Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting to fix Ply sheet onto frames preferred method  (Read 2113 times)

David 48

Starting to fix Ply sheet onto frames preferred method
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:57:22 am »

I am at the stage in my build of Fairmount Alpine of starting to fit the ply sheets to the frames . On stock I have 5min Epoxy, Titebond 3 waterproof . What is the preferred method of fixing ,will I have to pin it to the frames or not .I understand Titebond needs clamping /weight. I also have an idea about painting the inside of the hull white . Normal practices  will apply like sanding sealer  and because it me two coats undercoat and one gloss I thought it might be easier to spot any cracks. What are your thoughts on this.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Starting to fix Ply sheet onto frames preferred method
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:41 pm »

This photo shows how I clamped the sheets to my Anglain Sovereign. I used Aliphatic glue. The curves were planked. The planks were pinned. The external hull was finished with fibreglass tissue and resin.

HTH

Don't Assume Check

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:41:49 am »

This photo shows how I clamped the sheets to my Anglain Sovereign. I used Aliphatic glue. The curves were planked. The planks were pinned. The external hull was finished with fibreglass tissue and resin. HTH

I used a similar method on my Sea Scout. Where the bottom the sheets of ply turn through virtually 90% I found a combination of the Aliphatic glue and pins was perfect but one thing I had done first was to soak the ply for an hour in the bath and then pinned it wet. When it had dried I removed it to apply glue and it kept it's shape well while it was glued and re-pinned.  O0  Check that your ply will take this submersion technique without de-laminating though !
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

David 48

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:49:26 am »

Thank you Douggal99 and Artistmike for your help  I was on the right track .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.