Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro Magic Yachts  (Read 69527 times)

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
Micro Magic Yachts
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:56:44 pm »

Hi sailers  ok2 Once again i have joined your horried dark art of gettin in the way of everyone else  :-))

Just ordered a Micro Magic from Howes ( hope its ok to add the name ) When she turns up will do an opening thing and review pics and all

Thanks to Martin and Stan on the forum for sendin me the write up in MMI, you guys got me to make the phone call and order one  :-)

Thanks

Daniel

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Micro Magic RTR
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:54:24 pm »

Did you get one at the special offer price Daniel ?
I was sorely tempted as they are a bargain, but
I am in negotiations to do a deal on a Fiesta and
SWIMBO won't take kindly to another two yachts  :(( :((

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:12:25 pm »

Umm not sure if it was on offer, price was £199.99, have always wanted a magic but really didnt want to build one myself, just because i really hate working with that type of thin plastic, dont trust myself not to mess it up  :-))

Probs going to rip the tx and rx out and put my spektrum 2.4g in her, and change it to a rod on the rudder over the i think stock string

All the best

Daniel  :-)) p.s cant wait  %%

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »

have you seen the group running the micro magics at the lake on a saturday morning ?  i think the mod with the rudder linkage is a good idea , ive seen a couple of the cord ones break . i dont sail with them as my own sailing models are of scale type , so im still alongside the warroir

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:41 pm »

something helpfull may be on this site  :-)) http://www.magicmicro.org/news.php

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:42:29 pm »

Thanks tony23 am a member of that site  :-))

triumphjon, i use to see them when going to and from work on a sat, but never went down to say hi, then i saw that they released a rtr magic and was keen to get something that people race and with them racing/sailing on wens evenin and sat mornings seemed the perfect choice. Have got a few other yachts one larger at a meter long and a mid sized but dont really use them much with the larger one bottomin out in the lake

They do have a facebook page think its "portsmouth micro magic" Just like the idear of being able to sail it as normal then meet up for a race or two in the week :)

All the best

Daniel

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:57:24 pm »

i know the larger yachts have an issue with druaght in the lake , thankfully im not having that problem ,lthough the semi submerged seaweed does prove a problem ! i often notice you pale blue tugs in & out with the container vessels .

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:09:41 pm »

Hampton Court Club started racing Micro Magics last year and it's been a great success there going to hold a MM Championship later this year.

http://www.hamptoncourt-myc.org.uk/mmopen.htm

http://www.hamptoncourt-myc.org.uk/mmuknor.htm

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:07:21 pm »

we race them at hembc lincoln about 14 or15 great fun pictures can be seen on the hembc website  slug

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:52 am »

Jon i dont work for the blue tugs anymore left them last year, could you not put on a smaller lengh keel with a larger bulb to sail on conoe lake?

Thanks tony that made a good read seeing what you guys do  :-))

Thanks to slug loved the picys some very nice lookin colour designs going on at your club

Update, i missed there post man yesturday so its being sent out today, and should recive it tomorrow then buld it ready to sail tomorrow evening ekk  %%

All the best

Daniel

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 11:18:59 am »

on a differ  ent tact bought a marblehead of e bay only 12 inch keel we have a shallow lake at the edge well pleased on your rtr are you going to keep both sail sevoes most sail on one they are great fun we sail in all weathers  slug

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:47 pm »

Hi Slug, yeah will be keepin it as it comes to start with, the guys down here that sail them said it would be fine to start with then maybe if i get abit better will take out the jib servo

was hoping it would turn up today to give me a sail this evenin to try and see what its like before trying to sail it with others  :embarrassed: but i guess thats my first exeuse for tomorrow  :-)) I shouldnt of left it so late before ordering it silly me

Jon i think KK is going to take his sub down there tomorrow at 1830 so if you fancy it come along for a chat? Would be good to meet somemore people from the forum

All the best

Daniel

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 08:27:03 am »

i managed to get to the lake at about ten to seven , four micros out on the lake then down to three and a gent with several youngish children with a yacht made by his grandfather , might see if i can get my fishing sailer into my car & go down on saturday morning ( the mast has seized into the socket through the decking , its a wooden mast with a brass tube socket ! so has possibly swelled up ? )

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »

Oh man i missed you, we had to leave because my Duck had hurt its self, n spent most of yest evening nursing it  <:( but its seems better ( ish ) now

Funnily  enough, I didn't realise that I new Clive the guy that runs the magic racing, he had the green model, I didn't take mine because I hadn't the time to finish it off, but i did get to finish it last night, shes now ready for the water  :-)) Might pop down there later to try it not sure yet, but will be there tomorrow morning  :-)

OK, the model turned up 'woop woop', it came as the pic shows, the Graupner Box its self is very nice and i was shocked to see how well they had packed the boat in the box ( Well done Graupner ) The Yacht its self is from what i can see VERY well made, i was a little unsure with people saying that kits some times didn't line up on the stern, but the RTR isn't that bad at all, they have filled any gaps ( one shows a tiny bit ) but they have painted over it nicely and the rest of the model is painted very well.

