Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Farewell HMS Liverpool  (Read 1545 times)

Bowwave

Farewell HMS Liverpool
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:58:00 pm »

A sad farewell to HMS Liverpool as she  to pays  her own  tribute to Cammel Laird before heading  past the Liver buildings and out to sea  <:(
Heading down river for a gun salute past Cammel Laird ship yard.

Heading past the Liver Buildings

Leaving the Mersey for the last time  <:(

Bowwave

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Farewell HMS Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »

You know, in this time of (mild) tension....I really cannot understand the thinking behind all this scrapping business. After all, it's not as if we have anything as yet built to replace her with. And it's not as if "Liverpool" is an outdated WW2 ship. Even though the decision to withdraw/sell/scrap her was made many months/years ago....can't minds be changed? Or is "loss of face" a factor. I just find the entire notion of our Defence being money driven quite abhorrent.
None of this will affect me personally, but it will surely impact on my children and grandchildren. Poor sods. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Farewell HMS Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:30:12 pm »

It's very sad. I guess at 30 years old Liverpool is well past her best and she did seem to be chucking out a lot of smoke when she arrived in the Mersey.

What I dont understand is, I saw it reported she will be the last ever RN ship to be called Liverpool. Why is that? Has the Navy decided they'll never call ship's after our cities now? Or is there some other reason?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.