Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: petrol  (Read 4056 times)

regiment

petrol
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:16:05 pm »

WALKED passed my local petrol station today petrol £1 42  per litre deisal £1 47 per lrtre  so if any of you are coming down to cornwall ( perranporth )fill up before you get here glad i sold my car a few years ago  <:(

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
Re: petrol
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:47:36 pm »

Here it's the opposite, Diesel is cheaper than petrol ... cheaper is maybe not appropriate  %%  : petrol is more expensive than Diesel

Xtian

rmaddock

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:03:10 pm »

WALKED passed my local petrol station today petrol £1 42  per litre deisal £1 47 per lrtre  so if any of you are coming down to cornwall ( perranporth )fill up before you get here glad i sold my car a few years ago  <:(

That's hardly any differential at all. Diesel's almost 10p per litre more than petrol here.

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 04:49:01 pm »

It makes you think where it will end  this price rising. I am thinking more and more to sell car and ride bike to work. To work half of year to own a car seems insane. >>:-(

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:57:05 pm »

Diesel is much less expensive to refine than petrol, so the over pricing is just a straight RIP/Off, but what is new about that from the oil companies, they do what they like when they like & it looks like governments can't or won't touch them. Where I live is the oil capital of Canada (Calgary) & you should see what the oil companies can get away with, it is beyond belief. One company is now putting a sour gas well within 500 meters of a residential area of our city, on the west side no less & the wind generally blows west to east, if the well head should ever fail thousands will die. These wells have failed several times in the recent past. Sour gas is the most deadly gas there is, but the government are just ignoring the whole thing, Mick B.
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:58:11 pm »

Petrol here is €1.69L and 1.59L Diesel
But then the road tax equivalent on diesel cars is about 3 times more than the same petrol car
Not fun when you own a V8 Range Rover and a Jag :(
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:02:08 pm »

I put the 97 RON petrol like BP Ultimate in my Z4. Had to stop off in Skelmersdale to fill up on Monday, 148.9 per litre  >>:-(

Diesel may be cheaper to refine but you get less diesel out of a barrel of oil than you do petrol so pound for pound, diesel is more expensive to produce (as you get less of it from a 'barrel').

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:55:47 pm »

The oil companies certainly make billions but then they also invest billions and provide a livelihood for hundreds of thousands.

The real winner is the Westminster Government which apples PRT (Petroleum Revenue Tax) to the crude when it leaves the oil wells (nearly 80% in some cases), taxes the purchaser of petrol/diesel at the filling station (+60%), taxes the profit of the filling station operator then taxes the owners of the vehicles that burn the stuff. 

There may be nothing certain but death and taxes but they don't have to hammer the point home.

Barry M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:07:27 pm »

Diesel is much less expensive to refine than petrol
On the face of it, that comment's true, as diesel is produced earlier in the distillation process than petrol. However, according to one report I read - not made by an oil company representative I might add - stated that all the additives put into diesel to make it burn cleaner, with less emissions, adds to the cost of production. Whether that's true or not I have no way of knowing, but it could help explain the pricing discrepancy.

Peter.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 12:24:24 am »

C'mon guys, Diesel is more economical to use across the board in private vehicles so the only way to extract an equivalent rip off from the motorist in comparison to petrol - - - -  ?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:20:17 am »

C'mon guys, Diesel is more economical to use across the board in private vehicles so the only way to extract an equivalent rip off from the motorist in comparison to petrol - - - -  ?

Regards  Ian.
O0 O0  :-))

Peter.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:38:55 am »

Regards  Ian.

Not in Finland it isn't... while the diesel itself may be cheaper, the road tax equivalent is much higher for diesel cars than petrol.... unless you do more than about 50,000km a year, its cheaper to run a petrol car.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:17 am »

When I came to Canada diesel was only 60% the price of petrol. There were few diesel cars in the 60's & 70's. However as soon as diesel cars started to become popular ,the price of diesel started to climb & has not stopped since, now surpassing petrol in cost. We pay the same road tax for both petrol & diesel vehicles. In 1968 I paid 16.7 cents a gallon for petrol, by 1975 it was 35.9 cents a gallon & pay was $3.75 per hour. today petrol is $5.08 dollars a gallon & pay is $ 25.00 to $30.00 dollars an hour. Wages have increased approximately 700%, Petrol has increased by approximately 1,400.00%, so much for disposable income. It is simple, they have calculated how much they can charge & get away with & they are very good @ it. Every long weekend (bank holiday ) the price goes up about 10% & comes down again on  the day after the weekend holiday, it's called price fixing in my book, the oil companies call it market forces.. Mick B.
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:13 am »

Im thinking of trading up to one of these
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/18/wood-burning-el-camino/
Have over 30 acres of forest so fuel would be free(ish) lol

brianB6

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:55 am »

If it's not a rip off, how come our local price was $1.34 at 3.00 pm and $1.54 at 4.00 pm?  >:-o
It will gradually come down again over the next two weeks.  The trick is to know when it's at its lowest price.   It used to be every Wednesday but can now be any day of the week.   >>:-(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:32:01 pm »

That weekly petrol price cycle seems to be a city thing. Living in a regional area as I do, the price remains the same all week, except for the normal increases as oil goes up (funny how fuel doesn't seem to come down as quickly when oil prices drop <*< >>:-( )

Peter.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 07:55:26 am »

In high tech Sweden the price can vary by the second, all connected to the mainframe... I have filled the tank at 15.18SEK only to see the price at 14.98SEK as I leave the station. The most I have seen at the same station has been 3 price changes during the course of a day.
Governments rejoice when the price goes up, more tax in the coffers. Currently about 60% of the price in Sweden is taxes, carbon dioxide tax, energy tax and then on top of that Moms (VAT) at 25%.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »

I am willing to bet that almost everyone in cities could make far less car journeys.
People won't even walk a half a mile these days - Petrol is finite but you wouldn't think
so from the amount of wasted usage. Also racing and braking between daft speed
bumps has got to burn fuel too.

That was my eco thought for the day.

One other thing - some small operators have been known to bump the price massively
without making it too clear to the driver - so I always avoid the small operators.

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »

€1.74/litre here today when I filled up :( not much change out of €130 to fill the tank tonight

wbeedie

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:00 pm »

I will still be coming down to Cornwall last week of june for a fortnight , we have similar prices up here in the highlands and that is with a 5p a litre discount in fact some other islands are well above those prices

Cornishman

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:56 pm »

Not all of Cornwall is that price. Tesco's in St.Austell prices today are    Unleaded Petrol  134.9 ppl      Diesel 142.9 ppl

meyer

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

£148.9 here for diesel has been for a few weeks   >:-o

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 04:07:12 pm »

Someone sent me a PM and I think it was to do with this topic so if you remember what it was that was sent could you please resend it as I never got a chance to read it after the site went offline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.