Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Spearfish requirements...  (Read 38407 times)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Spearfish requirements...
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2012, 10:46:44 am »

the helm is offset to the port , while the door into the forward cabin is from the centre line towards starboard side , the floor should drop down towards the bulkhead and at the aft end of the cockpit . just like the fantome mfa made a few errors when they made the moulds !

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:39 am »

I'm working on those three marvellous words "Stand off Scale"....along with the few extra words that go with them. (the further off you stand, the more scale it may look....)
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2012, 01:22:03 pm »

The "pass me my brown trousers" moment went fairly well....

Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2012, 08:31:59 am »

i trust your now going to finish the model , having removed it from the sales page ?

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2012, 08:38:44 am »

Yes mate, my adopted daughter gave me a right rollocking last night for even thinking of selling it....so it's back on the slipway and I'm going to do some more to the deck access today.
Rich

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2012, 09:33:41 am »

Yes mate, my adopted daughter gave me a right rollocking last night for even thinking of selling it....so it's back on the slipway and I'm going to do some more to the deck access today.

You have that problem as well
I sold a few locos a while back and then the wife says as I was packing them up to post.... Oh I liked that one
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:59 am »

Aah, she's lovely really...but she just did tear me off a strip when she discovered that the boat was up for sale.

I don't have the wife problem any longer, but adopted daughter seems to have taken over....
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:35 pm »

Have you looked on the owners site recently ? the photo of the boat in chichester has now been identified as hull 30 grey lady , ex northern ireland police spear , build date 1973 , retired from service in 2003  .

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2012, 03:06:43 pm »

I confess I haven't looked recently Jon, had a bad couple of days, but today I begin to feel a bit better. Haven't done much to the boat, I did enlarge the rear access hatch quite a fair bit, and I've just ordered a sheet of styrene to make the rear removable deck section from, so by the time that arrives I should be back in the land of the healthy again. Or as near as it gets...  ;D

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »

must be a bug doing the rounds , ive also been a little rough for the last few days . ive only run my h31 to test its performance on a lipo , which im not happy with , so looks like its going to be remotored with some brushless units & twin escs , hopefully it will improve the performance . last time out it looked like it was only on half speed ! !

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2012, 05:11:58 pm »

Mine's a bit more than a bug, mate...a lot more.

Just had confirmation that the styrene for the rear floor is on it's way, which is good. I think I'll have more than enough power with that motor on 12volts, I've never seen a boat try and escape from the bath so quickly before when I hit full throttle! Once I can get the floor done then it'll be time to glue the top deck to the bottom hull...then it'll be water test time!

Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:32 pm »

ive seen you other thread and made a sugestion . as a thought have a look at the photos on per hansons album at  MISS DAISEY , races under the number 747 . she started out her life as an mod spec spear , which was converted to spearfish a few years ago !

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »

Thanks Jon...I've noticed that some Spearfish kits came with a removable top deck and some didn't. Mine, of course....didn't.

Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2012, 08:28:04 am »

not hving built one from a kit i didnt know how the deck / cabin starts . although mine arrived  s/h from the bay with a cabin , i ditched the cabin as i prefer to build with an integral cabin . my cabin is completely scratch built using a mixture of ply and balsa wood . its probably quite a bit heavier than the standard kit built spearfish , but its fitted out with a full set of navigation , search and a blue flashing working lights , all of my fittings have been custom made in either brass or stainless steel , jon

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2012, 08:53:42 am »

It's a shame that MFA didn't mould them all with a sensible top section, like the Fantome is. The internal access in that boat is amazing, virtually the whole of the boat's interior is open.

I think I've worked out how I'm going to do mine...once today's decorating is done with, I can sit down and concentrate on it. But first...the kitchen walls are calling! 

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2012, 01:10:47 pm »

its a pity they didnt mound the fantome in the same scale as the spearfish too ! it would however be good if they corrected the moulds , the cockpit is too small and the cockpit windscreen mounding too large on the fantome . even the spearfish moulding  you have there hasnt got the drop down at each end of the open cockpit floor . your welcome to the kitchen walls , think ill continue rebuilding my model which capsized last wednesday evening !

