Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Spearfish requirements...  (Read 38403 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Re: Spearfish requirements...
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 08:46:01 am »

Thanks mate...yep, a very very lucky boy am I!

I will change the shaft, I have a stack of M4 props ready to play with. I'll do a photo build of it when it arrives, fear not....

Thanks for the help so far, mate...much appreciated.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 08:43:27 pm »

help isnt a problem , i think we have more models of fairey marine craft than were ever produced at hamble ! they make great models , but you do need to make them as light as possible . jon

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 08:49:49 pm »

Lightness is going to be the key, methinks...I've had an offer to have my esc uprated to take a big 900 motor, but I've been having a chat tonight to a fellow club member who has a Swordsman, and now the seed has been planted in my mind to install my pair of Ark Model/Hooben 540's (as supplied with the Hooben Perkasa) and a couple of nice light battery packs.

Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 09:04:54 pm »

that sounds like a good idea , at least you could upgrade motors should the need arise later , ive been toying with a build using a pair of 600 brushed motors , which have the same can diameter as the 540 . your upgraded esc will probably be capable of running both of your proposed motors , with the rudders set almost at the transom the steering control is very good both at low speed & when at speed , neither of mine have fully independant control of the motors ( the spear has two motors plus two escs but are run from a single channel using a Y  lead )  jon

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »

Jon, if you find a second over the weekend, could you post up a pic of the undersides of your Spear showing the prop positions and rudder positions, please?

Thanks ever so much,

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 10:06:43 pm »

yes no problem , i will charge the camera later , i have the measurements written down in a book in my working area inc shaft lengths etc

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 08:31:22 am »

Great, thanks Jon.

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 10:29:17 pm »

having a few problems with uploading piccies from the camera this evening , swmbo is on the case ( im not as clever with the computor ) however ive got the measurments that mine have been built to ;-  propshafts as supplied by marks model bits in newport , m4 stainless steel 8 inches long , from centre of keel to centre of shaft  63 mm ( 126 mm centres accross the keel ) tip of shaft is 73 mm from the transom & 30 mm from the hull skin , the centre of the shaft passes through the hull 205 mm from the transom . the rudders are 61 mm from the centre of the keel to the centre of the rudder stock  ( slightly inboard of the shaft allows the shaft to be withdrawn without disturbing the rudder ) rudder 20 mm from the transom . my own rudders are fabricated at home in brass , the posts are from k&s 129 , 55mmm long ( each ) the rudder stock is 4 mm diameter bras rod  75 mm long ( each ) a narrow slot cut in one end  10 mm long to locate the blade . the rudder blade is a small peice of brass sheet .5 mm thick 40 mm high 24 mm wide . hope this will assist . jon

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 08:07:30 am »

Jon, that has to be one of the most comprehensive set of measurements I've ever seen! Thanks ever so much for this, I'm now going to sit with my pencil and paper and transfer all this to a working drawing....that'll keep me out of mischief for a while!

Thanks again....it's very kind of you.

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 08:33:15 am »

having two boats that have been built up with the same hulls it made sense to keep the dimensions ,

as my cabin section is permenatly attached to the hull , acsess is via removable sections , ie the rear of the wheelhouse then the cockpit floors will lift away , likewise the front section of cabin roof is removble , this is where ive fitted the receiver ( under the roof ) and the switcher and wiring , the area that remains easily removable is the aft deck floor , which is where my twin motor batteries are in a box which also has the receiver and lighting battery packs . neither boat is fully finished yet !  jon

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:43 am »

A picture is worth a thousand words! Jon, you are a real superstar...many, many thanks indeed, I owe you a pint or six!

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 09:16:52 am »

thats ok , its nice to be able to assist a fellow modeller , as for pints i dont drink alcohol , i prefer to feed my aged triumph in petrol !

