Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How model Subs caused Global warming !!!!  (Read 3148 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
How model Subs caused Global warming !!!!
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:31:59 pm »

Well not on there own, I found this article in a 1971 Model Boats.   Please tell me they don't still use this gas in model subs ??

Peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How model Subs caused Global warming !!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:43:34 pm »

It was banned from fire extinguishers not so long ago.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:55:10 pm »

Nope they don't,  :) the gas boys ,( generally the Americans ), used to use a substance called propel, air brush propellent...however it was found to contain butane...small amounts but...could be potentially explosive....now that has gone and a product called super duster is used, a compressed gas that is inert, it is used to blow out keyboards etc and harmless. So you can rest easy, most European sub modellers use piston tanks or recirculate air through a compressor arrangement known as a RCABS system. Reciprocating Compressed Air Ballast System.
Some folks over here use the gas system, mostly in small models where you don't have the space for either of the above..but its not ideal... you need to count how many surfaces you can get from your gas tank and you don't really want to run out of gas . Most subs are trimmed so that they will only submerge with the weight of a full gas tank and then only part way down so they always have a positive residual buoyancy, and then dive through dynamic motion the rest of the way..Of course  you always need to buy gas too. You can now obtain very small air pumps complete with motor that are about 3 " long by 1 " wide so the gas tank may well be a thing of the past in years to come...

Hope I haven't bored you  too much but YOU did ask  ;D ;D

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 11:01:17 pm »

Thanks for that ,It was only posted tong in cheek,as you call all us "Targets", I worked in refrigeration (very large) at about that time and they where looking for alternatives that worked then. and no it was not boring as i am looking to join you chaps soon. Peter

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:05:56 pm »

:) Ah another one that has seen the light ...Welcome Brother !!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:17:11 pm »

It was banned from fire extinguishers not so long ago.

Colin, I think you are referring to Halon.  Freon has never been used as a fire extinguisher as it breaks down into a form of mustard gas when heated!!

As for Freon, all types that contain Chlorine are now in the process of being phased out and the most harmfull ones are now long out of production.  If you buy a commercial fridge plant nowadays it will not use a Freon that contains Chlorine and therefore does not contribute to ozone depletion.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:21:06 pm »

Bunkerbarge - yes, got my wires crossed there! I was thinking of Halon. Freon is for fridges - or was in its earlier guises! Put it down to a senior moment!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.