Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1543 times)

oapanglais

• Shipmate
Advice needed
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:59 am »

Can anyone tell me an effective way to treat brass and copper chains to make them look like rusty old steel chains or at least not like shiny brass? I have tried one called Carr's metal black for brass, which is used by the model railway enthusiasts. This produces a powdery black layer which then needs to be laquered to prevent it being rubbed off. The laquer sticks the links together and then flakes off when the chain is moved.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:19:00 pm »

To rust chains back in my tank building days I'd paint the chain with reddish brown paint and dust with brown chalk dust while the paint was still wet.  After it was all dry put the chain in a container (I used to use an old 35mm film container)  and shake gentlly.  this would knock off the excess chalk dust and leave a really grungy looking length of chain.  A good coat of matt finish to waterproof the whole thing.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

oapanglais

• Shipmate
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:57:52 pm »

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.