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 09:35:20 am »

I,m watching this build with great interest, I bought an mfa fantome about 20 years ago, nearly loved it to death, it used to run on 1 12v 10 amp for cruising but had a second 12v 4 amp rigged up like a turbo which gave a reasonable turn of speed, the motor was a marx hectoperm gt500 with an old homemade manual speed controller, anyway Ive been seriously thinking of resurrecting the old girl and going brushless so im keen to see your results.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 09:55:26 am »

Feel free to join the MFA party, young sir...

I so nearly bought a Fantome, but my health issues and living in a small flat would have made that a very awkward boat to love with, so the Spearfish won the day.

I've 'ummed and aahed' over motor choice for a fortnight or so....2 motors, one motor, 2 motors with independent control, 2 motors with mixers, which motors....which batteries...no wonder I gave myself a headache, is it! Thanks to Jon's fine efforts I think(think)I've decided now on what set up I'm going with....I'm 99% of the way there.

Have you looked at Ashley Needham's Fantome build over on the Model Boats Magazine website...there's some very interesting pics and information there, might be worth you checking it out.

Rich

Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »

its a pity mfa didnt offer the fantome in the smaller size , the hull is basically the same as spearfish being a moulded grp over the same bucks that the old huntsman31 were made . as ive told rich there are lots of pics on the fairey owners club site under per hannsons gallery , which should help you with detailing the model  , the original blue tinted plasticard was still available last summer from mfa , so you could make a new screen ! jon

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 08:35:37 am »

You'll get nothing but heartache from MFA, I fear...there are no parts available for the Spearfish or the Fantome, limited parts supply for the other two (the names escape me at the minute...Seahawk, was it?) until the parts run out and then that's it. The guy who I spoke to on the phone was most unhelpful, and couldn't have cared less about customer satisfaction.

Anyway, enough of this...Jon, I've finally decided on the power set up for 006 (as she's to be named...again) parts are all ordered (my flexible friend is cowering in the corner as we speak....) and I'm informed that the boat will be here Wednesday. The slipway has been cleared....

Rich

Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 08:17:07 pm »

ive only delt with them via my local model shop , who managed to get the sheets of blue tint plasticard . so building will be starting in earnest on thursday , have you decided on power plants yet ?

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:23 pm »

I wish you well with your building, Jon...

Yes, the decision has been taken and parts ordered ( I have some already)

2 x 550 motors (the ones that came with my ARK Model Perkasa)
ACTion P93 Multi Controller
2 x 8" S/Steel shafts
2 x 35mm two bladed carbon filled plastic props
2 x 6v 3600a/h NimHs battery packs, to be wired together to give 12volts @ 3600a/h

Rich
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 08:33:55 pm »

spear is on the shelf for a week or two , im trying to sort one of my sailing boats , and now getting our 42 year old triumph ready for its mot , ive no garage to work in so hoping the rain stops soon , lying under a motor in the rain isnt my idea of fun !

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »

I had a Triumph! A 2.5 PI, P registered in dark green, with a set of fancy wheels on it.  I loved it, it was a real cracker of a car, built like a brick outhouse. The gearbox developed a fatal flaw internally which didn't do much for the rear axle....and so it had to go.

RIP, my 2.5PI
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 08:49:38 pm »

that was a very late pi ? ive had two mk1 saloons one in standard 2000 , one fitted with a 2500 runnunig gear , plus a couple of mk2 2000s and a pair of 2500 s saloons , nice motors just a pity the last one wasnt tax free or id still own it . my current car is a 1971 1500 fwd which ive owned for about 6 months
jon

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:36 pm »

I'm racking my brains trying to remember the reg number, but I can't. I always thought it would have made a nice basis for a street rod, loads of room for a nice Chevy in there...but it wasn't to be.
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:39 pm »

KYL316P...I think.
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:13 pm »

thee is a very tasteful one in clevedon ( somerset ) metallic racing green  with gold rims , running 4.2 ltr rover v8 !

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 04:53:21 pm »

Isn't that one of those Triumphs where you could change the clutch from inside the car?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.