I have pulled out the stock TX and RX both of these do seem a bit 'old hat' but nevertheless are rather nice in their own little ways, with Micro Magic rtr written on the TX  

Cant get over how well it was all boxed from Graupner, the keel was inclosed in foam, the sails packed very well and laid flat, the Tx was well packed in foam, the yacht its self had no room to moved about or get knocked, and the mast was also well packed  :-)) The best bit was that the ""foam"" wasn't the normal kind that breaks up and put mess everywhere, so was nice to handle

The rigging of the yacht was some what tricky, now I've rigged a full size yachts and so on sailed my self a fair bit, ( I have my own yacht & worked with full size boats, mostly yachts), but for the love of God I had to read & re-read the instructions, this thing was more tricky to rig in my opinion than a full size Sunfast 44  :o   But once she is rigged its a very nice little boat

Even from new the rudder servo doesn't seem to happy making a few noises but will see how it holds up. The sails are really nice, i know some people say they are heaver than the mk1 sails but they seem spot on to me

I have tried it in the bath last night to see if it was water tight, pushed the bow under and the port/star and stern with no leaks at all, not to sure about the hatch but it does seem a very tight fit, it took about 5 mins to get it off for the first time ( didn't want to force it off to start will because its thin plastic ) but sure enough, it popped off when tapping it. One thing that was odd was the rudder arm was in the yacht from the factory, I couldn't find it in the box got a little worried they had forgot to put it in, then found it fully rigged in the boat, with the main halyard and port/star lines wrapped around it

The boat stand is very nice and just popped together with ease. I  haven't glued it or anything because its such a lovely fit with nice touches like ""racing MICRO MAGIC"" on it on both sides

Unlike with the kit you can not move the keel about, it has one fixed position and that's that. I think the guy from Graupner drilled the hole a little too far forward and hes dragged the drill bit back to make the keel fit, has a really small crack in it, but it's hardly noticeable

Not really sure what else to say about the model, anything you would like to know just ask.

Verdict is a Great little boat out of the boat, I couldn't of built the hull as well as Graupner has done  :-))

Sea trails later on today or tomorrow morning

How she came, will take some more in a bit of what shes like fully rigged.

All the best

Daniel

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 01:14:54 pm »

Hopefully some sailing pics and how she sails soon  :-)

All the best

Daniel

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 05:56:33 pm »

A nice lot of Trophies in the cabinet young man, what were these won for?.

Len, ( nosey old git )

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 09:16:26 am »

Hi Len, we use to do C class offshore powerboat racing, most are from that  :-)

All the best

Daniel

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 06:24:46 pm »

Nice to meet you today Jon  :-))

The Micro Magic out of the box sailed very very well, 5 people turned up with magics ink me, and wasnt always last, which was shocking because the others all had ( home built racers ) with the RTR being the heavyist and with lots of greese on the hull it wasnt perfectly slik through the water. Sails were very good, tweaked set up alittle at one point but again kept up with the racing home made sails and mk1s sails ( to a point my sailing was laking at times, bit rusty ) Best news of all was the yacht didnt leak one bit, was well chuffed with this because 2 of the other boats had leaked

To sum up the RTR Micro Magic, i would say if you want a yacht and something small that can go in the car fully riged then the Magic is the perfect choice, it sails so very well and its great with all the kit right outa the box

One happy chapy  :}

Daniel

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 10:32:55 pm »

good to meet you too dan , hopefully i can bring my scale motor sail cruiser along on wednesday evening & join in ! jon

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 10:53:43 pm »

That will be awesome Jon  :-)) Hopefully the weather wont be to bad

Daniel

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 08:09:39 am »

have you started shaving any weight yet ? i could see a little would be saved in changing the rudder linkage , clives boat only uses single sided arms on both the servo & the tiller arm , could you replace the grase around the keel box with a smear of silicone ? i know it would mean leaving the keel attached , then its the extra servo , remove and attactch both sails to the standard sail servo . i might even have to save some money & buy one of my own ! jon

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 02:04:10 pm »

Jon you should get one mate!!

I will change the rudder later on, but not sure if it will save any weight because the line is changed for wire rod and conectors. Will clean up the greese, was thinkin about gluing the keel in but not sure yet, i think with the greese cleaned up so its not everywhere lol and the bottom polished it should help alot, but even then the edge of the stickers on the hull drag alittle, but i dont wanna go to into it by taking them off

Triming the yacht should not be a problem because the battery pack i used can be moved back alittle bit so it should get the bow upto just lipin the water. Going to leave the 3rd servo in for now, probs will just not use it or take the wire outa the rx, looks a total pain to try and remove. Same thing with the shrouds just going to leave them on, am use to having them there  :-)

I guess with the rudder arm we could use carbon fiber rod that would save a alittle bit, But im not sure making them bang on the weight limit is a good thing, the lake it normaly never totally calm

Would you get the kit Jon or a rtr?

Daniel

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »

Have you looked at rcyachts.org ?
Cant post a link as I'm on my phone
Good site for MM's

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 06:10:26 pm »

Have you looked at rcyachts.org ?
Cant post a link as I'm on my phone
Good site for MM's

Ned

Hi Ned yes have that one book marked thanks though  :-)) They sure do have some nice stuff on there

Jon me n the gf went down to the lake earlyer, no yachts on the water, just a fire boat thing and KK with his sub

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »

went past the lake earlier there was one of the yellow / black square riggers plus a few " grey jobbies " didnt stop to look as i wanted to make a start in getting my triumph ready for the mot ,ive been undersealing this afternoon , yuk !
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.