Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro Magic Yachts  (Read 69541 times)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Micro Magic RTR
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »

it didnt respond to the rudder quickly enough ,  the motor isnt connected yet , so couldnt reverse out of the obstruction !  dont thinkits the lake as much as that boat likes it there ? water level was above wellies , so as you can imagine i got a tad wet tonight . hopefully the boat will behave itself tommorrow evening

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:06 pm »

BBC weather is saying rain around 7pm coming from the north so it might be raining tomorrow, i was thinkin of popin down there about 1ish or that other lake

Dan

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2012, 10:50:49 pm »

according to the forcast on the pc weve a 20 % chance of rain , i was planning to go down at around five ish , think ive ruffled a few fethers on the national magic forum

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:23 pm »

how so?

I will be down there in the even to, but want to use it at lunch time too, will probs go down to duck lake for a walk

Dan

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2012, 07:58:18 am »

think i need the auxillary motor sorted before i venture to duck lake , im also building a 2ft dory hull with the small graupner water jet drive system fitted , which may be useful to recover models which get amongst the weeds ? little more progress with my magic last night , ive started fitting some of the wood under the deck , the aft deck beam  is being remade deeper , to include a deeper slot for the battery pack to slide under the cockpit . well pleased as the perspex is much longer than the original plywood radio tray but is still lighter ! if im lucky it might be ready for sea trials at the weekend ! ! ( it will probably rain & blow gales for weeks preventing me from trying it out ) jon

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2012, 11:50:04 am »

It does seem that normaly on the days they sail the magics the weather is normaly always worse! lol the days before and after are normaly better

Theres not much weed in duck lack is any, its just the reeds around the edge, but it is a fair sized bit of water so theres no need for anyone to put marks near the reeds, just its fresh water which is a massive bonus

Dan

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2012, 11:26:07 pm »

we will have to go over when the magic is finished ! progress has been a little slow , the deck will be glued onto the hull tonight , everything above deck level to sort . jon

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2012, 10:10:30 am »

Sounds a plan

Dan

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »

we have a small update ;- the deck has just been glued to the hull , progressing slowly , you never know it might be operable for wednesday evening ! !

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2012, 08:23:47 am »

carbon magic has got wet ! with a few minor teethinng problems , a small section where the glue hadnt sealed the at the transom allowed it to slowly back fill the hull , which after an hour ( drained several times ) caused the sail servo to go slow , & a mistake when tieing a bowsie left the jib flapping at the top luff , with these sorted i may finally not be the last past the finishing marker ? 

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Micro Magic Carbon Edition .....
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2012, 10:26:57 am »

As I'm getting a little to rickety for sailing my 1 metre these days, especially in competition and having moved to a new club where there's a few MMs about for pleasure sailing, rather than competition, I've taken the plunge and bought myself a Carbon Edition Micro Magic kit. ( It was a pretty cheap one from that auction site  :embarrassed:) ... This is to be a boat for a bit of gentle sailing, unless I get the bug with these of course.   O0

So, I've done my research and read around about the Carbon edition and some of the problems with the skin thickness and aft end, so if anyone has any advice on building it, my ears are wide open  %%... I've just started putting a few bits together and learning where everything fits but I'd love to hear from other builders of the Carbon and standard MM as to pitfalls to avoid, otherwise I know I'll fall in all of them.  :((

Advice on making good the transom before I get there and how people overcame that would be specially well received as it looks a potential source of problems, if only cosmetic..... so, all advice gratefully received !
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:22 am »

carbon magic has got wet ! with a few minor teethinng problems , a small section where the glue hadnt sealed the at the transom allowed it to slowly back fill the hull , which after an hour ( drained several times ) caused the sail servo to go slow , & a mistake when tieing a bowsie left the jib flapping at the top luff , with these sorted i may finally not be the last past the finishing marker ? 

I see that you're up and running with yours whereas I'm just starting... I've started my own thread so as not to disrupt this one but if you have any advice on building the Carbon version do shout out on http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37744.msg377429;topicseen#msg377429  Cheers it would be much appreciated.     :-))
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Micro Magic Carbon Edition .....
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:07 pm »

What are you overall impressions of the kit straight out of the box?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2012, 01:18:51 pm »

Your more than welcome to join the two threads together or we could have a micro magic  thread for all to post in?

Dan

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »

What are you overall impressions of the kit straight out of the box?

My first impression is that that it's a quality piece of kit ! The hull is beautifully moulded, no flaws and the fittings seem first class, well made and thought out. Having done some 1 metre racing I'm used to looking at yacht fittings and these are nice, if a bit smaller than those I'm used to.   :-)

There's a comprehensive building book, plan, parts list etc etc. in fact it looks like it's going to be fun to build. I've tried my hand at sailing a couple of the other members MMs, which convinced me to get my own, the handling characteristics seemed very sophisticated for a boat of this size, with the added advantage that you can pop it on the seat of the car !. Lugging all the paraphernalia associated with 1 metres was wearing me out. :-)

Anyway I'm starting, very slowly, to assemble some of the parts while reading as much as I can on other people's efforts. There are a couple of obvious difficult procedures, like joining the hull to the deck, that's worrying me a bit but I'll do a few dry runs to try everything before I commit myself.

