Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precedent Huntsman 36" powertrain questions  (Read 2727 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Precedent Huntsman 36" powertrain questions
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:08:14 am »

Well I stole a Fibreglass Huntsman kit on ebay last week, its only the baby one (36" hull) and I have a couple of questions regarding the powertrain and parts suitability

Will this rudder be OK? the instructions just say "Large"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190386430817

And this propshaft?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200638458535&var=500025050284
or should for a larger M5 propshaft?

Power will be a 6S lipo (Got several from my RC Helis) and brushless motor at about 800-1000Kv
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Precedent Huntsman 36" powertrain questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:25:08 am »

the  instructions for this model was based on  Ic I think so think about shaft placment the ones I have seen that sail well have the prop further back have a look on REG181s build I know you know Paul so pm him he will help you.

Peter

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:27:58 am »

Yep I have been talking to him about the upcoming build but didn't want to keep pestering him with every little detail lol

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:14 am »

morning essex ! , ive built two hulls up , one as a huntsman the other as the spear ( enclosed wheelhouse spearfish ) and moved the shafts back towards the stern , both having 8 " m4 stainless shafts from marks model bits in newport . having them on twins shafts reduces the amount of roll when cornering at speed . for motors ive got a pair of model motors direct 777 in the huntsman being driven by a single  electronize 15 amp esc , whereas the spear is running two eflight park 450 brushless motors , with fusion tornado escs ( one per motor ) each being fed with a 11.1 v lipo , its still very much in the testing stages but is already lifting the bow , and giving a reasonable 40 mins of running time ! jon

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:58:41 am »

thanks for the reply
is it difficult to convert to a 2 motor setup?
Any chance of a couple of pictures?

I've been busy collecting up bits and bobs ready for the arrival of the kit (last seen leaving Copenhagen according to the tracking number lol)

I have a 200A watercooled Brushless speed controller on the way.  Not expecting it to be 200 proper amps as its rated in the much smaller chinese amps :) and a 1020Kv 4240 660W brushless outrunner. This will fitted to a watercooled mount (After discussions with Red181 I decided to go with a slightly smaller motor than the one he suggested as His Huntsman is a 48")
This should give a no load shaft speed of around 18krpm allowing for about 20% loss
Batteries are 2800Mah 40C 6S lipos from my Trex-500
As outrunners are known for heat soak after running I may run a small auxillary water pump to keep water flowing through the cooling system

Props are yet to be purchased depending on my decidion of 4 or 5mm propshaft (leaning towards 4mm for better prop selection), but I will be buying a selection of plastics from 30mm upwards for testing purposes.  Once testing is complete a suitable brass prop will be found

There will be lots more questions over the coming weeks I think

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:44:02 pm »

although both hulls were purchased as second hand models ive removed everything , glassed up the original holes from inside and started again , in order to gain a little freeboard my cabin sides are also permanently fixed into the hulls , both the cabin roof sections and cockpit floor are removable on the huntsman while the spear has the front cabin roof , rear floor and rear of wheelhouse / floor removable . the motors are below the cockpit floors on both models

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »

Ive decided to go with a single prop setup for now, but I'll probably live to regret it lol

So next question should I go with a 4mm or 5mm propshaft? There seems to be more choice of props in 4mm, but I'm wondering if the extra thickness/rigidity of the 5mm shaft would be better

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:21 am »

ive gone for the 4mm shafts on all of my models as there is a reasonable range of props available at my local model shop ! my brushless spear is currently running a pair of handed 30mm 2 bladed jobs from graupner , at least with the lipo packs ive managed to save a little weight .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.