Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Bryan's 'Modellers Draught' 45ft Admirals Barge build.  (Read 81967 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bryan's “Modellers Draught”. 45ft Admirals Barge build.
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2012, 06:58:31 pm »

Ah!, Ian. Why didn't you tell me all this stuff before I started?
Possibly a rhetorical question, I suppose.
But as the man said....."I didn't get to where I am today by......", and I forget the rest of it....fill in for yourself.
I suppose Ihave made the whole thing more difficult than it could have been. But I'm a bit detached from modern ideas...although willing to learn. Too late in this instance.
Why don't you explain (chapter and verse) just how you would make a structure over 15" long, 6" wide, 2.5" deep that curves in all dimensions? That query is definetly not a criticism!
I can (in retrospect) see some advantages in carving the entire unit out of a block of some sort of "foam".....but then what? I need thin walls to let the scuttles actually look like scuttles. I need some sort of strength to hold the funnel, funnel stays, cowl vents and all sorts of other stuff. At the moment, the structure (nearly complete) weighs only a few ounces. I'm really not sure how I would go about using your suggestions.
Then you mention the stuff of my nightmares. These blasted Dolphins.
Off and on, I've tried (dismally) to carve one to my satisfaction. Tried modellers clay....but that went rock solid in about 20 minutes after I opened the packaging. Where would I get some of this hard wax you mention? I'm struggling now. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2012, 07:18:49 pm »

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8904.msg86588#msg86588

Ihave made the whole thing more difficult than it could have been. But I'm a bit detached from modern ideas...although willing to learn. Too late in this instance.
Why don't you explain (chapter and verse) just how you would make a structure over 15" long, 6" wide, 2.5" deep that curves in all dimensions? That query is definetly not a criticism!
I can (in retrospect) see some advantages in carving the entire unit out of a block of some sort of "foam".....but then what? I need thin walls to let the scuttles actually look like .
[/quote]
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2012, 09:04:35 pm »

Thanks John.
Sort of missed out on the facts that I didn't really know what I was doing....but still time to learn, I suppose.
But, as my late father and all his brothers used to say....." Only fools and bairns can talk about a job half done."

Stavros

« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2012, 11:02:30 pm »

Brian make an Ebay search for Beeswax or even Better still get in contact with younger at 70 on here he keeps Bees or do you know any beekeepers in your area

Dave

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2012, 06:07:18 pm »

Just re-read the colour schemes for this thing…..oops. The “hide” seat coverings were apparently dyed “blue”. Actually, I like the idea as it gives a bit of a contrast to the swathes of wood veneer.
It’s been awhile since my last update, but such trivialities such as Donner und Blitzen and Monsoon type rains (plus neighbours being flooded) have all conspired against me.
Would you believe that a Council as large as N.Tyneside has only 2 “Drain-Suckers” to clear drains of leaves etc? Reportedly, they only respond when the number of complaints reaches 20. The mind boggles. A few weeks ago it was Monkseaton that got inundated, and yesterday it was the turn of Cullercoats. Both within a mile of me but in opposing directions. Then last Sunday the 5Bridges Festival was washed out just before we were due to go to Newcastle to retrieve our models. There was absolutely no way on earth that a car could get to Newcastle ….so a phone call from Brian C was probably the most welcome call I can remember. “Pick the models up on Monday morning”. Great sigh of relief.
Anyway. Back to the Engine casing for the Barge.
It quickly became apparent that the aluminium mesh on its own wasn’t going to be rigid enough so small lengths of 1/32” ply were added and roughed down. Drawing the templates (on cooking parchment) made the final, top, layer of plasticard fit reasonably well. Some filling needed, but not much. Then came the “rivetting”. A doddle with 2 eyes, but a slow process with only one able to focus. Still, all got done eventually.
Made a lovely “boo-boo” this afternoon though. Half way through pinning the raised centre plate I realised that I’d forgotten to remove the backing paper from the D/S tape. Calamity! 2 hours later and much use of the vernacular English all was sorted. But still a long way to go.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2012, 02:02:06 pm »

Hi brian,if you find the colour you want(eg.allegro brown) let me know what car & year it is from and i will get you a colour code and all you have to do then is go to halfords and they will mix it for you.Also this is a nice colour scheme

