Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronize ESC and PCM  (Read 6773 times)

classicdelights

Electronize ESC and PCM
« on: April 06, 2007, 09:07:13 am »

I am wondering if anyone else has had problems using Electronize ESC, the FR30HX in particular, with a PCM radio.  I use the Futaba 3VC and starting having problems trying to use the FR30HX with a PCM receiver and the transmitter in PCM mode.  One controller worked perfectly, another would do nothing but tick.  I now have 4 of these ESCs and I find that they all work fine with PPM receivers but will not work with PCM.  Even the one that did work under PCM now refuses to do so.  Very peculiar I say.  Has anyone else experienced such problems?

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Electronize ESC and PCM
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:39:19 am »

I've just had cause to look at the Electronize website for another reason, and I see that they specifically mention PWM for this speed controller. Now that means two thirds of naff all to me, except that Pulse Code Modulation and Pulse Width Modulation don't sound at all like each other (I'm old enough and cheap enough to recall analogue proportional radio sets, as opposed to the digital ones we all use now). Maybe these microprocessor jobbies are just incompatible with your PCM stuff - I bet Dave Mainprize @ Electronize could tell you.

Bring back the ZN409 chip, say I!!

FLJ  ;)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:17:31 pm »

hi,

If this is a small Futaba 3 channel mini receiver I think you may have a lot of problems driving Electronize FR30HX - the Futaba receiver 3 channel does not like this speed controller - it clicks and the clicking is No Signal.  About a year ago I had this problem and communicated extensively with Electronize to try and solve it.  Electronize are looking into this problem.   You will find the 3 channel receiver will drive the Electronize 15 amp 43HVR.

The way I managed around my problem was to go for a different receiver.  I went from 3 channel up to a 5 channel Futbaba (for all the winers)  ;D or even Futaba Receiver.

No doubt, on this forum, someone may come along and say they have never had any problems - and that will be right  ;D.

Hope this is of some help.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

classicdelights

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:35:42 pm »

Thank you John e, that is very helpful.  You are correct, I am using the Futaba 3 channel micro receiver, PCM1024 FP-R113ip.  I think you have solved the problem, pity Electronize were not aware of this, there is nothing in their documentation to say this is an issue with these controllers.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:15:30 pm »

hi there classic d

When I spoke to Electronize they were unaware of any problem regarding this micro receiver and their speed controller.  They did say they would look into this but I think someone else may have to jog their memory.   One of the experiments that I did was, to connect 2 Electronize speed controllers and one servo into the 3 channel.    One was the 'all singing' 30 amp electronize speed controller and the other was a 'kit built' 15 amp Electronize speed controller and it was a Futaba servo.           

The servo in the 15 amp speed controller worked perfectly well along with the servo.  However, as I have said, the 30 amp one just clicked.   That is how I came to speak with Electronize - they are very helpful and they do listen and will offer good advice.

aye
john
e
bluebird

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:25:25 am »

Hi there,

Just to bring an old topic to the fore - I am now in possession of a 'new - to -me' Micro Receiver made by Ripmax Ltd and its called CIRRUS - hey its a super small lightweight and narrow band 40mhz FM receiver 4 channel and it measures (just to give you some idea of the size) just under 1.5 inches long and it is slightly over 0.75 inches wide and it is 0.5 inches thick - the total cost of this receiver to me was £14 and it drives with no problems whatsoever, the Electronize 30 amp speed controllers which we have had problems with other Futaba, Ripmax receivers.  Very very impressed with it and also impressed at the way it drives the Electronize speed controller.

aye
John e
bluebird

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 10:34:20 am »

Hi John

I have been using these Cirrus Rxs for some time and have three of them in power and sailing boats. Excellent Rxs - very good range too - like you I am very impressed with them.  They are currently  reduced to £9-99 at Howes !

Don

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 11:25:44 am »

PWM is "pulse width modulation"  That means that control is achieved by switching on and off, the ratio of "on" and "off" determining the average power offered to the load.  As the ratio can be varied, that is where the "modulation" comes in.
PCM is "pulse code modulation" and can be any system where information is carried in pulses, which might be changes in the width, or any other form of coding.
I did read a while ago while looking at home-brew circuits for switchers etc, that one designer had a very elegant circuit (i.e. not many parts) that worked very well with nearly everybody's RXs bar one.  The RX passes information out to the servos, ESCs, switches etc as a series of coded pulses.  This is true for all makes.  Nearly all send either the full supply voltage (n) or ground (off).  The problem make only sent halt the supply voltage as the "on" signal, which was OK with most things that plugged into it, but not all.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

ianb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 06:17:19 am »

I use the FR15 ESC's and they work just fine with either PPM or PCM (SPCM). My transmitter is selectable for either type depending on the receiver installed in the model.