Any advice on the difficult bits, much appreciated !  :D

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2012, 01:41:00 pm »

Cheers Dan, it may be a good idea to have one thread for Micro Magics and keep the knowledge base all in one place as you've already put some very interesting information on, which I may be able to add a bit to as I fight with this build.  :embarrassed:  ......  I'll confer with Martin  :-))

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2012, 03:01:34 pm »

The first and obvious problem, as I've read elsewhere, is the additional thickness of the carbon edition ABS parts when it comes to assembly. The keel fin and spacing pieces have taken a bit of work with a file and glass paper to take off enough, so that the fin slides in and out of the keel- box smoothly and goes high enough in it for the fixing bolt to come through the deck.

Not a worry in itself but I'm grateful to have read elsewhere about these factors as I don't then feel it's my fault for building it wrong !  {-)  Anyway, the fin box is made and installed and takes the fin OK as is the servo mount and bow reinforcement, and that's where I'm up to to date....  :D  I'm just about to read what the next steps are and where I'm likely to mess up !

Oh and I'm building this without the extra servo to start with, I'm used to sailing my one metre without a jib trim servo and have always managed to get the jib to set when goosewinged with a little judicious wiggle of the sticks,   ;D  hopefully I'll find the same with this boat as everyone seems happy to sail without it and the weight saved will be handy.....  Onwards and upwards!

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2012, 04:08:51 pm »

the third servo isnt allowed for racing in the uk anyhow ! i too have recently built a carbon magic , following advise from both our local club members and the micro magic forum ive made one or two changes , firstly change the sheet outhaul tube  for one thats about 10 - 15 mm long , it helps prevent water ingress when the boat is trying hard at submerging the bow ! the keel bulb is recomended to be 25mm from the leading edge of the fin , i managed to elongate the slot in the bulb ,  i also sail with the fin as far aft as possible , im not using shroud lines , they arent needed , as for the rudder ive changed the cord for a single 2mm metal rod linkage , ive seen a couple of breakages using the cord . to be a little different my servos are now placed midships , with my 4 aa cell rx pack as far under the well deck as i can get them . after just a few weeks im now managing to keep pace with the local fleet

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2012, 04:12:00 pm »

it shouldnt be a fight mike , mine went together well , and is enjoyable to sail now !

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »

the third servo isnt allowed for racing in the uk anyhow ! i too have recently built a carbon magic , following advise from both our local club members and the micro magic forum ive made one or two changes , firstly change the sheet outhaul tube  for one thats about 10 - 15 mm long , it helps prevent water ingress when the boat is trying hard at submerging the bow ! the keel bulb is recomended to be 25mm from the leading edge of the fin , i managed to elongate the slot in the bulb ,  i also sail with the fin as far aft as possible , im not using shroud lines , they arent needed , as for the rudder ive changed the cord for a single 2mm metal rod linkage , ive seen a couple of breakages using the cord . to be a little different my servos are now placed midships , with my 4 aa cell rx pack as far under the well deck as i can get them . after just a few weeks im now managing to keep pace with the local fleet

Cheers for that !  when you say with the fin as far aft as possible, I presume that you just use the forward spacer then to push the fin back? ... Oh, and yes I was going to use a metal ruder linkage, in fact I've got the pieces knocking around somewhere already in the bits box. ... Thanks for the help, I'm not intending to race but I'd like to feel it were performing up to scratch when I have a cruise around the lake..  O0

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2012, 05:00:57 pm »

Oh and by the way, which glue did you use to bond the hull and deck together? the UHU Acrylit seems a tad fast to get everything organised, before everything sets solid ..............

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Micro Magic Yachts
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2012, 05:11:42 pm »

Both Micro Magic topics merged.... might need a whole board soon!

Who else is thinking of buying one?

PS. Can someone gather all the Micro magic sites links together into one post please?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2012, 08:56:36 pm »

mike i used thick cyno to bond the two halves together , before bonding , i put masking tape over both the hull sides and deck to avoid glue on the carbon surface , yes fin has just the wide spacer at the front ,

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »

mike i used thick cyno to bond the two halves together , before bonding , i put masking tape over both the hull sides and deck to avoid glue on the carbon surface , yes fin has just the wide spacer at the front ,

Excellent, many thanks for that, that's a good idea about the masking tape too !

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2012, 10:34:55 pm »

You might want to cut the front bit of wood that the 3rd servo screws into, i did this when i took the 3rd servo out because the line looked like it was going to snag it at somepoint ( it can be removed and trimed later on though after uv built the model )

Like john has said raise the jib sheet inlet hole or she will fill up with water, the other thing that really helps me is the clear hatch because you can see the inside of the boat and make sure its all fine without having to remove the hatch time and time again

For the jib sheet hole i just drilled the stock inlet and glued in a bit of rc antener tube :)

Dan
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.