Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: converted 1:24 perkasa  (Read 3429 times)

dave goldsmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm only happy if I'm miserable
converted 1:24 perkasa
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:22 pm »

Well here goes my first build post:
Over twenty years ago a friend of mine, gave me a 1:24 perkasa hull which had been damaged by him pouring in polyurethane foam into the front section of the hull, when the foam expanded it pushed the bottom out of the hull, he did this on all his boats because he was putting bigger and bigger engines in a number of these hulls and lots of them went to the bottom!

I had just started to build boats (see post in beginners section) and so i repaired the hole and set about converting the hull to something else along the lines of a coastguard cutter.
I cut the hull down along the water line for a lower sleeker look, and put a deck on the front at a higher level.
20 Years later i got this out the loft to build for my grandson.
Dusted it off googled coastguard cutter loads of pics later i found this wonderful forum.
Took the top deck off the front and lowered it so the gunwales showed, added a small locker at the front as the bow was damaged, and the wood is only 1/32 ply

front view

nice sleek shape, not much like the island class hulls but this is not meant to be a fine scale model just a boat to take over the pond with my grandson :-)

rear view.

I want to incorporate a rear launch ramp, so will be cutting the transom down to waterline.
Heres my first problem i would like advice on. Its a single motor and i dont really want to convert to twin, but i need to have two rudders due to the rear launch bay being so low.
Will one motor be ok with two rudders, and how do i rig them from one servo. i really need the servo arms to be either side of the ramp beyond the bulkhead in the picture. Diagram anyone?
this is the type of thing im thinking of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQuR0GR7Sw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL4855D3D65D8FB2EE
As you can see it wont accommodate a central rudder.
Has any body seen a jet boat model called "NQD aeroboat tear into jet boat". This would be ideal starter for a working boat, i cant seem to find any for sale?
This would work out to 16 ft, the real ones are 25 ft but as i cant extend the hull to 123 ft that should make up for it.
Lastly any suggestions for motor, battery, esc combos. i would like sla due to long running time (quick question does more Ah mean longer running time) dont want a racing boat so no trick motors for me! ;)
Well there's a start
I'm only happy if I'm miserable

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: converted 1:24 perkasa
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »

a twin rudder set up shouldnt pose much of a problem , you may want a bell cranked tiller arm to mount the servo further forward , both of my twin rudder / propshaft  boats have the rudder servo mounted on its side inbetween the rudders , with the linkages just above the waterline , the nqd jet boats need work to provide them with a good turn of speed , but they dont have any form of reversing bucket so are a forward only vessel , however graupner do sell a mini jet unit , which has the reversing bucket , its also easier to get replacement props etc . the unit is around the same money as the whole ndq model ! ive owned an nqd version which i bought just to get the jet drive , which is now fitted in a scratch built 15 " dory , im now working on a mk2 with the graupner unit and larger hull . how are you hoping to launch & recover your daughter boat form its mother ship  ? jon 

dave goldsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »

a twin rudder set up shouldnt pose much of a problem , you may want a bell cranked tiller arm to mount the servo further forward , both of my twin rudder / propshaft  boats have the rudder servo mounted on its side inbetween the rudders , with the linkages just above the waterline , the nqd jet boats need work to provide them with a good turn of speed , but they dont have any form of reversing bucket so are a forward only vessel , however graupner do sell a mini jet unit , which has the reversing bucket , its also easier to get replacement props etc . the unit is around the same money as the whole ndq model ! ive owned an nqd version which i bought just to get the jet drive , which is now fitted in a scratch built 15 " dory , im now working on a mk2 with the graupner unit and larger hull . how are you hoping to launch & recover your daughter boat form its mother ship  ? jon 
Thanks for the info Jon, did look at the mini jet unit but as you say it's the same price as a nqd, but having just found one it's 16" long not scale 16' so will probably go with the graupner  unit, on a scratch built RIB.As for the launch, hadn't given it a lot of thought yet, didn't really want it rc so a spring latch of some sort, was not too worried about a launch, but only recovery on a spring latch . any pics of your jet drive boats. Sorry to sound dumb but what does a bell cranked tiller arm look like?

dave goldsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:30:57 pm »

This week has been spent filling and sanding the hull, and reading  how much has changed in 20 odd years!
Also made a better stand foe the hull, will post pics monday. Went over to my local pond today, a nice selection of craft on show, really cant wait to get the old boat back on the run!
Have clocked up nearly 14 hours on the site :-)

dave goldsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:05:11 pm »

I have now spent over 2 days reading posts. Spent all day yesterday, filling and rubbing down, mainly squaring up the deck edges which had been rounded over. One problem I have is the prop-shaft. I don't have a shaft for it and I think it's an old size. The shaft diameter would be 3/16 ( a 3/16 punch fits nicely) and the tube length is 14 1/2 inches, any ideas where I could get one as I don't really want to change the tube!. Will put a pic up later. Any suggestions as to a motor, I will try to find perkasa type boat builds and see what others are using in a 1/24 model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.