Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed controller,s not working  (Read 4624 times)

wullie/mk2

Speed controller,s not working
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:58:54 pm »

Hi guys, i, need some advice, as I previously said in my other topic, I have a schnellbootie, that has 3 x 30 amp Electronize speed cont,..well, i can,t get them to work,..I bought the boat from a good friend,who had actually never run it, he had bought it with everything in it, but had used it as a display model only,I have tested the motors, using just a battery wired direct to motors, and the all run perfectly,..the 3 motors are Graupner 600,s and they each have there own battery, i.e. 4500mAh, the receiver is a futaba 4ch I have a battery pack plugged into the receiver, 1 x 4.5v, the 3 x 4500 mAh batteries are fully charged, when i switch everything on, I can hear constant clicks from the Esc,s, ..but thats it,..nothing else,..does this mean that the Esc,s are boogered,

john44

Re: Speed controller,s not working
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:15:16 pm »

Has the receiver got BEC circuitry if so you dont need the 1x 4.4 battery pack,
 and you will have to disconnect the red wires from 2 of the speed controllers.

Try the motors and speed controllers 1 at a time if you can.
Its just a process of elimination
If they don,t work try another Rx.

john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:53:33 pm »

hi there

If the Electronize speed controllers are the type FR30HX they do not have a BEC built into - according to the literature which comes with them.   Having said, I myself have had this problem before with Electronize 'clicking' and it turned out to be a fault in the signal between the RX and the speed controller.  The little copper terminal in the plug had a bad connection but, for it to happen on all 3 of yours, it sounds suspicious for it to be that fault.

Have you got another TX to which you can try and use, along with the speed controllers.   Because, on certain 4 channel Futaba TX receivers, they do not like certain speed controllers. Electronize is one of them and I cannot remember which 4 channel receiver it is, but I know a certain gentleman who builds speed controllers will jump into ACTion and remind me; because we had several hours of hair pulling trying to sort a similar fault out with a 4 channel receiver  :-))

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:58 am »

The electronise ESCs that I have seen take power to work the relay from the RX supply, so if the relays click, they have power.  If none of them has a BEC built in, then the relays are getting power from the RX battery.
Do the relays just click when the setup is switched on? Or do they click in response to moving the sticks?  If the latter, then the control part is working OK.
Check that main power from the drive battery is actually getting to the ESCs down the right wires - I have seen such ESCs with blown power transistors when the owner connected power into the motor leads, and the motor to the power leads.
With relay reverse types, always make sure that the relay only operates to reverse - the relay does take a lot of current from the RX battery and can have a bad effect on run time.  Three of them even more so.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

wullie/mk2

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:02:00 am »

After some head scratching,and taking onboard the advice given here,I,ve now got power to 2 of the motors,I connected an Rx & Tx that I knew was good, albeit only a 2ch, but i got there, i,ve got 2 working speed controllers, the third which is connected to the centre motor appears to be boogered,But the motor is good as I tested it via battery,therefore, what i,d like to do now, is just use the 2 x speed controllers,working the 3 motors,.. the 2 outside motors,controlled by one speed controller, and the other controlling the centre and rudders,
...What I need to know is,...What wires go where????? for setting up the 2 x motors controlled by 1 x speed controller,
as it stands, the wires from the 3 x motors,are paired off into a block connector,then the blue/yellow from the speed controllers go into their respective terminals i.e blue/yellow, to starboard motor, then to port, and then to centre,..I do understand a little about electrics, and that I will have to move remove the dud speed controller,then take the wires from either port/starboard,motor and fit to centre, which leaves me with 1 x speed controller and 2 x motors,...Now I fall flat on my mush, and scratch my head???...help,

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:52:59 am »

Hi wullie/mk2
this may help you

aye
john

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:57:10 am »

The only thing I would have a slight concern with would be if the ESC is man enough for 2 motors
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 11:07:54 am »

The only thing I would have a slight concern with would be if the ESC is man enough for 2 motors

:-)) %)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 11:13:03 am »

Fair enough.... I will bow down to you superior knowlege on the subject lol  :D

I thought that 30A might not be enough for 2 of those motors.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Gra

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:09:12 pm »

Hi Wullie/mk2,

I have been running my 1/24 scale SCHNELLBOOT using two Electronize 43HX esc for some years with three 545 motors no problem.
My setup is run on a Futaba two channel R/C.One esc handles two motors on flank shafts and the other is the centre shaft using a y lead.
I also use a battery for each motor.

Gra

ACTion

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »

You might consider using this approach, but with the 20A P94 instead of the Lite (10A) version shown and your Electronize ESC in place of the P79. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Graupner%20Wiesel.pdf
Far more control is available than with one ESC on three motors and the installatio0n is less critical viz a viz current through the ESC units.
Suit yourself
DM

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:32:25 pm »

Dave, Mr ACTion kind sir,

Did you 'serve your time' at South Shields Market selling sand to the Arabs?

Cos I tell you what - you could sell coals to Newcastle yee could :-)

only joking whack duck my mate

aye
john

wullie/mk2

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:23 pm »

Thanks for all the help,and to Bluebird,for the drawing,...my next question is, ..are Electronize speed cont,repairable,...as i,m loath to dump the one that is,nt working, seeing as how the other two are working fine, and i feel that whatever is wrong with number 3,it can,t be much,

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »

Yes they are. Give them a ring.Its a lot cheaper than buying new. Price was £10. May have gone up.John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.