Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCT AREZZO  (Read 3728 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
LCT AREZZO
« on: April 05, 2007, 06:49:21 pm »

not sure this qualifies as a warship, but shes grey, at the moment. started her over 5 years ago and still an awful long way to go. had her so long my drawings have faded. any way she is 1/24 scale and scratch built, even the stanchions have been made by me. boring, and painfull on the finger tips, from trying to drill out the balls and then solder them. i can only just carry it, and she still doesnt go any near the water line, even with 1x6v and 1x12v lead acid battery. so i have two pumps, on for the front tank and one for the rear tank. still needs lead. she is actualy quite fun to sail as there is no keel or skeg, using a mixer helps alot. the ramp lowers and raises, all the lights work, trouble is i cant remember what voltage they are, dont want to risk blowing one so run them on 6v.
need to spray the bits i havnt alredy but cant remember what shade of grey i used used. nuts. but i have some photos of her in camo, brown and black, may do that. it's horrible.
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LCT AREZZO
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:52:01 pm »

ok, so help needed. i'm not happy with the size of cord i have used for the ramp or the fact that it is hairey, even though i have used a boat modellers product. any sugestions on size and stopping it from getting hairey?
cheers guys
colin
grumpy old XXX

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 07:11:14 pm »

Hi Colin,

Have you thought about using fishing line for your ramp door chord. I understand that various colours are available. Might just work.

BTW, the model is looking good.  I started an 1:35 Arezzo some years ago but with a bought fibreglass hull. Part way through the build,  when I was putting the deck in, I noticed a problem with the hull. Nothing was square and it seemed impossible to rectify.  I'll get around to scratch building a hull sometime in the future.  I've completed the superstructure and its safely tucked away, protected from the sunlight as not to fade the paint.

Good luck with the rest of the build

Terry.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:25:34 pm »

know the hull well. try telling the guy who produced it that it was P++++d. wouldnt have it. any way she does kook good. fully fitted ou the inside of mine, again all ight working and ramp works, great fun. NOT.
thanks for the sugestion, but not the right texture. needs to look like rope or a hauser.
ta
colin
grumpy old XXX

cdsc123

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:07:44 pm »

Hi Colin
Nice LCT, there's a couple of products you may want to try from your local yacht chandlery.
From Marlow Ropes try waxed whipping twine, probably a number 4 would be about right, although this may be prone to slippage. Otherwise try their polyester cord, it is similar to the stuff for blinds but less prone to chafe damage. 2mm would be about right, their smallest size. Both are available in white.
Regards, Christian.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 09:26:02 pm »

cheers, 2mm will be too big, but its food for thought.
ta
colin
grumpy old XXX

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 09:41:07 pm »

Colin,

Have a look at the Amati fittings on the Westbourne Models Site. http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/amati-model-boat-fittings.asp

Scoll down to EA4124
Sizes range from 0.1mm to 2.5 mm. The reference to hemp is the colour (buff)

I have the 0.10mm and no hairs.

Hope this helps,
Terry.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 12:18:45 pm »

Or try what I used for my model brickies string, works well and looks like rope......

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:56:32 pm »

Or try what I used for my model brickies string, works well and looks like rope......

Roy

string, string, we trades men use a Line,  ;D ;D

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 07:44:06 pm »

with you on that
grumpy old XXX

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 08:47:58 pm »

Beeswax on the cord perhaps?

chromedome

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 05:52:44 pm »

This is what I would use.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 06:32:29 pm »

took her out for another test toaday, every run seems to be a test. the first lot of motors/gear box were caldercraft with 6:1 gear box. changed the motors for £5 jobbies, much better. unfortuantly the ballast pumps are filling/emptying far too slowly. and the end bearing melted, quality Graupner! took me ages to get the water out witha syringe. cant carry her otherwise.
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 06:33:49 pm »

i know that this is not a boat, think the tracks give it away, but it is to go ont the LCT.
it started life as a badly out of scale Abrams. but as it was motorised, and the nearest i could find to a challenger, it had to be done.
so after cutting the life out of ot and throwing away all but the hull, the motors and wheels i set about rebuilding. using a 1/35 Challenger as the master set about measuring and cutting. over a year later this is where i am at. not overly happy but found it difcult to measure the various facets on the 1/35th version.
grumpy old XXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.