Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro Magic Yachts  (Read 69537 times)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Micro Magic Yachts
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2012, 07:56:07 am »

another slight mod i forgot about is instead of tying the jib line to the radio plate ive put a small fishing type clip on the end of the line & clip this to the radio plate , this allows me to remove the sail arm from the servo & unclip the jib line to fully remove the radio tray if required , as opposed to untying everything !

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2012, 08:29:26 am »

You might want to cut the front bit of wood that the 3rd servo screws into, i did this when i took the 3rd servo out because the line looked like it was going to snag it at somepoint ( it can be removed and trimed later on though after uv built the model )
Like john has said raise the jib sheet inlet hole or she will fill up with water, the other thing that really helps me is the clear hatch because you can see the inside of the boat and make sure its all fine without having to remove the hatch time and time again
For the jib sheet hole i just drilled the stock inlet and glued in a bit of rc antener tube :)
Dan

Thanks ! As a matter of interest, where did you get your clear hatch cover as that sounds like a very useful mod.... I'm also thinking of putting a waterproof external switch in to save opening up more times than absolutely necessary.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2012, 08:31:20 am »

another slight mod i forgot about is instead of tying the jib line to the radio plate ive put a small fishing type clip on the end of the line & clip this to the radio plate , this allows me to remove the sail arm from the servo & unclip the jib line to fully remove the radio tray if required , as opposed to untying everything !

I was going to make everything as removable as possible so that's a handy idea, I may well have forgotten that one. !
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »

The clear hatch come from cornwall models, they normaly get it to your door the very next day  :-)

With a normal battery pack you will get with ease 5 plus hours of play with out changin anything, forgot to turn mine off one evening after sailing and found it beepin a few days later lol

And yip you would have to use the front spacer to push the keel aft, it really does make a massive diffrence

Dan

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »

The clear hatch come from cornwall models, they normaly get it to your door the very next day  :-)
With a normal battery pack you will get with ease 5 plus hours of play with out changin anything, forgot to turn mine off one evening after sailing and found it beepin a few days later lol
And yip you would have to use the front spacer to push the keel aft, it really does make a massive diffrence
Dan

Thanks Dan .... as a matter of interest, what battery pack are you using, I've a 6.0v pack I use for my 1 meter but it's a bit chunky for the Micro I think, I'm not keen on Lippos, so what should I be looking at?

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2012, 02:44:28 pm »

Alot of the top boys are using either lipos ( which i also dont like in boats ) or 4 x AAA packs as they weigh very little, in mine iv got a bit of a chunky 4.8v 2/3 cell pack, it gives out some good punch, its abit of a over kill but wanted abit more weight in the stern

normaly 9 times out 10 the best way to go would be the 4 x AAA pack  :-))

Dan

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2012, 10:14:40 am »

Yes I think I'll do that Dan, at least until I learn a bit more about sailing these boats. From the little I've tried with other people's, they seem a lot of fun....   O0

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »

the carbon edition is a little thicker than the standard one,i had trouble with the hatch sealing as the thickness of the plastic made it proud above the deck.some have put in a thinner seal,never did solve mine,great fun,take them anywhere slug   tony

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2012, 09:24:17 pm »

Was the same with the rtr hatch had to sand it back alot to make it fit then got the clear which fits perfect outa the packet

Dan

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2012, 07:28:57 am »

Martin ....

As requested, these are the main Micro Magic sites that I look at but no doubt others will know a few too so come on chaps, post away....  O0

http://ukmicromagic.com/  UK Micro Magic Class Association

http://www.int.magicmicro.org/news.php Micro Magic International

http://www.rcyachts.org.uk/  Mike Weston's Micro Magic site Boats, Spares, parts etc. etc.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/graupner-yacht-spares.html Cornwall Model Boats  Micro Magic parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9L7ehe3Kfw&feature=relmfu Very useful build tips

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2012, 08:34:11 am »

dont think its that bad a fit , just the retaining clips could do with being longer to push the hatch onto the seal !

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2012, 04:30:16 pm »

Well, today I bit the bullet and joined the deck to the hull on my Carbon Micro Magic and thanks to a couple of tips from the chaps here it went very well indeed, though I did use a different method of gluing most of the deck. I'm putting this in here just in case anyone else wants to try the method when it comes to doing this somewhat nasty job. It was my first time with ABS so I was a bit nervous about it.  %%...

I took a very slow route to do everything and it seems to have paid off, procedure was as follows, after I covered the aft end transom areas adjacent to where they are to be joined together, with masking tape to avoid glue marks on the boat.

1. ... Initially I glued in the rudder post to the bottom of the hull with UHU acrylit which makes it easy to locate the aft end when gluing. left that to set

2. ... Next using the UHU Acrylit I joined the hull and deck at the King Plank and top of the fin box only.... left that to set with rubber bands holding everything in place....

