Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Bryan's 'Modellers Draught' 45ft Admirals Barge build.  (Read 81954 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bryan's “Modellers Draught”. 45ft Admirals Barge build.
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2012, 11:16:48 pm »

[ author=Bryan Young link=topic=36231.msg394245#msg394245 date=1347354975]
twisted minds that breamed up
[/quote]

Now is that a clever fish pun Bryan or a typo ? Works for me either way  :-))

Kim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2012, 02:26:48 am »

I'll tell you something........

Making the hard wax master, the mould and the 2 solid brass finished items was less than £40. Not "cheap"....but not expensive either. Bryan.

£40.00 sounds good to me ! ... are you sure that included making the masters?  Really? Blimey, I think the local Art sudents hear are at it ! With there Rennie MacKintosh chat .... Blah Blah...

Seriously good work Bryan !
Regards
Kim

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2012, 11:15:27 am »

Dear all (again).
Back to the Haddocks (as BarryM insists on calling them).
OK...nitty gritty time. The total cost to me was £35 for the pair. This was for the "master" and mould and the finished (polished) end results.
I've talked to the guy who made them and he'd be happy to make and sell more of them for £25 per pair plus p&p...now that I've paid for his time, the master and the mould.
They are only for a 1:12 scale model....which makes each one 2" tall. I suppose some bright spark could dream up another use for them. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:24 am »

twisted minds that breamed up

Now is that a clever fish pun Bryan or a typo ? Works for me either way  :-))

(Sorted out the double quote ...ken )

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2012, 11:46:18 am »

Ignore all this stuff about masters and moulds. What Bryan is glossing over is the time he spent in his shed with a Junior Mad Scientist Kit, some chemicals sourced from a Mr Frank N Stein and two goldfish formerly the property of his grandchildren.   :kiss:

Barry M
Actually Barry, you may well have hit on something here!
I wonder if a couple of goldfish of the right size could be frozen into the correct posture and cast into brass for all eternity.
If I didn't already have the things already I may have tried your idea (if I'd thought of it!)
Regards. Bryan.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:03 pm »

I have seen some earings similar to that somewhere.  Will post back if I find them online
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2012, 06:20:39 pm »

I left you at £420.
Add £35 for the Dolphins.
£10 for new paint brushes, timber and plasticard strip (thick stuff) and £1 (and a bit) for nylon fastenings (as used to attach aircraft wings) to fasten my funnel in place.
The latest development is that I took delivery of my single ball brass stanchions. (James Lane again).
They cost me £24 for 30 of them. That’s pretty reasonable considering that I told him that I wanted all of them to be 2” long. The reason for that was because there are about 5 different lengths required, ranging from half an inch to just under 2”.
Now that I had the stanchions I could go out and buy some lengths of suitable brass tubing ….so add another £12. So as near as makes no difference the cost is now just on £500. (call it an outlay of around £50 per month over the 6 month building period).
It’s all these “little incidentals” that rack up the outlay.
As you will see in the enclosed pic, the stanchions have a small but intrusive “flat” on the top of the ball. This worried me a little at first, but only a couple of minutes with a bit of worn “wet’n’dry” and a finishing rub down with a sheet of “Flexigrit” solved that little problem.
Next time will be the fitting of the stanchions to the cabin roof.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2012, 10:59:24 am »

Hi Bryan, could you give some more details of the aircraft bits you are using to secure the funnel please. I am also building a Picket Boat but not the Admiral's Barge version. Mine is steam powered and I want to be able to put an easily removable outer painted funnel over the outside of the real funnel just for appearance sake. I will paint it and add a brass ring to the top but I will need to be able to take it off easily when I want to remove the boiler room cowl. I was keen to fit a whistle up the front of the funnel too but have not yet thought of a way to make that removable so the latest idea is to have it permanrently fixed just in front of the boiler with just the top section coming up through a hole in the cowl just ahead of the funnel. Love the dolphins, almost tempted to put some on mine even though the hull shape is not right for the Admirals version. Cheers, Ian.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »

Ian, thanks for your message.
Alas, if you were thinking of a fastener for the “false” outer skin of your funnel then my method/fittings wouldn’t do the job for you. The only reason I used the nylon bolt thing was to save weight. The only way I could fit the bolt was to cut a ½” thick bit of balsa to a diameter that is a snug fit into the base of the funnel…with a ¼” hole through the centre. The pronged captive nut pulls into the balsa when the bolt is offered up. This effectively blocks the funnel base. Na good for you as you’ll want an open flue. All I can think of that might work for you I (perhaps) a pair of “pins” going through both the false and real funnel. Pull out the pins to remove the false one.
Re the “whistle. I too have been pondering this. But from a different aspect.  My book on the subject has numerous photos, but I’ve yet to find one that shows that a whistle was actually fitted. One photo shows what could be a hand powered “siren” sort of thing. (Fitted to the cabin roof  just behind the coxwain. Odd, but the RN was always a bit odd.
Thanks for the comment about the dolphins. They really are better than I could have imagined.
If you think that any pics I have could be of interest to you then I could easily scan/send some. They all come from Stapletons book on Steam Picket boats.
Regards. Bryan.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2012, 07:35:15 pm »

A really nice build Bryan - I must have missed to two dolphins when you put up the photo - a real work of art.

