Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sleep deprivation time again !!  (Read 7534 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sleep deprivation time again !!
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 05:45:18 pm »

All this ranting is a bit silly really. What, on Saturday, was 8am became on Sunday 9am. A much nicer time to be able to sit outside with a coffee and the Sunday Times. And so it remained for most of the day. Whoever thought up the notion of shifting time was a genius....deserves a medal. But...always a "but"....if we, heaven forfend, go to "Berlin Time" which is 1 hour ahead of us, then you'll be expected to get up and go to work a lot earlier than you really want to.
But in the wise words of (Truman)...."If it ain't broke, then don't fix it". BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 05:54:21 pm »

What country is the MAYHEM clock in.   :}

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 08:05:05 pm »

i suffer with insomnia...so day and night dont really make much of a difference to me :)
one is easier to see and said...but there are more folk about
the other is much quieter and more peacefull
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 08:13:11 pm »

In Arizona the First Nation (what was the reservation) don't change to Daylight saving but the rest of the State does. So some of them can leave for work an hour late and still arrive on time, obversely you can be real late.  %%
Don't Assume Check

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 09:18:45 pm »

What country is the MAYHEM clock in.   :}

Alice in wonderland of course  %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »

On an earlier post (on here) there was a reference to how our life cycles were decided by the sun.
The female of the species (women) operarate 0n the lunar cycle. About a day shorter than the male. This causes all sorts of problems between the Male/Female harmony. Tell me, which "male" hasn't been subjected to irrational abuse on a regular 28 day cycle. I rest my case. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 09:43:28 pm »

I know what you mean I really don't understand why we have to put our clocks forward and backward every year  {:-{ {:-{ As far as I know we are the only European country to do this.
I just think It's a bit silly now  %% %%

Why..

Who's to say that the other European countrys are correct!!  Well done England, Scotland & Wales, Keep it up... and while were complaining, it aint half getting on my nerves the amount of news reports who talk about distance in kilometers, last I checked we were still using MPH and miles for speed and distance or should we follow all the other Eropean countrys as well.  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »

Why..

Who's to say that the other European countrys are correct!!  Well done England, Scotland & Wales, Keep it up... and while were complaining, it aint half getting on my nerves the amount of news reports who talk about distance in kilometers, last I checked we were still using MPH and miles for speed and distance or should we follow all the other Eropean countrys as well.  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Oi, we ainta European an we alsa speka da inglis but not av  MPH na more, itza a kilo ere now an ya need ta catch up wit da wurld <*< <*< <*< <*<

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:21 pm »

Oi, we ainta European an we alsa speka da inglis but not av  MPH na more, itza a kilo ere now an ya need ta catch up wit da wurld <*< <*< <*< <*<

Why should we... :}

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 11:05:47 pm »

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 11:14:24 pm »

I just can't see the point of change because of the Main Land Europeans..  Does Australia have a time change ?.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2012, 11:29:51 pm »

I just can't see the point of change because of the Main Land Europeans..  Does Australia have a time change ?.

All states, except us, (Queensland), put their clocks forward for daylight saving. O0 O0

It was tried once, here in Queensland when first implemented, but never since, as it was a resounding failure.

The other states, have a crack at us from time to time, due to time differences of the Eastern seaboard states with Queensland, 1 hour difference in summer. See Derek Warner's dig above. Reply 9  {-) {-) {-)

There are standard time zone differences across the country minus two hours between Western Australia, west coast state and East coast states, because of GMT zones from east to west

But we have thick hides and can stand up for ourselves.

Better duck for cover now.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:54 am »

Sounds like sour grapes to me..... >:-o ....raaartygunner says.... see Derek Warner's dig above

Clearly the man has lost his sences as NSW is always below QLD & was never above  %% :o ...but to humour him I suggest he follows the simple FIX

Select your Profile Icon.......select Modify Profile...select Look & Layout Preferences......tick both lower box's....& bingo the last post is displayed at the top

Good luck  :-)) ...that will be $10.00 [please]  O0 ........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 08:54:51 am »

Sounds like sour grapes to me..... >:-o ....raaartygunner says.... see Derek Warner's dig above

Clearly the man has lost his sences as NSW is always below QLD & was never above  %% :o ...but to humour him I suggest he follows the simple FIX

Select your Profile Icon.......select Modify Profile...select Look & Layout Preferences......tick both lower box's....& bingo the last post is displayed at the top

Good luck  :-)) ...that will be $10.00 [please]  O0 ........Derek

Ya lern sumtin evry day  :-)) :-))

The Check iz in da mail  O0 O0

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:14 pm »

Thank you to all for some not unreasonable comments / arguements.

I've a few points to make:-

1. Unless I'm mistaken - daylight saving was brought in during WWII to assist with food production - WWII ended in 1945 so why do we still need daylight saving now ?

2. As stated earlier - modern farm machinery works "brilliantly"  8) in the dark - just drive around almost any road near a farm at harvesting time to see this in action

3. If the hourly change were abolished we would move nice and smoothly between the seasons and hardly notice any change at all. June 21st would still be the longest day
   and Dec 21st would still be the shortest day of the year.

4. Is there any advantage to moving time further forward onto Central European time when we've been functioning quite sufficiently on GMT for centuries ?

Food for thought anyway.

Regards,

Ray.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 11:04:57 pm »

In OZ, my understanding is that the reason why clocks are changed is because of Industrial Arbitration and regulations to do with working awards.

Most 'awards' determine when 'overtime' penalty rates will apply which includes, starting early as being 'overtime'. Example 8 hours to be worked between 0800 - 1700hrs Mon - Fri. So if you are told to start one hour earlier, it is overtime, at penalty rates.

It is easier to change clocks than to amend every State and Federal Industrial award and Regulations to accommodate daylight saving.

There is a bit more to it as well, such as time between starting and "breaks".

So it easier to change the clock. No entitlement to overtime etc, no arguments all working same times, same industrial award  as before.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 11:21:27 pm »

Well said Ray.  Nice smooth transition through the seasons.  For the many of us unable to switch sleep on/off like a Planet T5 this outdated clock changing involves weeks of major jet-lag body clock disruption.  Frankly I am losing an hours sleep each morning, yet am still unable to get to sleep any earlier despite what clock hands nominally point to.  Even meal times are out of sync with the bodies natural rhythms.

Of course we could have Summer Time all year round, in which case the Meridian might just as well be moved from Greenwich to Paris as Britain would no longer have any use for it.    
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 11:42:36 pm »

Actually, Ray, I am pretty sure they used Double Summer Time during the war - two hours.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:14 am »

I spent a whole hour last Saturday night looking for the hour I lost.I never did find it so I went to bed. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:27 am »

And it started in WW1.
According to wiki, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time ) all of non Russian Europe along with most of North America and sizeable chunks of the Southern Hemisphere.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 11:36:13 am »

we have it to. finishes next weekend. at least this time round we gain an hour. yahoo a long weekend.

iron99

• Shipmate
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2012, 03:55:13 pm »

An old story I heard somewhere - An old Indian asked his white friend to explain daylight saving time to him. Upon hearing said explanation, the old Indian commented " only white man cut 1 foot off blanket and sew on other end to make blanket longer."

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2012, 04:42:32 pm »

An old story I heard somewhere - An old Indian asked his white friend to explain daylight saving time to him. Upon hearing said explanation, the old Indian commented " only white man cut 1 foot off blanket and sew on other end to make blanket longer."

Wrong analogy altogether. You just move the blanket up or down until it covers either your head or your feet!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.