Roadrunner

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:17:19 am »

I have the Weisel sat in my workshop waiting to be built, for it i have already purchased 3, 400 sized motors running off a single 25A esc, i have'nt decided what voltage to run at, but im considering going with a 12v 3Ah La battery as they are just slim enough to sit below deck, but i may hook up two 6v 4.5A La in parallel depending on weight or space. as this boat should up on a plane weight is worth thinking about, as im running 3, 400, i know a single 12v or two 6v will not weight the boat down to much, but it is worth looking into 7.2V nihm batterys maybe running only twin props ( two outters ) and leave the central free running.

At the moment this is a bit of early planning rather then fact, but i won't get round to building it for at least a year, so let us know how you get on.

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 11:06:59 pm »

i had the weisel which i converted to the kartel see the main website under your models for pics

i had mine with two 380's on the outer shafts with independant controls at 6v for manouverability and it would cruise around all day

on the centre shaft which would kick in at full throttle i had a 540 on 8.4v and it would take off like a scalded cat.

phil

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:39:31 am »

i had the weisel which i converted to the kartel see the main website under your models for pics

i had mine with two 380's on the outer shafts with independant controls at 6v for manouverability and it would cruise around all day

on the centre shaft which would kick in at full throttle i had a 540 on 8.4v and it would take off like a scalded cat.

phil

Hi Phil

This caught my eye.  May I ask how the  "kicking in"  was achieved please.

regards

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:38 am »

put simply i had a servo parallel connected with the speed controller. this had a microswitch on top which made contact at full forward throw and turned on the 540 full power.

a more modern solution i think one of the manufacturers i think action now do a mixer with three speed controllers that may do

phil

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 04:57:15 am »

Hello fellow modelers of the Graupner Wiesel!

I have been building this kit for many, many, years.  I started out just building the kit (and had set it aside for family reasons), but when I got re-started, the internet was now in place and I found oodles of information so I went about making a lot of mods.  (I also have documented these mods.)

But for what I see here, many of the builders are on the wrong track!  These Zobel Class, Type 147 (& 142A) "schnellboots" have four motors and shafts (not 2) and two rudders (not three).  The look on the finished model is more stunning with the four shafts and props.  If you are able to make modifications, I recommend going the scale route.

I built mine with four Graupner "Speed 300" motors driving Graupner 30mm props.  The inner shafts are shorter than the outer shafts.  I have two Viper "Marine 25" speed controllers, one for each outer motor for slow speed turning.  I will be doing my first in the water test in a week to see how they perform.  I have not connected the inner motors yet, waiting on how the outer ones perform by themselves.  The inner ones can be turned on and off forward only by servo activated microswitches for a speed boost if needed.

For more information, please see my website at:  http://www.lewsmodelboats.info then select the "Schnellboot" tab.

Lew
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 05:07:03 am »

Here is a photo of my under hull confiuration:

Lew
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:32:28 am »

Martin....if is not important in the Grand scheme of things...but this is not a posting by me....  {-) [derekwarner_decoy]......

So there must be a few confused   :o electron strings or connections somewhere  %) ......Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Spook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 08:22:32 am »

Sorry to hijack the thread but I too have inherited some posts about a model powerboat that were not made by me, but by somebody possibly called Neal and/or Doddy. Not a problem but I thought you'd like to know.  ;)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 08:33:46 am »

Thanks Spook.... :-))...... it will just reinforce to Martin & his crew of the few confused electron strings or connections  >>:-( somewhere  ....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.