Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives to traditional rope sling launch/ retrieval for a Springer  (Read 9413 times)

chrise

I sometimes sail on my village pond which is soft banked and has a water level 50cm below bank level. Inevitably anyone sailing there often does so alone. I use the traditional pair of rope slings method for launching & retrieving boats.

A mobility impaired older local approached me about model boating and expressed an interest in building a first model which was not too large but which would let him use his woodworking skills. I immediately thought of a Springer, with its enormous internet library of ideas and debate, but held back from recommending it until I had sorted out a problem.

My problem is that whilst the model might be ideal I cannot easily see how to suggest he gets it into/out of the water - particularily if sailing alone. I cannot see that my rope slings would work with the hull shape of a Springer. Crawling around the bank is not an option.

Is there a good secure and safe launch/ recovery method for Springers in this situation?

Any pictures would be appreciated if they explain your method.

john44

Hi Chris, if you look on the Springer Tug postings there is a thread called hoop the loop Springer. If you look to the right
of the photos you will see I have fitted a cabinet handle just before the pushers.
It fixes through the deck and cross-member and I lift, launch and carry the boat with the handle.

john

chrise

Thanks for the input.

I can see that it is a nice firm handle but the guy that I am talking about can't get down to a point where he could reach the handle. I guess that if the superstructure/betteries etc were very solidly fixed he could use a hook on a pole but I don't think that I would fancy launching it this way.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

Slings will work if you make them to fit fore and aft instead of athwartships

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Timo2

Hi

Try a rod between the Pusher towers  and a pole with a hook ( Boat Hook )

"have used a pole to recover a springer"

A lot of the " Wee Nips " use a EYE on the Deck and pole with hook

Timo2

chrise

Ned

I can see that some of the ideas here might work beautifully for recovery but I am not so sure about launching.

Adapting the John44, Timo 2 and Netleyned ideas has anybody tried (or have an opinion about) something that works like this. To give some stability in the drop/lift I think that at least 3 contact points are required. The bow could have 2 eyes which could be the ends of a cross bar between the bow pusher knees (or eyes on the top of the knees) These would be collected by a Y ended pole to give lateral stability. The stern point, which could be a towing gog, would be hooked by a simple hook ended pole.

Has anybody seen such a system in operation?

I think that I feel an experiment coming on to see how easy it would be to actually make the hookup!!!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

Some people launch their springers like fas electrics {-) {-)
Just 'hoik' em in the pond.
I must stress that I am not speaking from experience of launching
my own springers this way  :D :D :D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

chrise

And they are retrieved by having a ramp that launches them into the air after a high speed run so that you can catch them as they fly past your ear.  :-))  %) ;)

Actually the experiment worked well as long as a real springer behaves like a piece of chiboard with a couple of bricks on it.  What worked best was the single hook at stern and flat plate at the bow both with about a 110 degree bend. These was very easy to locate & secure.

I will suggest a Springer & we will see if one actually gets built.

john44

Why dont you just make a stand with an extending or collapsable handle, extend the handle at the waterside, and submerge the stand untill
the boat sails free.Retreval is a reversal off the above.
You could even adapt a little 2 wheel shoping trolley.

I am sure there will be samples somewhere on this forum.

john

Darklord

You could even adapt a little 2 wheel shoping trolley

Like John said he could launch/retrieve a springer on that. Or make a 4 wheel bogey truck on a piece of rope which could also act as a launcher. It could also act as a little trailer to tow the springer and relevent equipment to the pond.
Can he not approach the local parish council and enquire about disabled access to the pond? As traversing down a grassy bank in a mobility scooter could end in tears.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Alternatives to traditional rope sling launch/ retrieval for a Springer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 02:26:52 pm »

