Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speed controllers for multi-motors  (Read 2486 times)

bigH

speed controllers for multi-motors
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:07:40 pm »

Helppp    could anyone please help me on the following???    I need to fit a speed controller to a large tug ( 36" ) which has TWO motors, and I need to control both from the one control.   Would it be better to use a Bob board or one of the other ones on the market?   how would I wire everything up? when it comes to electrics I still have trouble using the light switch.  Thanks a lot  bigH ???

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: speed controllers for multi-motors
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:10:16 pm »

Hi,

Depends on the motor and prop sizes as to which speed controller you go for. You need to get one that is 110% or so of the amperage of both motors running full speed.

As to connecting, just connect like terminals on both motors together, and treat them as one motor for the connection from the esc.

HTH

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 07:36:42 pm »

Have a look at this link to the main Mayhem site:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/Electrics/Images/setupsA4JPG.jpg
Diagram 1 should do the trick.

In the light of others' experience it would seem wise to avoid Bob's Boards unless you really know about motors, stall currents etc. They work fine if you can match the right board to the right motor, otherwise they are troublesome. A lot of folk seem to use MTronik ESCs these days; maybe give one of their 15A ones a try? Electronize are also popular but a bit bigger and more expensive.

Suit yourself, eh?

FLJ

bigH

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:05:19 am »

Thank you Jan and FLJ for your help so quickly, very kind of you.   FLJ,I have down loaded the schematics that you pointed me towards and think that this will suit me fine,  I have also noted your advice as to the controllers and will order one as soon as the holiday is over......    bigH

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:20:53 am »

Hi,

Depends on the motor and prop sizes as to which speed controller you go for. You need to get one that is 110% or so of the amperage of both motors running full speed.

As to connecting, just connect like terminals on both motors together, and treat them as one motor for the connection from the esc.

HTH

Ian

Would just like to point out that if you connect like terminals together ie + to+ and - to -  both motors will run in the same direction.
You do not really want this on twin screws. You want to connect + to - and - to + .

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bigH

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 03:36:49 pm »

Thank you Richard, I will note your advice   bigH
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.