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2012, 09:59:22 pm »

Just been fooling about with the Smeeds plan for the 40Ft Royal Barge from Britannia and guess what, two of the ugly little s*ds are on that as well.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2012, 11:30:51 am »

Thanks for the offer Bryan but I have the Stapleton book off ABE books and also some photos of a restored boat which from memory is at South Hampton and also of a model built by a member of the forum. Both lots of photos were very generously mailed to me at no cost by said member. I had mine steamed up on the bench thhis morning but have yet to complete the deck and superstructure. I agree that it is probable that the real thing did not have a whistle but I am going to fit one anyway, they are a lot of fun especially when you have kids standing right on the edge of the lake and you can blow the whistle as you steam past! Cheers, Ian.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2012, 03:51:33 pm »

Cheers for the update!
Another thing that's been bugging me is the lack of an anchor..or indeed any reference to the boats having one.
With even the 45ft boat weighing in at around 15 tons, I can't imagine that the crew just used a bit of string attached to a brick.
All very strange! BY.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2012, 06:48:52 pm »

Brian if you contact peter hollins(will pm his number) he is part of a consortium that has steam picket boat 199 at portsmouth historic dockyard,and he can tell you weather the boat had an anchor !!.
Martin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2012, 09:18:11 pm »

Brian if you contact peter hollins(will pm his number) he is part of a consortium that has steam picket boat 199 at portsmouth historic dockyard,and he can tell you weather the boat had an anchor !!.
Martin
Thanks for that.
In one of your earlier posts (PMs?) you mentioned how to get a paint of the "Blue/Black colour. I've "mislaid" that message.
Could you please repeat it? Cheers. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2012, 04:35:45 pm »

The stanchions themselves were easy enough to cut and fit into fairly tight fitting holes, but cutting the 3/16” long (mock) sockets was a bit fiddly….a simple bent wire served as a jig to keep the things at the same height. Mounting “plates” are brass washers. I originally left them as polished brass but that gave the entire roof a “footballers WAG sort of look. Too “bling” for my taste so I painted them to match the deck covering. Much nicer. The 2 forward corner stanchions had to be given a 3rd hole (drilled half way through the ball). Not having a set of springs small enough to bend the 1/16” tube a cheap alternative was to superglue a length of wire into the area to be curved (to the dia of a Humbrol tinlet)This also had the advantage of filling the hole in the end of the tube. 
The “spurnwater” at the after end of the roof gave some pause for thought, so I decided to experiment with a strip of 1/16” x 1/8” plasticard…the curves being formed around the same tinlet. The “colour” is given by 4 coats of Ronseal “Walnut” wood varnish, and then the completed item was carefully drilled in a few places and fixed to the roof with short lengths of brass wire.
The lifebuoy is made from a wooden ring as used in Macrame work. Flats sanded on the upper and lower faces, the 4 bands are short lengths of heavy-duty “duck tape”. No attached lifeline is fitted as the buoy is primarily decorative. I’m hoping to be able to use the buoy as a switch for the cabin interior LED lighting, but I haven’t quite worked that one out.
Lots of progress on the engine/boileroom casing. Next time.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2012, 02:49:17 pm »

But I soon realised that I had a bit more work to do on the cabin roof…..the Nameboard.
This is where I break away from the “truth”
When I first joined the RFA in 1966 from Cable & Wireless, my first appointment was as 3rd Officer on the almost brand new RFA “Resource”. Over the next almost 30 years she (and her sister “Regent”) became a regular appointment in various ranks.
During 1993/4 I was again appointed to “Resource”. This time she was employed as a fully loaded  armament/stores ship in Split (Croatia). She was also kept at 24 hours notice for sailing. Quite a workout for the Engineers, being a large steam turbine ship.
But this was to be our final farewell. I took early retirement, and she went off to Alang to be broken up. So this Admirals Barge is just as a sort of memory to her.
The photo is of Regent….but apart from the fact that the aftermost rig  (specifically for transfer of “Sea Slug” missiles)is the opposite way round to that on Resource there’s no real difference between the ships. Why the opposite way round?  Easy, so the 2 ships could transfer between themselves.

