Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nimh to Lipo?  (Read 1462 times)

bikerdude666

Nimh to Lipo?
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:13:31 pm »

Is it possible to use a Lipo with a normal brushed motor and ESC? Or do you need a certain brushed ESC to deal with a Lipo?

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nimh to Lipo?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »

Its perfectly possible to use a LiPo with brushed ESC, but unless the ESC is one of Mtroniks new LiPo aware ones, you will need either an alarm or monitor to ensure you don't over-discharge the battery. Brushless ESCs have this built in. There are a number of threads on this topic.
 E.G. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34513.0
Barrie

bikerdude666

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »

Sorry for the same post asking the same question..... but whenever I try a search on this site I get the 504 timeout...

Can you just fit a normal tamiya plug on to the lipo battery, All the 1's I've seen come with either mini-tamiya or deans style connectors.

BobbyShaftoe

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:05:07 pm »

Yes, you can use a Tamiya connector.  Some LiPos come with multi-leads which have deans, Tamiya etc already wired in.  I have one of the Vapextech 7.4v 4000MAh LiPo batteries which comes in a 7.2v NiMH style pack with three connectors.  Works well for me.

I wouldn't hesitate to cut a connector off a LiPo and solder/crimp a new connector on.  I've done this a few times.  If you do so, though, bear in mind the consequences of shorting out the battery.  Make sure you're crimping/soldering well so the connector can't come off and allow a short.  Also only bare one wire at a time to make it impossible to short out the battery while you're redoing the connector.  With care it's easy and safe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.