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »

Baloo.... what a kind thought.
So much "stuff" going on in my head at the moment that I keep forgetting that I will (eventually) have to address the various problems that the hull will throw at me. Silly stuff like the curved corners of the wood rain barriers on the cabin roof. The making and fitting of the rubbing strake around the stern....little things like that that cause sleepless nights.
You may have noticed that (on my last pic) there's no "angle bar" fitted to the E/Rm structure. That will have to wait until I get around to actually fitting the deck on to the hull. As I said some time ago, I'm building this thing "upside downwards".
Love the pic you posted though.....what scale is it? Cheers. Bryan.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2012, 07:29:06 pm »

Brian,it is 1/12 scale,and the flag on the front has got the logo of h.m.s.tiger(ww1) & and underneath is my surname(not admiral beaty name)my friend does any flag to your suit your needs,he DOES NOT print them,every single flag he does is free-hand.martin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2012, 06:37:45 pm »

What with one thing and another, “things have slowed down a bit. The “other” being my wife breaking her foot (now in a “moonboot”) and me getting another gout attack. She with her right foot encased and me hobbling on a duff left foot. Couldn’t help but think of Henry and Min from the old Goon Shows.
However, some progress has been made.
In the pic, the “deck” is still unattached…hence the all round gap. At the front end there’s a hatch, but on either side of it is a channel moulding to accept the sliding struts of the yet to be fitted bowmans seat. Then the pair of hatches leading to the engine room and boiler room. A bit of “common dog” tells me that these hatches would have to be openable from both sides….otherwise some idiot would at one stage or another lock the poor E/R crew in. Construction of these was straightforward if fiddly. All plasticard taped to a balsa base. Hinges fabricated from small dia plastic tubing.
Still working on the main skylight. Almost done with the exception of the brass bars that go across the “glass”, and some sort of dogging down arrangement…plus the vertical “stanchion” that lets the skylight sides stay upright when opened.
Still not too sure how to fasten the funnel to the deck and still be removeable.
The boathooks are 7” long. The hook ends are of very shiny brass that doesn’t show up in the pic. The maker of the end bits will appear in my “thank you” list when the model is completed…..as will everyone who for one reason or another has helped me with this build.
The crutches for the boathooks are bent litho-plate (the “thick” variety) pinned through a plasticard doubling plate. But nothing is yet “fixed”, and so the entire unit is as yet unpainted. Still a long way to go. Hope I live long enough to see it all finished!
What I really must get around to doing is work on the hull. I’ve yet to work out a way of doing that whilst seated….and with a good light source. I was hoping the sun might help, but as it has been on leave of absence for most of this year, it’s been a bit of a non-starter.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2012, 05:46:28 pm »

Now back up to £420 (Epoxy, paint, timber, plasticard and putty.
I’ll come on to the “putty” in a minute.
But now I’m back to the age old problem of making cowl ventilators. Fortunately the ones I made for the Tyne Ferry Northumbrian are perfect for the barge…although will be much shorter. So using the wooden plug I’d already made for the ferry came in handy. My small, home-made vac forming machine is useless for things of this size, so I passed the plug halves on to Jim Lane (Display Models of Blyth) to use on his high powered machine. I only wanted 4 halves (to make up into 2 vents) but he’s given me enough halves to make 6 of the things….on the grounds that as I was paying for the sheet of 60thou (about 1.5mm) plasticard he may as well use it.
In the past I’ve always had trouble disguising the 2 vertical seams joining the 2 halves together. This time around I wondered if a “mild” sort of body filler might work…but on visiting my favourite model shop I was introduced to “modellers putty”. Probably “old hat” to some of you but new to me. Comes in 2 colours – White and Green – but are the same stuff. Made by a Texas outfit called “Squadron Products” and cost me £4.60 for a tube about the size of a smallish toothpaste tube. The label boasts “fast drying”….a misnomer. For “rapid” read “almost instantaneous”. Takes to plasticard like a duck to water and rubs down very nicely. Pongs a bit though.
The pic simply shows the evolution of the halves from plug to raw fitting of the halves.
The next stage is the filling and rubbing down, fitting the semi-circular (cross section) cowl boundary strip, cutting out the cowl opening and taking about 3” off the shaft length.
The vents on this type of boat were of polished brass, and “brass metallic paint” just isn’t good enough. But I’ve been told of a fairly local company that plates “plastic” items in either gold, silver or brass (or chrome). So that’s the intended way forward at the moment. Apparently the method used is to spray coat the plastic with nickel and then apply the brass layer. The same company (or so I’m told) chrome plates the surrounds for many car headlamps and so on….and brass plating for some domestic lamp standards.
In for a penny,..in for a pound.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2012, 06:50:35 pm »