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2012, 03:45:47 pm »

Well, the decorating rumbles on, Jon...nearly finished the kitchen, but daughter's own home life seems to get in the way. I must speak severely to her....  ;D

The sheet of styrene arrived for the floor (oh why didn't buy two of them?) but it's not big enough, so I've had to order another sheet, which means waiting until Tuesday (ish) for it to arrive. So, I've cut out the windscreen...hmm, that fits only where it touches. I can see a whole new screen being built here with a surrounding framework.

Oh well...it's Sunday tomorrow, and the MotoGP is on tv.

Would that be your yacht which capsized? I trust all is ok?

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »

yes it was my yacht which capsized , shouldnt have launched it , the waves on canoe lake were around ten inches high , the model got a couple of feet out from the side of the lake & promptly blew over on its side , no amount of rudder would bring it around into the following wind , after around five mins it found a small hole in one of its hatches and sank stern first ! thankfully the rudder got stuck on a silt bank 28 1/2 " below the surface , which kept the first 3-4 " of bow above the surface along with the top 6" of mast . the boat was recovered after around four hours . the only loss has been the 6 v rx battery pack , the switch harness , an S hook which keeps the jib sail to the mast and the rudder blade has bent ! ! i shall be making a new rudder this evening , the boat will be good to sail again . The windscreen of my huntsman ive made a brass frame which holds the glazing in place , with the supports that run down both the inner & outeer sides of the cockpit .

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2012, 06:11:10 pm »

It's a shame that MFA didn't mould them all with a sensible top section, like the Fantome is. The internal access in that boat is amazing, virtually the whole of the boat's interior is open.

It seems some of their later offerings  have plenty of access, I could almost fit a Seaport tug in here -

HawkEye
I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2012, 08:19:07 pm »

theres a full size tracker moored up on the thames , somebody posted the photos on he fairey owners fb page a while back ! 

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2012, 08:46:49 pm »

theres a full size tracker moored up on the thames , somebody posted the photos on he fairey owners fb page a while back ! 

Queenborough on the Thames Estuary ( ex customs ) ? - i've met the owner of that one  :-)), some of them got sold to the Maldives  <:(

Sorry for highjacking the thread - back to the Spearfish !

HawkEye

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2012, 09:09:02 pm »

No need for apologies, Hawkeye old fella, Jon and I often wander off topic here, so feel free to join in with anything Fairey related. (He loves the Spear, by the way...as you'll have noticed!)
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2012, 10:05:13 pm »

i think alot of faireys went to the maldives , used to be a photo on the owners site  showing a good dozen in a harbour !  my first model boat was a huntsman 31 ( the big one with a 10 cc glow motor ) my current 31 is the smaller one , depicted as it was when owned by a garage proprietor from bristol ( i used to repair sales cars in the shed the boat was housed in ! ) chasser de mer . i chose to model the spear ( enclosed wheelhouse ) as most people model the spearfish ( open cockpit ) im also planning a 1/12th scale huntress , in full mod spec . i prefer my models to be a little different ! jon

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2012, 10:45:17 pm »

Ah ! a fellow Fairey fan !, I've just acquired a President 34" Huntsman kit ( glass hull ) that I intend to try and model  around 100% proof.

Including as much interior detail as I can feasibly fit in, I'm undecided as to single or twin prop at the moment ( brushless ) due to space restrictions, also chrome fittings are like hen's teeth.

It will be a winter project so plenty of time to gather parts  :-))

HawkEye

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2012, 12:42:20 pm »

yes a fellow fairey fan ! my 31 is based on the grp hull , currently on twin brushed 777 motors , these will however be changed for brushless as performance isnt as good as i wanted ! most of those fittings on 100% proof are stainless steel , ie all of those hand rails and the "hoop" that the radar is mounted on . our local shop sells nitrosa stainless in metre lengths , which can be silver soldered together . 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.