Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RTR Smasher "Sovremenny GMD"  (Read 13023 times)

Dreadstar

RTR Smasher "Sovremenny GMD"
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:19 pm »

For my next project,I've decided to revisit my first ever boat,which I managed to lose the controller for somehow.
   After reading through the Dickies Tug rebuild section a while ago,I thought that I might just be able to do the same to my Sovremenny, so I set about stripping every screw I could find out of the boat,but no matter how hard I tried,I couldn't get the deck free of the hull. Needless to say,the ship was re-assembled and the model put away in the back room.

Last night I decided to try it once again,this time using the levering power of a heavy screwdriver,(I can hear the groans from here). It appears,that the decks are not only screwed down,but were also held down with what looks to have been a type of mastic,this was what had been stopping me from disassembling the ship the first time around. With careful use of,lets just say brute force,I finally managed to pry the deck free from the hull,with no damage to either part.
  Now it was time to get in there with the screwdriver and side cutters and remove all the existing electronics.

This left me with just the bare hull and the motors,I'm not sure whether or not to remove the existing weights. I'll leave them in place for now,as she was very stable originally anyway.

A view of the various component parts,(as you can see,I'd already partially repainted her,though maybe not in quite the correct colours,but it looked good to me.)

These speed props will be removed and replaced with M3 25mm 3-bladed handed brass Raboesch ones.

As can be seen in the above photo's,the wires on the motors is far too fine,which mean a high resistance,so I'm going to replace these with some 0.5mm section cable. After that,it'll be time to work out some form of rudder for this boat,(I can tell you now,it certainly won't be to scale).
  That's all for now,I'm off to the hardware store to pick up some bits'n'pieces.  :-))

Dreadstar

Re: RTR Smasher "Sovremenny GMD"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:13:13 pm »

Motor wires have been replaced with something a little more substantial and conected to a Nosram Hawk ESC via a con-block.Please don't ask me the Amperage that this ESC can take,I only know that it handles motors down to 15 turns.

Dreadstar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:34:31 pm »

Well,now that disaster has been averted by Martin and his brave colleagues,I can now continue this conversion from where I left off.  :-))

I picked up two new Raboesh props from Cornwall MB's,who I tend to use most often as regards boat bits & bobs. Although the original speed props are of the dogdrive type,the threaded portion of the shafts is more than long enough to accomodate the new props with space to spare. The only real problem that I had as far as prop choices went,was the fact that the shafts are threaded M3. This severely limits the props that you can fit,as besides Raboesh,I know of no other supplier of M3 props,(though I'm sure that you'll let me know of someone else who supplies them).  :embarrassed:

Space beneath the deck is severely limited,so I made the decision to fit a small 9g micro servo to serve on rudder duty,this was another headache. I sent off for a mini micro rudder,but whilst awaiting it's arrival,I found my old rudder from the RTTL which I had replaced. Out came the tinsnips,and a little bit of butchery later,I had a servicable rudder,which also turned out to be longer in length,fore-aft,than a micro rudder. Now when you consider the fact,that this boat is running on twin shafts,which are not mixer controlled,(I can't afford one just now),you'll see the logic behind having a longer rudder. I'd set up the props to rotate inboard,so that they'd tend to throw the water over the rudder,rather than to either side of it,at least that's what i hoped anyway.
  When it came to positioning the rudder,I may have made a faux pa,in that the leading edge of the rudder sits in line with the prop blades,effectively creating a partition between the two props,no doubt you'll tell me otherwise.
  Some pics.

Receiver wise,I just used a 27MHz one that I had laying around,and when you consider that most of the members at my club now use 2.4 GHz,I'm not going to be getting much in the way of signal conflict. ESC wise,she's just getting a Nosram Hawk Power reverse 15T limit ESC.(Please don't ask the Amp rating,as I just don't know,but I'm sure the peak is 100A) Power wise,she's been fitted with a 7.4V 2S/ 1600mAh Lipo pack,(This is less than half the weight of the original 8xAA NIMH pack),and is the only Lipo that I have that will fit into the small battery compartment. To run the linkage between the servo and the rudder,I had to cut out a section of the aftmost bulkhead.
     Ok,time to refit the deck,or so I thought,I screwed everthing back into place,making sure that the deck was sitting correctly; connected the battery and tested everything out......blast it,the rudder isn't working properly. Back off came the deck,and by carefully looking inside the hull whilst I lowered the deck into position,I discovered that the mounting dimple of the rear turret,for want of a better word,was fouling on the servo horn,so out came the sidecutters,and one snip later,free movement of the servo horn.

