Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engel submarine Type 212A  (Read 13242 times)

bobk

Re: Engel submarine Type 212A
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 06:30:48 pm »

I have bitten the bullet and ordered the larger Robbe FS 500 MG servos Engel specified.  Sandwiched between two CNC cut bulkheads with lugs held in machined slots, plus Engel do go on about the importance of the all metal gears and gear box in their booklet.  Maybe risk of failure if I used a cheap alternative?

I have also ordered the Engel X Mixer.  The more I think on it the more I believe it is nesseassry to control this unusual tail configuration.  Had I bought the conventional tailed Lafeyette instead I would have opted to go without until sea trials to see how it went.

Darn:  I now have two subs under construction on the slipways (two workbenches).  
I am back working on the K boat whilst held up on the Type 212A.
The plan was to gain experience building and sailing the 212A before recommencing work on the K, but new insights this week have unlocked much of what had slowed the K project.  Cost escalations would even cause the MoD concerns !  I dare not add up the cost of my submarine programme

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 06:43:54 pm »

I don't honestly understand why they spec metal gear servos, seems like complete overkill to me. Speak to most model submariners, or just look at their boats and you'll most often see the bog standard, bottom of the line servos, not even ballraced, and they work just fine.

bobk

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »

Key factor was the servo body size and lugs are an exact fit.  I could have spent many hours on trying 'similar' servos only to find they didn't quite fit either.
Quote "Bulkheads accept exclusively servo type FS 500 MG BB (item no. RO8431)" maybe right, the frame was designed for it.  A few other bits in the book hinted towards Engels design choice for servo.  When I have them in and linkages connected I will post a photo.

The more I get into subs the more I find that following the designers intent as far as possible saves wasting huge amounts of time and money in experimentation (I already have). 

Realisically I am a budding sub builder, not a bespoke designer.  That may come in time with experience.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:08 am »

After a month on hold whilst the UK supplier was waiting on parts from Engel a nice box of various sub parts arrived here from Dorset today.  Key parts required for my Engel Type 212A were the two 'special' Micro Robbe FS 500 BB MG servos which the Tech Frame is specifically designed to sandwich, and the X Tail mixer.  The mixer is expected from Germany towards the end of next week I am told.

However, the servos supplied (New Power XLO-17MB) will require the lugs thickness to be filed down to fit the CNC cut ABS frame slots.  It appears Engel may have a problem sourcing the Robbe parts.  The servos otherwise look dimensionally OK.

Anyway I am underway again and will post more photos when I have the modified servos installed.  I should now be able to complete the main part of the build, then fit the X Tail mixer when it arrives. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 11:25:02 am »

Would it not be preferable to file the slots out a little wider in the rack rather than modify the servos themselves?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 11:35:29 am »

Good point Andy, I was just thinking the servos are more easily replacable if I get it wrong.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33:16 pm »

Servo’s at last

I have a lousy sense of timing.  This Type 212A was going to be a one week build, to learn about building and operating model submarines before getting into my bespoke build.  
Things came to a halt a month ago due to difficulties obtaining the servos that this tech frame was specifically designed around.

Firstly many thanks to Westbourne Models for all their help, and to Engel who have found two originals for me which have just arrived.

It appears that Robbe have stopped making the FS 500 MG servo.  I have been advised that after trialling alternatives Engel are now in the process of having replicas made in the Far East.  The case and lugs make an exact sandwich fit between two CNC bulkheads, and the HD metal gearbox is necessary in case servo throw limit is exceeded, a problem with some transmitter settings being overriden by the X Tail Controller.  The new Mk II Controller has an additional control allowing you to limit the throw.  eg:  70%

I can now carry on the build  :-))   O0    X Tail Controller is now on its way to me.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »

Getting there.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:14 pm »

Getting there.

Indeed !   I feel increasingly confident in building this boat (until I come to imerse it in the bath!).  Only trouble is I am now working on two subs.
However, focus on the 212A first as it is essentially an assembly task. 

I have the motor compartment for the K Class assembled, and I am gaining confidence on that too.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 09:44:30 pm »

You can use the Multiplex receiver that wouldn't squeeze into the 2.5" subdriver module.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 10:18:34 pm »

You can use the Multiplex receiver that wouldn't squeeze into the 2.5" subdriver module.

Now that's a Brill' idea  :-))   Just need a crystal for it to match my Robbe F14 Tx.  Better spec than the Rx that came with the F14.

Incidently, my other 'surplus' Tx/Rx system from that project, the WFLY, is earmarked for a very low freeboard Victorian warship that will build after the submarines.   I like to plan long term.   O0

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:46 am »

Isn't the Multiplex RX synthesized?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 10:45:36 am »

Isn't the Multiplex RX synthesized?

No, the Multiplex Micro-IPD is an "FM IPD PPM - 7 Channel Narrowband Receiver".  It has a socket for a crystal in the side.
Says "only use Multiplex crystals" but looks a normal 2 pin metal can style size.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 11:22:11 am »

Okay, gotcha. You must use the multiplex crystals, although other crystals will fit mechanically, they're most likely to be a slightly different frequency- this varies from company to company unfortunately. Just get a Multiplex crystal on the same band as the F14, and you'll be good to go.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.