Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterproofing the canopy / deck of Joysway Magic Cat RTR  (Read 1999 times)

scrat15

Waterproofing the canopy / deck of Joysway Magic Cat RTR
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:33 pm »

Hi everyone, pretty much first post on this forum, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.  I'm getting back into RC after a long time but at this stage I'm only really comfy with RTR stuff as my modelling experience is not very technical.

I have the Joysway Magic Cat, which is fantastic.  Here are somy images (two are from the Vee-hull version but its essentially the same design upper hull / canopy wise)

Water entering the model is quite a significant issue as at low speeds it will often have water flooding the deck as it sits so low in the water.  On a review it was suggested that 'hockey tape' be applied to the canopy perimeter.  Elsewhere I have heard suggested a bead of silicone gel be run around the outside of the canopy edge.  What do you recommend?  The thing that confuses me about the tape is ease of removing the canopy after it is applied, and how much water would reduce the adhesiveness.  I will vaseline the rudder servo rod entrance into the hull.

Cheers,
Charlie

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waterproofing the canopy / deck of Joysway Magic Cat RTR
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:45:32 pm »

The lads at my club use clear tape. It sticks well and seems to come off ok. This does need applying each time the top is off. Its on e bay model boats or any decent boat modeling shop should have it. John.

scrat15

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:29:00 pm »

Thanks

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:26:01 pm »

I use Sellotape Diamond Clear. Its waterproof and almost invsible in use. Should be available in any good stationery shop.

Other waterproof tapes are available  :D
Don't Assume Check

scoop

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34:27 am »

I use Sellotape Diamond Clear. Its waterproof and almost invsible in use. Should be available in any good stationery shop.

Other waterproof tapes are available  :D
I've been using Sellotape Diamond for years, highly recommended, but do not use vaseline or any other petroleum greases to waterproof the bellows....they will eventually perish the rubber.
Use a silicone based grease, available from plumbers merchants, most DIY stores, RS components or a chandlery.

Regards
Scoop

scrat15

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:44:00 am »

Thankyou all!  Very useful info
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.