Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest Ebay \ Paypal scam  (Read 1704 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Latest Ebay \ Paypal scam
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:28:54 am »

Havent seen anything about this on the forum, if there is, apologies.

I'd read about this latest ebay \ Paypal scam in the torygraph. I guess many people like myself who have used ebay have used this method in selling stuff. Someone tried it on me today with some Morley Helicopter and engine I have advertised on a model flying site.

The scam is targetted at people who are selling goods. The buyer will contact the seller and arrange to buy the goods and pay via Paypal. They then arrange to collect the goods in person once money is in your PP account. All well and good you think. You've seen the buyer, given them the goods in person and the money is safe in your PP account. What could go wrong?

Well, it appears once the 'buyer' has left your property with your goods, the owner of the Paypal account which paid you the money contacts PP and says their account has been hacked and they never agreed to buy your goods. PP \ Ebay with the buyer's protection sides with them, withdraws the money from your account and of course, you have no goods!

There are also Ebay conditions which weaken the position of the seller in any transaction where the buyer collects in person instead of the seller posting the item. Some people have lost laptops and other equipment via this scam.

The guy who mailed me asked me to supply him with my Paypal details (or create a PP account if I didnt have one) so he could pay the asking price of the Morley heli and engine. I mailed him back and said that I wouldnt accept payment via Paypal. I would accept a cheque and once that cleared he could come and collect.

Needless to say, he didnt respond.

geoff p

Re: Latest Ebay \ Paypal scam
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:27:46 am »

In much the same category, some years ago a chum sold fishing trips from his website.  Payment was by credit card, which (in those days, at least) gave full money-back guarantees.

Some customers would go out on the trip, enjoy a day or two fishing but when they got home they would claim to the credit-card company that the (name your niggle here) details were less than satisfactory.  The credit-card company always gave a 100% refund, so Greg had paid-out to the boat's owners, paid for food, beer etc, then got zilch from the customer.

Needless to say, once he got wise to this he would accept only Cash payment, from all customers.

Geoff

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:51 am »

Thank you for posting this con. Hopefully the person doing this will soon be barred by Paypal and Ebay. I dont expect quick action. Sadly this is the way of the world. A few spoil it for the rest. John.

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:56:13 am »

Thank you for posting this con. Hopefully the person doing this will soon be barred by Paypal and Ebay. I dont expect quick action. Sadly this is the way of the world. A few spoil it for the rest. John.

The Connected parties are barely admitting there is a problem..  There was a big kick off about on Ebay forums last month after the article, Normaly after a few posts the thread would have been blocked or deleated but in this case it was allow to just fizzle out..

Problem being that if Paypal is offered and you refuse to accept it Ebay can take sanctions against your account as a Non Performing Seller.

Here is a link to the article..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/27/is-paypal-safe-protection

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »

The Connected parties are barely admitting there is a problem..  There was a big kick off about on Ebay forums last month after the article, Normaly after a few posts the thread would have been blocked or deleated but in this case it was allow to just fizzle out..

Problem being that if Paypal is offered and you refuse to accept it Ebay can take sanctions against your account as a Non Performing Seller.

Here is a link to the article..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/27/is-paypal-safe-protection

Yes, Ebay & PP do not help one bit.

But in my case, the heli and engine are posted as for sale on a magazine's web site. This character has contacted me and said he wants to pay me via Paypal which I refused. So, as the sale isnt an Ebay listing, they cant take any action against me for refusing PP.

The 'buyer' has contacted me again saying his PP account is linked to his bank account so whats the problem?! needless to say, Im just ignoring him now. And this item isnt going on Ebay. Im just not prepared to lose these items for nothing while some con merchant happily wanders off with them for free.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:13:02 pm »

A new take on an old scam.
the old scam was pay via paypal then collect in persion then clam never recived goods. Moral of the story is if you want to collect in persion only execpt CASH

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.