Hi brian,as for your vent cowls i used a "egg tray" from the fridge and used a peice of tubeing.If you look on the disc  i sent you photo`s 29&30 you will see what i mean.Once i made them a friend(who does the flags)said try martin at MACS MOULDINGS as he does big scale items,bit late when i made them,anyway i see it`s coming along fine so keep up the good work and dont tread on the wifes toes(get well soon mrs brian) martin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2012, 07:59:30 pm »

Sorry old son.....what disc? Nothing received at this end I'm affraid.
But the main reason that I made my wood plug the way I did was to avoid the final look of a hemisphere on a stick with all sharp edges and stuff. Some....very few (and more modern ones) do have sharp edges between the shaft and the cowl. But older ones were always faired in with nice curves. That's the sort I want to replicate.
Ta for the reply. Regards. Bryan.

Stavros

« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »

AH ha Another Gout sufferer I can fully sympathise with you Horrible it is,NO one can relate to the amount of PAIN this can cause and render one usless and SO SO frustrated adn one can not do a thing without it hurting

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2012, 03:54:02 pm »

Kidney Stones

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2012, 04:16:46 pm »

Not much difference Dave, you are crippled either way. Try driving a standard car & operating the clutch when the gout is @ its worst. Mick B.
Mick B.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »

Just a "quickie" to say that I'm not quite dead yet and here is the latest development.
The "mounted" pic shows the wood surround untrimmed and bereft of any stain or lacquer that I may later apply.
Slowly, but surely, this thing is coming together. It's now 6 months and 2 days since I began this project with building the "plug" for the hull mould. Seems like an eternity, but it surely has kept the remaining brain cells working. I refuse to even contemplate how much more work needs to be done. But once the 2nd Dolphin is in placeand the woodwork tidied up a bit, I think I'll see if I can finish off the cabin roof. (May need a few words of wisdom from you lot on a bit of that). BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2012, 06:47:18 pm »

Oops, Sorry.
Moderator please remove one of those pics....
Meant to post this one.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2012, 07:29:49 pm »

Those dolphins look fantastic Bryan!  :-))

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2012, 08:30:48 pm »

Hi Bryan it is coming along very well - I don't know whethere I have missed something in the text but can't find any reference as to how you made or acquired
the dolphins.??

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2012, 08:47:10 pm »

I wanted to say that.

Nice to see your latest report Brian. Keep going.   I was beginning to miss you.   8)

I've removed your duplicate picture. As you've noticed, the site is still on tender hooks.

regards

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2012, 09:28:50 pm »

Geoff (and others)....no, you haven't missed anything.
All will be revealed in the fullness of time.
Just put it this way. Some things are way beyond my skill level. Bryan.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2012, 09:44:59 pm »

well made and not "cheap"

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2012, 12:41:17 am »

I am dying to know about the Dolphins - saw some today just off Valetta

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2012, 10:16:15 am »

I am dying to know about the Dolphins - saw some today just off Valetta
I'll tell you something........
These "Dolphins", although pretty good miniatures of the ones on the real barge, bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to anything found in any Ocean. They really appear to have come from the same twisted minds that breamed up all the mythical beasts that drew up the very early Admiralty Charts. But none the worse for that, I feel.
Cost? Well, put it this way.

Making the hard wax master, the mould and the 2 solid brass finished items was less than £40. Not "cheap"....but not expensive either. Bryan.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2012, 10:59:28 pm »

Ignore all this stuff about masters and moulds. What Bryan is glossing over is the time he spent in his shed with a Junior Mad Scientist Kit, some chemicals sourced from a Mr Frank N Stein and two goldfish formerly the property of his grandchildren.   :kiss:

Barry M
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.