Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Groan! Panic buying is back.  (Read 6633 times)

Dave13

Re: Groan! Panic buying is back.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 11:31:28 am »

Typical government manipulation - those muppets that wasted fuel rushing to a petrol station queue, wasted time and fuel sitting in the queue have simply succeeded in swelling the governments coffers before the end of their financial year.

All this about drivers being 'forced to speed ' to hit targets and other H & S issues is probably just twaddle, blown up out of all proportion. Problems created by union officials to drag people out on strike creating anomosity within companies, families and friendships - and you lose pay whilst you're 'out' - yet the union officials still get their even larger salaries and bonuses. So what do they really care, they're no better than politicians....blood sucking leeches the lot of them.

Grasshopper

I have to agree with you 100% as I went to the super market yesterday and their was massive queues for the petrol station.  %% %% I just don't know whats wrong with people!!
Dave:)

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:24 am »

Grasshopper

I have to agree with you 100% as I went to the super market yesterday and their was massive queues for the petrol station.  %% %% I just don't know whats wrong with people!!

Usually people DO start to panic buy when a government minister goes on television and tells every one "there's no need to panic buy"
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

Dave13

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 11:52:19 am »

Usually people DO start to panic buy when a government minister goes on television and tells every one "there's no need to panic buy"

Yeah well if they didn't go out and panic buy their would probably enough fuel for every one  :-) :-)
It's seems to me that the whole thing is being blown up out of all proportions by the government.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 11:54:06 am »

saw this earlier...

Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 01:02:35 pm »

As usual its the car owners that loose out having to buy petrol at inflated prices from various petrol companies,
having to wait in ques for this (privilege)
 all on the pretext that the tanker drivers may strike. over pay? ask the workers who are on minimum wage if they would
like to train to be a tanker driver, but state that the pay is only £45,000 a year and see how many jump at the chance.
It seems their wages are as inflated as the price of petrol.

john

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:11 pm »

swelling the governments coffers before the end of their financial year.

Well said grasshopper - I was thinking along the same lines - the end of the financial year is looming so this surge in fuel sales will give a false indicator to whichever set of figures they decide to use for their reports.  >>:-(

Regards,

Ray.

n.b. I am no financial expert but common sense can see through these manipulations ! ;D

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 06:37:29 pm »

Just read in the news that a woman from York has suffered 40% burns after decanting petrol from a container,
into an open jug, in a kitchen with a lighted gas stove.
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »

Sheer stupidiy really, but a lot of people just don't realise how dangerous petrol is. A petrol/air mixture is explosive. Somebody once remarked to me that if petrol had just been invented it would be banned, and I think there is a lot of truth in that.

Keeping it at home is definitely a bad idea unless it's a small can in the shed for the lawnmower - never let it anywhere near the house. The thought of people keeping jerrycans of it in the garage terrifies me.

Colin

Kangaroo1

• Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 08:45:04 pm »

To the fuel tanker drivers who are going to strike ...

Your jobs will have to be done by armed service personnel of whom none will be on 45k a year as you are ....
All have had enforced pension changes and a two-year pay freeze ....
And your jobs are the last thing that our stretched armed services need at this time...
So can you stop moaning and if you dislike your job and your employers so much, then quit ....

And you could join the armed forces and then you will understand what hard and dangerous work really is.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 09:03:22 pm »

The thought of people keeping jerrycans of it in the garage terrifies me.
Me to. 
It didn't worry the government minister who did, whatever he later said, encourage the keeping of a highly volatile fuel in or around homes, or any of his advisers.  Few of them have any greater knowledge or actual wisdom than the rest of us, but they do have the ability to talk themselves into jobs that they have no ability to fulfill without actually worrying about being caught out by facts.  The truth behind the incident is probably that the unfortunate lady would have suffered an accident anyway, but someone, somewhere will try to make political capital out of the incident anyway.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »

Even keeping a small quantity of petrol in the shed is not a good idea, especially if you happen to be charging your LiPo battery away from the house for 'safety'   {:-{
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 11:50:01 pm »

I just bunged fifteen quid in the car (it was, after all, below "empty") after finishing a shift at Sainsbury's tonight.

The petrol checkout operator there said her till had served "over 950 people" that day - perhaps 50% up on normal - and that people were filling all sorts of tanks to be placed in their boots => dangerous practice.

The thing is - and I never normally buy conspiracy theories - I'm not sure if the government are SO stupid to cause an unnecessary panic like this through a badly worded comment. What if they'd rather people filled up while deliveries are still being made, in order to diminish any effects of a "few days'" strike? I bet in most cases, cars with full tanks will not mind if garages are empty for a week or so. Win for government from the additional taxes (and it's a flippin' huge amount of cash) and win for them dealing with dissenting unions...not least because, without a doubt the memory & effects of the tanker strike under the Blair government looms large. And then threatening army support to maintain supplies means the possibility of real fuel shortages is near-zero anyway.

It's all game-playing and typical politics, I think.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

peter c

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 12:56:27 am »

I agree with you.

I usually fill up when the needle reaches the last mark before the red section, this gives me about 100 miles before running dry (pure guesstimate, never run out of petrol yet!).

People seem to forget unions give 7 days notice of any strike action, which gives plenty of time to fill up, they seem to think everything will happen tomorrow.

Peter

Member of Chasewater Model Boat Club and Mid Wales Model Boat Club

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 10:52:07 am »

In my 20 plus years as a TU rep I have never known anyone who wants to go on strike.
The tanker drivers are not striking about pay, but their conditions which have been slowly eroded over years and their employers not taking the changed seriously.
This leads to frustration which slowly grows to dissatisfaction and anger.
From my understanding of the situation the concerns are safety and portable pensions.
As the drivers are on short term contracts due to the contracts awarded to the companies this leads to problems for things like getting a mortgage (if you can get one) and confusion about pensions.
If i changed employment every 3 years I would have over 11 pensions to deal with.
Some reasonable employers don't have a great problem with portable pensions but others do.
As with all contracted out industries price is usually king.
Some however maintain a good level of communication with the workforce but so many are only interested in making as much money out of a contract as possible ( I have been there).
This does lead to nil investment in the workforce and dissatisfaction.
Isn't it funny how after the Govt make such stupid, basic mistakes that the drivers can have their hours of work extended which will ensure that the drivers earn overtime and even more money!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.