Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTR Smasher "Sovremenny GMD"  (Read 13022 times)

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RTR Smasher "Sovremenny GMD"
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 07:16:51 am »

THANKS Niall for that info re link, what a terrific website there. You know its a funny thing but I have been working on the supplied one haha to try and make it look like the real deal. I notice they had the rear end on back to front anyhow I wont be needing that now thanks to you. for alll those out there with the ship here are some actual colour photos I have found and am thinking about utilising them. I am also buying another cheapie from Ebay and will do her up as well I really think they come up well.

There you are hope they may help in your selections I will also include some actual pictures of Russian Sovremenny class ships as taken by US Naval intelligence whilst on exercise.

Hope that helps any builders out there also, it sure helped me.
Charles :-))

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 07:27:24 am »

Sorry I forgot to mention that the Blue and white colour scheme is the Russian Navy and also the Grey has been utilised by the Navy also.
 :}

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 07:33:22 am »

Armo61......what was the Russian Sovremenny class 435 burning to produce the black smoke.......  %) .......are they not twin gas turbined?????................. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 08:08:41 am »

Hello Derekwarner decoy, Mate I haven't got a clue perhaps they knew the Americans were taking pikkies and were putting up a smoke screen like the old days???? Here are the correct specs as issued by the Russian Navy.
ype:   Anti Aircraft and Anti Ship Destroyer
Displacement:   6,200 tons standard, 7,940 tons full load
Length:   156 m
Beam:   17.3 m
Draught:   6.5 m
Propulsion:   2 shaft steam turbines, 4 boilers, 100,000 hp (75,000 kW), 2 fixed propellers, 2 turbo generators,and 2 diesel generators
Speed:   32.7 knots
Range:   14,000 nm at 14 kt
Complement:   350
Sensors and
processing systems:   
Radar: Air target acquisition radar, 3 × navigation radars, 130 mm gun fire control radars, 3 0mm air-defence gun fire control radar
Sonar: Active and passive under-keel sonar
ES: Tactical situation plotting board, anti-ship missile fire control system, air defence, missile fire control system, and torpedo fire control system
Electronic warfare
and decoys:   2 PK-2 decoy dispensers (200 rockets)
Armament:   
Guns and Missiles
2× 4 Moskit SSM P-270 (SS-N-22 'Sunburn')Anti-ship missiles
2× 24 Shtil SAM(SA-N-12 'Grizzly)
4× (2×2) AK-130-MR-184 130 mm guns
4× 30 mm AK-630 Gatling guns Anti-submarine:
4× (2×2) 533 mm Torpedo tubes
2× RBU-1000 300 mm anti-submarine rocket launcher
Aircraft carried:   1× Ka-27 'Helix'

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 11:19:26 am »

i am pretty sure i read somewhere that they went back to oil fired boilers for those ships
here is a link to quite a few Sov pictures
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sovremenny&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0scsUN7bL-ay0QWj6IGwDA&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=965

also on the box it says 1/115 scale but the dimensions match the 200 scale trumpeter kit so after market pe bits will work , im seriously considering these for my 1
https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1200+USS+Arizona+PE+2002/5140/
https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1200+Sovremenny+PE+2001/5139/
https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1200+Sovremenny+956E+Supplemental+Set+PE+2006/12584/

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 11:28:28 am »

Certainly is a lot of aftermarket parts one didnt know about when you start looking, thanks very much for the info could go on forever or as long as the purse strings hold out eh haha.
Cheers Stormbringer in Bony Scotland (Go the Dons)

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 12:05:23 pm »

no probs mate and those models do come out well , well ive succumbed and ordered the white ensign sovremenny supplemental pe set see how i get on with that lol  :-))
ohh some were sold to China and India so your not limited to Russian

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 02:37:33 pm »

I used the White Ensign PE and 130mm guns on my build.

Stormbringer, I also finished my model as 610. I made some markings for mine to be printed on inkjet transfer film. If you would like a set; they are in PagePlus X6 but I can provided this as a ".pdf". I've attached a picture, this picture is a lot fuzzier than the actual artwork on the file.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 02:44:52 pm »

that would be cool mate but im unsure as to how i would get them printed
i used tesco glitter stars for the stars on the bow , stern and heli and matt clearcoated them and they came out quite nice , i got litterally 1000's of them for about a quid lol (only saw them in a 4 tube pack they came in a few colours but they did a nice red )
its very possible i used your model as inspiration and as a guide to how i wanted my 1 to look   :-))

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 04:20:48 pm »

Do you have an inkjet printer? if so you need a sheet of this -
http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.-Inkjet-Water-Slide-Decal-Paper_151.htm

The parts with white in them need to be printed on the white film. The lettering need to be printed on clear film. Once printed leave to dry then spray with acrylic varnish. Cut out as close to the design as possible and use as water slide transfers.

No problem with copying my build. I scratchbuilt the 30mm gun turrets, the 2 motor boats and the small anti-submarine rocket launchers beside the helicopter pad. I did not change the running gear as I'm still a total novice with RD models.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 04:38:16 pm »

wow cool mate i didnt know you could make your own water slide decals  :-))

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 06:05:57 pm »

They did change a lot of things Stormbringer when the US introduced the Spruance Class Destroyer, they decided to go more into close range weaponry more so than the killers or attack ships that they were designed to be. The latest mod I think is that they have done away with the rear gun and replaced it with what I dont know yet.
I think I will relinquish a few dollars and get the mods also, I like the Mast and Radar set up in the link so I might order the 2 myself. Lot of money for me as its double my currency haha but never mind, thats the  nature of the beast.
I have been offered a great deal on a new Tamiya Yamamoto at 77cm new release so tis very tempting also but if I keep going I will have a room full, I still have the Ticondera and the Blue Devil and the US Ingersoll to come haha I will be busy for a while so I might have a day and night for each ship.
Say monday Nimitz, tuesday Sovremenny, Wednesday Bismarck, Thursday Ticondera and Ingersoll, Friday Blue Devil weekend off and start again how does that sound haha. Gotta go and order my paints to keep going though so will get them ordered today.

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 08:43:55 pm »

Making water slide transfers is something I learned to do back in the 1970's.

Then you painted varnish onto the gummed side of a gummed lugage label. when dry you painted shapes and used Letraset letters, then more varnish.

In the early 80's you could get blank transfer sheets. You still had to paint/Letraset the markings by hand.

The inkjet film method is not bad. There are 2 problems though. Injet printers don't print white and the colours are quite faint. These problems can be solved by using white film but its not easy to cut out complex shapes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.