Hi guys

just off the cuff

if it was me having to put a weight lower than my feet and with dodgy knees I would want an assist
if the lift was always going to be the same location I would tackle it thus
12 - 24 inches of scaffold driven into the floor and flush (no trip) + small plug. No harm to anyone there.
Suitable pole reaching waist height after insertion
Pivot a second pole of suitable length atop that (accounting for leverage and weight)
Simple machine to construct and light. Safe easy launch from sling.
The problem of what to do with it when not in use is one you sort on local conditions, but at a club venue
easy peasy.
What do you think? Hey someone with the math and drawing skills could post it up

Dave

chrise

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:35 am »

What works will obviously depend on the specific location. It may well be that the trolley idea would work & I will certainly bear it in mind. My intitial problem was that the hull shape of the Springer, with no flat keel, does not make the usual rope sling method very secure. I absolutely did not want to suggest a model that he couldn't then use.

I am happy that the hook solution works & will suggest that as it helps get round the "natural" nature of the bank edge which makes a truck difficult. The hook solution also requires some specific aspects of model design that might be difficult to implement as a retrofit.

I love the idea of a swinging crane! We would need to sort out the problem that when the boat is over the land the operator is over the water but if so then it would be safer for everyone (owner & model) with a mud edge pond. It would also help clear the weed problem that we have around the edge. Certainly something to think about if a club started to form.

I think a bit of experience might well help before we see what is needed for disabled access. I am also going to wait & see if a model actually arrives (or construction actually starts)! At the moment we are at the stage that he is coming round to look on my computer at some examples of Springers. 

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:25 am »

We would need to sort out the problem that when the boat is over the land the operator is over the water

erm ,,,,,, he wouldn't be - both would start along/within two foot of the edge and as the operator rotated away from the pond the boat would rotate over the water
as the operator raised his arms the boat descends ....... sort of rotating counter balance - very simple machine.

Dave

chrise

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 03:03:06 pm »

OK agree easy to sort out  :-))

My problem would only exist if the pivot point was at/near the waters edge.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:50:58 pm »

A few pictures of the pond edge would help us.  Plenty of Springers on Youtube to show our friend some in action.
..well can you land on this?

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 05:29:15 pm »

The Romans / French had a launch method Years ago  :}

john44

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 05:53:59 pm »

The Romans / French had a launch method Years ago  :}

I like it  ( A Space Springer ).

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 07:13:19 am »

a friend of mine got a plastic bread tray , cut the sides off it , fitted 2 alum. round frame/handles , in a U shape , on its side , and just drives the model over the plastic lace work(bread tray) and lifts the model out
food for thought
bill stafford

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 02:35:20 pm »

Never heard of a divit - for the crane, seen one at a water treatment plant, supposedly to make it easier to lift a motor on and off an air mover when being repaired - except that, yes it worked for the motor (250kg), pity they did not account for the impeller attached to the other end which could almost weigh a quarter as much. as previously mention a 600mm pole inserted in the ground and made flush with plug, a tube/shaft that will snuggly be inserted and welded into a 1000mm length of the scaffold pole, this is the vertical shaft/rotating axis, a length of scaffold welded either up at an angle or at 90° to the vertical axis, suitable to reach sufficiently enough over the water, a brace welded to the main vertical and the underside of the beam (to suit the weight of man and boat - as someone will undoutably try to swing on it), a closed eyelet (similar to those used to lift heavy motors) is welded to the underside at the end, a rope and pulley lift is fitted to the end with a suitable weighted hook to retain the tension so that it does not jump the pulleys, the boat is fitted with the handle as originally suggested (kitchen unit style suitably strong enough to lift the boat with all its weight). Then to attach when launching/retreiving, a hook on a pole is used to guide the pully onto the handle in combination with the rope for tension, to swing in and out once the boat is attached and having been pulled up by the rope to miss all obstructions and secured, the operator only has to pull on the brace or top bar to swing left or right until over bank/water. simples or if an old village / re-introduce the old style - witch dunking stool - on wheels - old world charm meets new age use
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 04:03:19 pm »

as shown
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.