Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model slipway Tamar lifeboat  (Read 8454 times)

bobgrimward

Model slipway Tamar lifeboat
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »

Gents,
Can someone help with the Tamar build. I am about to fit the cabin handrail but I am not sure what size wire I am to use. I don't want to use the wrong one and find I am short further along the build.
Many thanks

CF-FZG

Re: Model slipway Tamar lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:38 pm »

If you mean the 'safety lines' then they are 1mm wire - see Fig 46

If it's the one above it, that runs from just aft of the storage locker at the front, then straight back to behind the aerial and cranks up a bit to finish under the big vent - it looks like 1.6mm wire on sheet 1 - but I can't see any other reference to it.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:43:44 pm »

A quick phone call to Jackie at Model Slipway, Tomorrow!, will put you right.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:23:30 pm »

Hi Chaps
I am thinking that I would like to build a Slipway Tamar lifeboat next. Now I have built a MBD Arun with a Honda power plant without to much stress. How easy / hard is the slipway kit to build??
Is there any pit fulls?
What motors go best in it?
Any help would be welcome before I set out to buy on. :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:50:09 pm »

Hi,

I've just joined the forum.  This is mainly a reply to Bill D203 but may help others - I'm sure I'll need advice going forward.  I'm building the Model Slipway Tamar (you can see how I'm getting on at http://modellifeboats.blogspot.co.uk/).  The kit seems fairly straight forward so far, certainly more so than the Trent.  The biggest challenge is making an operating transom door as no instructions are in the kit but even that's not so hard with RNLI plans, some paper templates and forward thinking.

Motor wise, I went for speed 600 ecos as recommended by Model Slipway and Westbourne Models where I bought from (a couple of years ago now).  However, I have that set up in my Trent with 2 9.6v battery packs.  Performance is good (still working on duration) but the motors run very hot with 4 blade 4mm props so I'm downsizing to 35mm props.  Will see how that goes.  I recent went back to Westbourne models who have suggested going to brushless.  I am seriously considering this and will let you know how I get on as water trails for the Tamar are, hopefully, not so far off - I'm aiming for end of May.

Hope that helps

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:37 pm »

Hi

The "safety lines" are 1mm (glued to T26) - see main plan sheet 1. The handrail above is 1.5mm (glued to T18)

This clarification will be added to the plans. Many thanks for your input.

Jackie

dusty

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:20:32 pm »

Hi
Actons recomend 700bb Turbo 12v i am getting things together before i start mine the best way to find out anything is not to be afraid to ask.

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 02:08:41 pm »

I took the plunge and have gone brushless.  I've installed a pair of Overlander T3548/5s and Hawk 60A ESCs.  These weren't cheap but the performance is great.  It's well over scale speed, although my boat is nowhere near fully loaded yet.  I've no full run times yet, as I only ran as a trial but the motors were still cool driving 5 blade 40mm props at full tilt.
I'm running Model Slipway's recommended speed 600 Ecos in my Trent but the motors get very hot and I only get about 10mins run time so would expect the Tamar to do about the same.  I'm using a pair of 9.6V NiMh batteries in each boat.

Hope this gives you some useful info

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »

OK Heres one for you all
Has anyone got there Y boat hatch rear door etc to open and close by control??? Im about to start a MS Tamar and i want to make the back open and close. Any help please.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:21:17 pm »

someone on here has done it, but I don't know whether it was a speedline or a slipway tamar they did it with..can't remember who it was or when, but some time back......search through all the tamar threads and you'll find the link to it on youtube, or go to you tube and type model tamar in.
neil.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 09:30:58 pm »

Hi Neil
I know Phil lock did it on his speed line tamar  I've. been looking at his YouTube stuff . I have a cupple of idears on how it could be done but other options can always be looked at when building these things.
Cheers anyway
Bill.
Ps we made £120 for the RNLI on our funday.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:20:23 pm »

great stuff, Bill.
always amazes me that even in this economic climate people are still willing to dig deep for the RNLI......warms my heart every time.
well done matey.
neil.

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »

Hi Bill,

I'm going to use a servo to operate the transom door and have bought a Hitec sailing winch servo to do the job, partly cos you get a nice long arm with it.  It'll attach to one side of the door only with the other side having a dummy ram.  I've not worked out the linkage design yet though.  Hope this helps you decide.  I'd be interest to know what method you decide on in the end.
Phil

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:53:02 pm »

My Tamar got here today. Oh boy Ive got some building over the winter to do.  :}
So far all the parts in the kit seem to be here.  :-)) I have started to mark out all the holes for the running gear. Measure twice cut once.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.