Lets not mince words here,I'm getting more than a little hacked off with this,having to remove a multitude of screws everytime you need to get inside the boat,(28 in total),so out came the fretsaw,and I cut out a section of the deck,which whilst only allowing me access to the receiver/motors and esc,does help.(Only need to remove 4 screws to access this part.) what I have found,is that to access the rudder assy,I don't need to fully remove the entire deck,but I do still need to take out a dozen screws,which will allow me to carefully lift the aft section of decking enough to gain access. ok2

Sunday:- Time for the refitted ships trials.  I wasn't too sure just how,if at all,this boat would perform,would the rudder actually work,or was this just one of these things that just wasn't meant to be.
  With everything switched on and set up,I took the plunge,and opened her up. Now,if you've seen any of the youtube videos for the Smasher,you'll see that it's way overspeed in stock form,so I was hoping that the changes I'd made to her would hopfully make her sail a little better speed wise. Well,all I can say,is that I was pleasantly surprised,as the change in voltage,coupled with the different props had made all the difference in the world to her. She now looks much more like the thing and the rudder actually works quite well too,so I've certainly won a chocolate watch here then. :-))

A short trial video of her in action.

http://youtu.be/D4ZCvHepIc8
Vosper MkIII Corvette
Type 24 Frigate
HMS Cyclops
King Midas tug
Sovremenny GMD
Geobukseon(Turtle ship).

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 04:30:49 pm »

If anyone else would like to have a go at a Sovremenny  and do an online conversion - I have one up for grabs!   :-)
PM me.

Martin

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:55:18 pm »

very good dreadstar i like your style, did you get that esc from ebay?

I got a 2.4ghz going on ebay if your interested. I was going to put in on the forum, i only wanted 20 quid for it free pnp. i dont know if i can post it on the forum though ill ask.

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:08:54 pm »

Really like this build, its nice to see how you can upgrade a cheaper model into something rather nice :)

Maybe there should be a few threads like this for the newer people to hobby so they can get into it at a cheaper price then upgrade if they are still keen?

All the best

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:37:35 pm »

is this model still going ?  interested .

Dreadstar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 03:54:13 pm »

I took her out again today,as the weather this morning had been great. Murphy's Law on the other hand said differently <*<.
 It was just a little windy,but as this boat has such a low freeboard at the stern,there were a few anxious moments. Here are a few pics from today,and a slightly longer vid of her underway.

http://youtu.be/6GRMDQ_j3qo
Vosper MkIII Corvette
Type 24 Frigate
HMS Cyclops
King Midas tug
Sovremenny GMD
Geobukseon(Turtle ship).

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:50:18 pm »

Thanks for the new pics and vid, she looks very good on te water indeed  :-))

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »

There is another thread on detailing this model here -
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11697.0

Bronco do a kit of the Ka28 which is much more accurate than the thing supplied with the model.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 07:58:33 pm »

Very interesting conversion  :o

....and thank you for the info ref motor wires  :-)) - I didn't realise how much difference this makes to the resistance - time for the soldering iron to earn it's keep !

Regards,

Ray.

Dreadstar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »

A short vid from today at Elder Park.You can see from the yachts that are out,that there was a fair wind blowing,but the Sov wasn't really affected by it.

http://youtu.be/JXRrBTpyRsY
Vosper MkIII Corvette
Type 24 Frigate
HMS Cyclops
King Midas tug
Sovremenny GMD
Geobukseon(Turtle ship).

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 12:48:05 pm »

Looks a very stable craft

Dreadstar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 02:27:29 pm »

I left the original weights that came with the boat alone,as standard,she was a very stable boat. I don't think that the weight distribution could be improved upon,even though it looks like she sits a little low in the water,lightening it may well upset her balance,causing her to become somewhat unstable. What doesn't help when looking at her in the water,is that the original painted waterline is too low and uneven. I really need to repaint the lower hull to something resembling the correct waterline. ok2
Vosper MkIII Corvette
Type 24 Frigate
HMS Cyclops
King Midas tug
Sovremenny GMD
Geobukseon(Turtle ship).

