Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Groan! Panic buying is back.  (Read 6631 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Groan! Panic buying is back.
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:16:45 pm »

Thanks to the radio news, no doubt tv and internet news, fuel panic buying started today! A friend tells me his local Shell station sold out of fuel today due to panic buying and had to close for 6 hours before the tanker arrived.

Local morrisions was chocca when I went to fill up (I have a daily commute of over 100 miles a day).

Lord wept, why do they have to stir this up?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Groan! Panic buying is back.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:03:18 pm »

It seems that the Army will come to the rescue
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/army-to-provide-surly-24%11hour-garage-service-201203265055/

When I called in at Sainsburys filling station near Bishop Aukland on my way over to South Shields on Saturday that was packed solid, but that was because petrol was about 2P a litre cheaper than anywhere else.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:52:00 pm »

Somebody told me a while ago that if I filled up with one of the "big brand" petrols I would get better mileage.

I filled up at an "Esso" garage and sure enough I got a further 20 miles on a tankfull when compared with a supermarket brand. O0

I still can't work out whether the extra miles attained outweigh the difference in the price - anyone got any experience of this ? and does the cheaper petrol have any adverse effect on the engine ?  :o

............wish I'd been born rich instead of good looking ! {-) {-)

Regards,

Ray.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:03 pm »

it would be more benificial if instead of panic buying , people would actually support those tanker drivers in their bid for better working conditions , driving a 44 tonne / 33000 litre highly volitile truck has a huge responsibility , not only for the drivers saftey but for the rest of the community too !

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:43 pm »

Funny, I just did two identical weeks work covering the same mileages. One on Murco from an independent station and one on Sainsburys. Sainsbury's won by over 5%.

No sign of queues here - yet!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:24 pm »

it would be more benificial if instead of panic buying , people would actually support those tanker drivers in their bid for better working conditions , driving a 44 tonne / 33000 litre highly volitile truck has a huge responsibility , not only for the drivers saftey but for the rest of the community too !

Having spent 40 odd years driving Class 1 HGVs I can safely say that oil company tanker drivers have always had the highest pay and best working conditions in the transport industry and I certainly wont be supporting them. There are plenty of drivers carrying far more dangerous loads for a lot less money under worse conditions, Did the tanker drivers ever support the rest of us during the fuel blockades or industrial action, I dont think so.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:04:06 pm »

If the reports of what tanker drivers earn are correct. Then it seems to me that there wages are excellent.So they do not have my support. Possibly the best thing would be to sack the lot of them. Im sure that there are plenty of decent responsible drivers who would work for far less. John.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 11:23:36 pm »

There was someone from the lorry drivers (not tanker drivers) on the radio the other day saying exactly the same as DickyD.
It should be the other drivers we support - they already get the better wages.

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 11:40:03 pm »

These tanker drivers are on an average of £ 45,000 per annum which is approximately twice the normal HGV wage.

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 11:49:06 pm »

Resposibility...alsmost was in a crash today thanks to one of them tho...idiot was just sat yapping away on the cellphone
weaving down the a38 at one point as we were overtaking him he pretty much swearved into our lane and we had to slam the brakes on
if there was anyone behind us... we would have been toast
yet he is on a really good salery and gets much better working conditions than most truck drivers ( or so my dad used to say )
now they go on strike ?
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

Cotti

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:30:29 am »

I used to drive buses a few years ago and if ever there was a responsible job but with terrible pay and working conditions ten that was it!

Paul

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:03:55 am »

which picket line were you on back when the hauliers were on strick a few years back ? a good many on the line i was attending wouldnt cross the line , . the current situation isnt about the pay these drivers are EARNING  its the conditions they are being forced into working under , as any haulier knows the gov imposed 56mph speed limit restricts how much can now be done within our drivers hours

ACTion

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:18 am »

which picket line were you on back when the hauliers were on strick a few years back ? a good many on the line i was attending wouldnt cross the line , . the current situation isnt about the pay these drivers are EARNING  its the conditions they are being forced into working under , as any haulier knows the gov imposed 56mph speed limit restricts how much can now be done within our drivers hours
I read the speed limit for HGVs to be 60MPH on motorways, not 56. Be that as it may, if companies are forcing drivers to break the law ref driving hours and speed limits then they should be prosecuted, as should drivers using mobile phones while at the wheel. Paying the drivers more is no honorable solution, it only makes the drivers complicit in a conspiracy to break the law. It's also no reason for about five hundred blokes to hold the whole country to ransom. As an old trade union member I hate to say it but I don't support this action and I would not cry if the whole ruddy lot of 'em were sacked. £45K is a decent screw in anyone's language (apart from the usual cast of bankers, brokers, agents, MPs, footballers and the rest of the clowns, whores and comic singers).
Dave M

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:10 am »

I'm with DickyD and DaveM on this one . . .

