Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor noise  (Read 5249 times)

Glennboy

Motor noise
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »

Hi
i am building the Rosegarth, i have a T12 motor driving a 4 bladed left had propellor via a 150mm shaft, the motor has a Viper 15 as the controller.
I have just installed it all and got it running, at first the was a very slight vibration on the motor, but i re-aligned it and its fine now. The problem now seems to be a very high pitched whistle / screeming noise from the motor when its being used between slow speed and medium speeds. At full spped it seems ok, the noise is in both forward and reverse directions.  

I ran the motor in as per MMMs instructions.

Can anyone advise me as to what the problem can be.

chingdevil

Re: Motor noise
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:06:28 pm »

Mtronic esc's have the tendancey to produce this noise at slow speeds, all mine do it. I do not notice it when the boat is on the water, I am sure it is to do with the way they work, I am sure there is someone on here who can give you the technical reason why it happens.

Brian

TailUK

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:32:48 pm »

I got exactly the same thing running a Deans Marine Kyte motor with a Viper 15.  Our electronic guy says its the pulses from the speed control  trying to make the motor turn and it continues until the motor actually begins to turn then deminishes.  He said it like the buzz you get from loud speakers but I'm not quite sure what he means.  We are working on an electronic solution trying to smooth out the control pulses or some such. I'll let you know how we get on.  The only other advice is to make sure there is as little load on the motor so it'll begin to turn sooner and to get use to the noise if you don't want a new ESC.

cuppa

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »

I have a viper 15 and it produces the same noise for me at slow and medium speeds regardless of the motor type (so far I have tried a couple of MIG 400's, a 555 and a T4). Does not seem to harm the motor but does not sound nice in the workshop - must admit i do not notice the noise when the boat is on the water.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:40 pm »

Its a very common question, using the site search button with ESC noise, whine ESC motor whine etc will bring up plenty of examples like this http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6373.0

He said it like the buzz you get from loud speakers but I'm not quite sure what he means.
A motor consists of wire wound round a piece of iron in close company with a strong magnet.  A loudspeaker consists of wire coiled round a former in close company to a strong magnet.  It is also fixed to a cone to enable it to move air to let you hear what is going on.  The motor coil does not have the cone, but when presented with electric current being switched on and off rapidly, does the best it can to move air in sympathy.  This produces a sound at the running frequency of the ESC.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Glennboy

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »

Thanks for your replies, I have spoken to Brian at MMM and he has basically said exactly the same as whats been written on this thread, he has advised me to go for a new ESC, Ive now ordered a Electonize, on his advice.

I will speak to the shop where I bought this Viper and see if I can return it, as I really cant stand this noise, it is even interfering with my sound unit now.

Thanks guys anyway

ZZ56

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 01:45:02 am »

Check what the switching frequency is on the Electronize, otherwise it might end up producing the same whistle.  Generally, the higher the frequency the less noisy it will be.

ACTion

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:34:28 am »

Check what the switching frequency is on the Electronize, otherwise it might end up producing the same whistle.  Generally, the higher the frequency the less noisy it will be.
Sorry to disagree in public, but it's the HF speed controllers which produce motor whine at slow speed. Our Condor ESCs all run at 50Hz and the only noise from the motor is a low growl, depending on the type of motor. Most are silent.
DM

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:42:39 am »

And the moral of all this is simple really but the best ACTion and forget the rest..........................Nothing at all to do with ACTion but a VERY happy customer

Dave

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 09:22:13 am »

I also am a very happy ACTion customer, you get no BS from Dave. I still can' figure out how there is so many problems with ESC"S & people in our hobby continue to purchase them despite the complaints when much better ones are available on the market. If it is a price thing can someone tell me the difference or explain. Mick B. PS = ACTion also is one of our Forum sponsors, it might be nice if we gave them first kick of the cat, considering their ESC is rated one of the best on the market.
Mick B.

ZZ56

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 03:56:08 am »

Sorry to disagree in public, but it's the HF speed controllers which produce motor whine at slow speed. Our Condor ESCs all run at 50Hz and the only noise from the motor is a low growl, depending on the type of motor. Most are silent.
DM

There must be a frequency range for whining, then, as I have a 32khz controller that doesn't produce sound either, but a 3khz one that does.  I don't know what the range for human ears is offhand. 

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:27:15 am »

There must be a frequency range for whining, then, as I have a 32khz controller that doesn't produce sound either, but a 3khz one that does.  I don't know what the range for human ears is offhand. 
Standard telephone response is 300Hz to 3.3KHz which is adequate for voice.  HiFi CDs stop around 14KHz, similar to VHF broadcast quality, which is about as far as most human ears can go with music.  Higher frequencies than that will annoy the few people who can hear that high a pitch, and probably all of the dogs in the neighbourhood, provided that the armature of the motor can actually respond to that high a frequency.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 10:38:53 am »

Sometimes it is a blessing having bad hearing, however before anybody jumps on me for that remark, my best hearing is only a 45% loss & is as high as a 75% loss depending on the frequency. The world we live in today is for the most part full of unwanted noise anyway that you are better off not hearing if you can avoid it. My car or van never has any rattles either. Having poor hearing is also convenient sometimes when you don't want to "hear"what the better half is saying , L.O.L. There are advantages to most things , finding them can be a problem though. Mick B.
Mick B.

Glennboy

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 03:35:17 pm »

Hi
Thanks for all your comments.

The Electronize FR30HX speed controller has arrived and has been installed, and guess what NO MOTOR NOISE, Im over the moon with it, so simple to install and set up. worked 1st time, no fuss, no hassle and no screeming motor noise.

I would recommend this item to anyone.  I have nothing to do with this company, Im just a very very happy customer

Many thanks

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 04:27:58 pm »

I suppose someone has to add this....

http://www.freehearingtest.com/test.shtml     {:-{

Myself, I can't hear many of the tones, because the voices in my head keep arguing...   %% %%

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 04:32:08 pm »

NO MOTOR NOISE  O0 O0 O0 O0

Is it running?  %%  %%  %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.