I'm using JR R/C equipment only as it seems to be reckoned the most reliable, bullet proof and versatile here in Japan, although Futaba is rated as second best.

So far, absolutely  no compatibility problems with any other connected electronic equipment obtained from manufacturers in Britain, but I always keep my fingers crossed at the first power-up!

Hope I haven't muddied any waters.

Ian

BarryB

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:02:27 pm »

In my experience, certain receivers have a low amplitude pulse output and cannot drive some speed controlllers.

This is usually solved by having a more sensitive unit between the Receiver & the ESC, Such as a mixer or servo control unit.

I came across the problem when I first made ESCs and now use only certain PIC chips in my control projects.  I have designed measuring units to display the problem on an LCD display.

#828S on my webpage
http://www.kleefeld.freeserve.co.uk/model/barry/pic01/rc_test.htm

Note the picture which shows a full 5.0v output from my mixer unit.
http://www.kleefeld.freeserve.co.uk/model/barry/pic01/images/rc828s2.jpg

Barry

captain cook

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:50:07 pm »

Well, most  of  the  guys  here  in  Cork  use  Electronize  ESC  in  their  models,  NO  PROBLEM,  I  have  8  Electronize  ESC  and  I've  had  trouble  with  4,  they  all  still  work  BUT  4  sometimes  work  sometimes  they  don't,  I  DON'T  KNOW  ANYTHING  ABOUT  ELECTRONICS  BUT  to  me  they  seem  to  be  sticking  ( either  not  working  at  all  or  only  in  one  direction )  on  calling  Electronize  on  2  occasions  they  say  its  my  Battery,  BUT  4  are  perfect  and  the  other  4  sometimes  don't  work  and  sometimes  only  work  in  one  direction.  I  have  bought  a  brand  new  12v  battery,  I  have  swapped  radios,  changed  ESC  around  in  my  different  models  and  everything  else  seems  fine  BUT  the  problem  remains.  Can  anybody  shed  some  light.  I  am  using  in  ALL  my  models  12v  golf  trolley  batteries,  MOCAD  golf  trolley  motors ( so  are  most  of  our  club - no  problems ),  does  anybody  have  any  suggestions.  Thanks  Melville

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:18:41 pm »

Seriously change to Action the electronise are a load of Pooh Pooh.I can prove it I have had the same problem as you have had and If you phone the arrogant so and so he will tell you nothing wrong with my esc's it's your batts etc and if you contradict him you get verbal OFFENSIVE ABUSE.You lot out there don't believe me then pm FLJ and ask him what was said to his Aussie M8 Fact.
Fact I used a brand new 30amp electronise on a springer fitted with a Graupener speed 500 what happened if F*****************P yet again ask FLJ he was there.They are not worth the money

I have another 3 on the bench with the same problem wont engage reverse let alone slow down ........UTTER GARBAGE

This is not a slanderous posting but fact and in my opinion the product has one place the bin this is my personal opinion and I am entitled to

Stavros

Martin13

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:13:43 am »

Those are strong words Stavros - but I will take your advice. I have heard many opinions about Electronise ESC's good and bad, but mainly bad. I'm currently on the market for ESC's and do not wish to pay out large sums of money for a unit that may NOT work correctly.
If you have troubles in the UK talking to the gent - I hate to think what it would be like down here >>:-(

I have been in touch with FLJ and has provided several setups for 2 of my models with no obligation to buy as well as other contacts for ESC's and motors - the man is a REAL Gentleman. O0 O0

Currently investigating my options here in Oz including, if and where I can have them repaired should they go Bang.

What do you think of Mtroniks ESC's ???

Martin down under

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:04:35 am »

In general they are fine, but they are non-serviceable and one or two have had problems with internal shorting.
As mine did.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

offshore1987

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 01:19:04 am »

Mine set fire too  >>:-(

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.