Another Union Leader (the general secretary of Unite, Len McCluskey) wanting to flex his muscles
- it happens from time to time.

richald
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:52:56 pm »

Wish you'd stop mincing your words Dave and say what you mean! {-) {-) {-)

Nice one :-))

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 03:47:27 pm »

Exactly what conditions do the tanker drivers not like? Surely driving at 56 or 60 mph just means less deliverys a day. Thats not their problem. They still get the same pay. Does a petrol tanker have a tachograph? Hope someone can explain. Thanks John.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 10:02:11 pm »

all commercial vehicles over 3.5 tonnes gross weight have to be fitted with a tachograph , there are a few exceptions on vehicles needing to use them . although you may read the highway code as stating speed limit for hgvs on motorways as 60 mph , all newerhgv have a speed limiter fitted that is pre set to 56MPH  , this is apparently the most fuel cost effective speed according to BRUSSELS  . i ve  seen the adr courses that the road tanker drivers have to attend ( run by united transport tankers , avonmouth ) , AND  also  been an owner operator  myself , as well as driving commercial vehicles for other opeartors and have seen all manner of idiot manuvers out on our road system daily and not just by those who insist on using a hand held moblie phone while driving ! to date ive not heard anything that has stated that those tanker drivers ARE  coming out on strike

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 11:14:36 pm »

all commercial vehicles over 3.5 tonnes gross weight have to be fitted with a tachograph , there are a few exceptions on vehicles needing to use them . although you may read the highway code as stating speed limit for hgvs on motorways as 60 mph , all newerhgv have a speed limiter fitted that is pre set to 56MPH  , this is apparently the most fuel cost effective speed according to BRUSSELS  . i ve  seen the adr courses that the road tanker drivers have to attend ( run by united transport tankers , avonmouth ) , AND  also  been an owner operator  myself , as well as driving commercial vehicles for other opeartors and have seen all manner of idiot manuvers out on our road system daily and not just by those who insist on using a hand held moblie phone while driving ! to date ive not heard anything that has stated that those tanker drivers ARE  coming out on strike
So what is your point exactly ? 

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 11:21:36 pm »

when ddi you last drive for a living  DICK

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 11:47:03 pm »

2004 for TDG so what is your point ?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:48 pm »

The way the government are handling this and, the public panic buying (so they can drive 6 miles to the supermarket on a full tank  <*<), they dont need to go on strike!

2 major filling stations within a mile of me are out of fuel. The local morrisons is gridlocked with people trying to fill up.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 09:50:26 am »

i needed fuel yesterday, i was on reserve and the warning light was on ! - i passed a tescos filling station and joinerd the queue to fill up,
 there clearly was a large number of people hyped up by recent media reports who Were PANIC BUYING FUEL,

as i pulled up to the pump the previous pump user ( driving a mondeo )  had put £7-30 worth of fuel in his vehicle.... that is panic buying !- but only keeping his tank topped up like the crazy media reports suggested....

me... i bunged £80 of diesel in !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 10:22:15 am »

Typical government manipulation - those muppets that wasted fuel rushing to a petrol station queue, wasted time and fuel sitting in the queue have simply succeeded in swelling the governments coffers before the end of their financial year.

All this about drivers being 'forced to speed ' to hit targets and other H & S issues is probably just twaddle, blown up out of all proportion. Problems created by union officials to drag people out on strike creating anomosity within companies, families and friendships - and you lose pay whilst you're 'out' - yet the union officials still get their even larger salaries and bonuses. So what do they really care, they're no better than politicians....blood sucking leeches the lot of them.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 10:40:43 am »

Hi all, re the panic buying of fuel.
 The Irish had an answer for it 30 odd years ago when they had a fuel shortage, You could only buy a minimum of 4 gallons.  There were no queues at the garages. 

We were in Southern Ireland, and as we were on holiday we were given petrol coupons to make sure the holiday was not spoilt and we toured around and had a very nice holiday.
A pity we have politicians who make silly remarks in public.
regards Roy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 23 queries.