Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FRENCH PVC SUBMARINE ATLANTIS  (Read 2557 times)

HARBORMASTER

• Shipmate
FRENCH PVC SUBMARINE ATLANTIS
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »

Somewhere I came across plans for atlantis a french model made from plexiglas tubing she is 390 mm long.  Would anyone be able to point me
in the right direction for more information on the build.  Thanks for your time Harbormaster

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines

HARBORMASTER

• Shipmate
Re: FRENCH PVC SUBMARINE ATLANTIS
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:23:00 pm »

Thank you very much for the site.  Do you know if anyone has built this model it seems as though it might be a good one to start with anf the battery tubes could be released on a line for safety flotation.  Thanks again Harbormaster

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:51:17 pm »

Well the chap that built the site is one. It looks like an excellent design to me, sturdy and well thought out. There is a lot of scope for the builder to adapt the design to their own requirements and building techniques. You don't have to use acrylic tubing for the hull, PVC would be tougher and cheaper (builders throw a lot of unused tubing out). You can scale the boat up or down to suit the tubing diameter and equipment you have to hand, for instance 11cm PVC waste pipe would result in a model 10% bigger, still a handy size, but a bit more space inside. The boat could be built as a dynamic or static diver, and for the latter you could use a water pump system if the converted syringe based piston tank looks too tricky, as you'd need a lathe really to build that bit.

Having the batteries release would pose a technical challenge. I haven't seen anyone do that to be honest, it would probably be easier to have a lead weight which could be dropped if you want some sort of emergency flotation, that's how the fullsize submersibles do it.

HARBORMASTER

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:29:44 pm »

Thank you very much for the input I have acquired a piece of pvc pipe and am slowly gathering the other parts that I need and  on the web for information on the water ballasting system.  I have a number of syringes that we use in production that are roughly the same size as the caulking cartridges that you suggested and will probably build some small test assemblys befor I try to make the sub.  i will incorporate  your idea of a ballast weight release for safety.  Thanks again Garey

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:21:00 pm »

Sounds like you're doing well. Bench testing is an excellent idea.

The boat will work very well as a dynamic diver, so you do have the option of omitting the ballast system, which could be added at a later stage if you wish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 22 queries.