The 2 pics of the cabin roof show it as a finished unit.
The buoy chocks were easier to make than I expected. Mainly done with the “assistance” of both sizes of cylindrical sanding gizmos in the mini-drill. Marking their location etc was a bit of a trial though. Finished up by taping a bit of paper to the painted roof and drawing the arrangement then pinning the chocks so the fastening holes would be more or less correct.
The nameboard was again relatively straightforward. Find a font that looks suitable, print it out (to a large size) in “negative” format, and scale the final size to suit using the printers scaling capacity. Sandwich the 2 names between 2 bits of 30thou acetate and build up the wood framing with 1mm veneer. Varnish and job done.
     And so, after months of work, the cabin section is now complete (with the exception of the lighting and hanging of the curtains. All now and again enjoyable, more usually a complete pain in the tripes..
Now to concentrate on finishing the Engine/Boileroom casing

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2012, 05:16:19 pm »

July to November 1995 on the resource in Split for me, a great time was had by all despite the odd occasion of walking into a bar that was definitely in use by the 'enemy'!
Oh and I recall weekends when the war 'stopped' and they all came home to recover, along with their tanks and light weapons which were regularly discharged in the street to celebrate!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2012, 07:16:50 pm »

July to November 1995 on the resource in Split for me, a great time was had by all despite the odd occasion of walking into a bar that was definitely in use by the 'enemy'!
Oh and I recall weekends when the war 'stopped' and they all came home to recover, along with their tanks and light weapons which were regularly discharged in the street to celebrate!
I'd guess that wasn't long before she came home again?
It was a bit different during '93. My diary of events was posted here a couple of years ago. Cheers. BY.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2012, 06:07:11 pm »

Sent pm to you brian.baloo

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »

Thanks Martin, all received. Now I just have to digest it! Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »

Moving from one aspect (unit) to another is a welcome relief….a bit like moving on to another model, which in a way, it is.
The last pic of the casing was a bit of a lash-up just to show the positions of the main bits. It’s all progressed a bit since then.
I daren’t show a pic of the interior of this structure. Suffice it to say that it looks like the inside of the mouth of a giant metal Venus Fly Trap. The deck is now permanently fitted (screwed and glued) and faired in as well as I can manage. Two coats of white primer followed by 2 coats of “Appliance White”. Seems OK.
Being an impatient soul, Next to be fitted were the stanchions and rails. Although the stanchions are 1” tall, they still proved pretty fiddly to fit properly.
Next came the bowmans seat, with some sort of representation of the folding mechanism. The seat does take away some of the “blandness” of the forward end. Similarly at the back end….There’s a sort of cage structure to which (eventually) the compass will be fitted. Another set of things that have to be made and fitted are the “hold-back” stanchions that enable small hatches to be locked in the “open” position. These things come in many guises, but the simplest (non-automatic) system is a simple peg through an eye. The “auto” version (which really should be fitted here) involves spring loading….a task I’m unable to carry out.
Towards the forward end of the casing are 4 brackets that are small versions of the boathook brackets. I’ve got a sneaky feeling that they may be for rifle stowage. But I could be wrong. In fact, I hope I am wrong as 4 3ft long rifles (3” at this scale) may be difficult to find, and I’m certainly not going to even consider making them!
Items remaining….well, the attachment of the funnel stays for one. Some photos show bottle screws, others show cord lashings. I think I’ll go for the cord.
    The 2 cowl vents shown here are just dummies to show me the positioning. These rough things only took me a half-hour or so to knock up and coat with “brass” paint. …the “real” ones are of a much higher standard (not difficult when compared to the things shown here!).I must get organised and get the real ones plated. At least 2 trips through the Tyne tunnel at £1.40 each way. More extortion.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2012, 10:29:05 pm »

Bryan I am very impressed by the engine room casing with most of its fittings  in place - it has gone from a unit with very awkward rounded corners
to a seriously smart part of the boat - if the rest looks as good as that it is going to be a great model

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »

Well, the time had to come eventually for me to up sticks and leave my warm little room for the garage. I’ve been putting off work on the hull until I ran out of excuses
Spent the best part of a day rubbing down the hull and giving it 2 coats of white primer. Next day rub down again and have an “enjoyable” couple of hours marking off the waterline. My goodness, hasn’t the price of Tamiya masking tape rocketed up!
Now up to  £507.
Sorry about this Martin (Balloo), but a brief hunt around locally failed to find a specialised paint mixer willing to mix up such a complicated looking recipe in the quantity I need without being extortionate. So I decided to try the can of Halfords “Citroen “Admiral Blue”. If it didn’t work then I could always rub it down again. I must admit to some misgivings after the first coat was applied (too pale), but after 3 coats it settled down into a rather nice “blue-black”. I’ll eventually have to rub it down again for the final coats, but that won’t be until I’ve done a few more things to the hull.
     Today was nervously (but happily) spent cutting out the apertures for the Engine casing and cabin. I think successfully. I half expected the cabin structure to sit a bit high within the hull….and so I wasn’t all that upset when such proved to be the case.  But I still expect some problems to arise when I get round to fitting the prop shaft. Another reason why I decided to make and fit the cabin before fitting the shaft.
And all this even after following the plans more religiously than I usually do!
Looking at the deck (before planking) it’s quite clear that the area of maximum camber is largely taken up by the engine casing and at least the forward part of the cabin. So rather than fit another false deck I’ve decided to use different thicknesses of planking glued directly on to the deck you see in the pics. Then sand them down to shape. Might take longer, but it should save some precious weight.But the next task is to brace the deck and consider the making of the forward bulwarks. BY.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2012, 07:17:38 pm »

Brian,are you going to make a 3pdr hotchkiss gun as well lol.Martin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 22 queries.