Dreadstar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 06:08:34 pm »

Vosper MkIII Corvette
Type 24 Frigate
HMS Cyclops
King Midas tug
Sovremenny GMD
Geobukseon(Turtle ship).

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 06:48:25 am »

Hello to you all.
I have been pleasantly surprised looking at the conversion of your Vector Drive 'Smasher'.
Do you know that I have one converted also and she runs on NIMH 9.6 with the original twin motor set up, a Car ESC and a rudder from an old eco boat that had perished in my shed. Luckily it was a brass rudder so fitted on like a treat using a small micro servo.
I sprayed her in the dark grey and used an old 4 channel stick radio as her Rx/Tx System
Running on the water she really looks the part as far as I am concerned. Ready for any action and where I sail her its in a bush scene so really looks like she means business, luckily there are no other boats around or look out haha.
So it was great to see your model and working also.
Charles :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 08:55:40 am »

Yes - only asking for the postage. OK?  Martin

Did you shift this in the end?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:07 am »

Yes. Sir Dicky of D had it.... he started a rebuild of it some on here....

Get well soon Dicky!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 05:59:42 pm »

Hello all fellow Soveremenniers, I like that, here is a picture of my ship to go with the collection shown above.
Bit of fiddly stuff to finish her off like decals etc and a wee bit more white paint then I will be happy.
Sails well, no leaks and powered at 9.6 to which she seems the happiest cruising along.

So can I become a fully fledged Soveremennier now guys and gals ???

Charles

Dreadstar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 05:17:49 pm »

The more the merrier,welcome Charles. :-)) :-))
Vosper MkIII Corvette
Type 24 Frigate
HMS Cyclops
King Midas tug
Sovremenny GMD
Geobukseon(Turtle ship).

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 06:45:53 pm »

Yes. Sir Dicky of D had it.... he started a rebuild of it some on here....

Get well soon Dicky!  :-))

Thanks Martin, I'm still crook and not doing anything although Sovremenny nearly finished, it will still take a while to do.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 11:44:06 pm »

Thank you Dreadstar and Dicky D get well soon and  get her finished.
I have a few tins of paint coming and have ordered the Russian Flags to finish my ship off and then will start to use her a bit more often
when the weather warms up.
Will take decent pictures of her also when camera USB card arrives.
Cheers to you all.

Charles

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 01:23:38 am »

Well upgrade news.

After waiting for stuff to arrive for the Nimitz which still has'nt arrived yet, I took some great advice from Glen Davis's forum on the Lindberg kit he is doing, and did a lot of research on the Sovremenny class.

I was so put off with the way that I had done my ship that I have pulled her down and am redoing her as per how she should look and be painted correctly. The ship I am modelling was decommissioned in 1998 and what happened to her after that goodness only knows.

However I have found a way to get the Turretts working and I see there is plenty of room for various other things inside the Hull.

I also have a business aquaintance who is in the process of redoing the Decals as they should be including the correct name of the Ship in Russian.

So I am excited about 2 projects now and once this camera card comes from the UK which hopefully will be the correct one we can write up about 2 ships and I know that the info will be as per the current information on each ship.

Thanks Glen Davis for the inspiration and enjoyment which will happen I know when these models get into the water.

Sovremenny has already proved herself in the water so I wont be doing really anything to that side of things.

I had a look at the Russian flags which arrived and they will look great  on the white flag holders on the ship.
Charles

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:59 am »

I've found this -
http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/bronco-1200-kamov-ka28-helix-bb2003-p-17026.html

A lot better than the dreadful helicopter that comes with the model.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:34 pm »

Hi there
this is my take on the Sovremenny rtr
well we know they come like this

but this is how my 1 looks at moment

and after sorting the mast

a real 1

i put twin rudders on this along with independant speed control using 2x 10 amp viper esc's running of a 7.2v 3000 mah nihm pack which gives a scale speed at full whack of about 40 odd knots but if only using 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it gives nice scale speeds , i kept the original motors shafts and props in her and she handles nicely , even turns well in reverse
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.