3. ...  When that was dry I lifted up the aft end of the deck gently, put some UHU Acrylit around the rudder tube, where it is to join the deck, then put a fairly thick and slow cyanoacrylate glue just around the transom area and then positioned it all correctly and then held that area together till it had glued. The rest of this area being protected by the masking tape so no marks on the carbon effect. ... had a cuppa..... :embarrassed:

4 . .. When dry .. went round the Deck/Hull join and at every couple of inches tacked them together using a fine brush and tiny amounts of  EMA Plastic Weld at the join. put rubber bands around the lot and let it set again ... more tea..  :embarrassed:

5. ... Now that every thing was just about solid, it was a simple matter to just go round the whole hull/deck join with the small brush and EMA Plastic Weld, letting the capillary action complete the final weld around the whole of the hull.. replaced the elastic bands and had a large Malt Whisky.   ;D

Even taking into account the whisky, I now seem to have a completely joined hull and deck and without any nasty glue marks on the nice carbon effect, now that I've removed the masking tape.  Thanks for all the advice chaps, working out this method took a bit of time but enabled me to take every step slowly, thus enabling a nice clean job. I know there are numerous ways to do it, as attested by some great boats out there, but this way worked for me.... I like slow...... :D

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2012, 04:56:22 pm »

What are peoples servo recommendations for Micro magics sheet and rudder? can they take two standard servos?

Dave

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2012, 05:06:18 pm »

normal size for the sail lines, and a micro for the rudder  :-) You could fit two normal sized ones but its massively over kill for the rudder

Dan

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2012, 07:56:10 pm »

my own boat has a standard sized 3kg/cm servo for sail control , and a " new power " xl-161-hm micro servo 3kg/cm  metal gear servo for the rudder , which is keeping the weight down a little !

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2012, 08:48:54 pm »

As it's a totally new venture, for now I've gone with a Graupner Micro C261 for the steering and a normal one for the sail servo. I'll see how performance goes and perhaps adapt later .. I'm used to rotary sail winches in my 1 metre yacht so I'm not sure yet as to how much oomph I need for the Micro till I get sailing.... :D

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2012, 09:45:04 pm »

Which is the best boat to get the RTR,racing or carbon racing? i'll only be doing a bit of club racing as i don't want to be spending a fortune.

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2012, 10:39:09 pm »

Same here Dave!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:43 pm »

Depends on how quickly you would like to get on the water  :-)) rtr can be the same day, and it still gives you scope to change and make it faster

The build your own is good also as you can build it how you want from the off, or you could spend alittle more and get a pro boat built and set up

Tbh im happy with the rtr now but its cost a fair chunk of change and time to get it how id like, nearly every bit has been takin off and moded or redone from the factory ( but it did get me on the water the very next day )

Daniel  :-)

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2012, 12:40:50 am »

value for money the RTR is the one to buy the Carbon Version (kit) is slightly heavier than the others although not sure why but they are that's why you won't see the professionals racing them! :-))

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2012, 06:13:59 am »

guess the carbon edition has more pigment in it so it weighs more than a plain white hull? I'll see what i can get cheap :-)) and go for that. I have the brakes to fix on the car first  >>:-( then off to Egypt for a week  :}. so a couple more weeks and another payday and i'm in the market for one.

Just as a side note i noticed whilst reading on the net. that there is a Mk1 and Mk2 set of foils 1 being the better but no longer available that seems a little unfair to other sailers surely if an item isn't available to everyone it shouldn't be allowed? you don't have that in any other class.

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2012, 07:16:32 am »

I bought the Carbon version on price, and the fact that I'm not going in for any serious racing with this boat. ... At club level especially, it's far more to do with the capability of the guy wiggling the sticks than any perceived advantage of the latest bit of high tech gear or 10grm saving on weight here and there, I've found that out on 1 meters .. :-)  ...Mind you, I've also seen that apply at championship level too !  {-)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2012, 07:30:52 am »

ref weight ! the carbon mouldings are slightly thicker than those used for the plain white model hence the few grammes in extra weight . as for the advantages of using a mark 1 keel & rudder on a mk2 hull neither offshore or myself have noticed any advantage , our models are both fitted with mk2 keels & rudder and we are still competetive with the local members of the club with mk1 keels etc !

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:09 am »

ref weight ! the carbon mouldings are slightly thicker than those used for the plain white model hence the few grammes in extra weight .

The one thing with the Carbon version is the little bit of extra care needed in assembling the hull/deck to avoid marking the attractive "carbon" look, especially at the stern.   Your idea with the masking tape was a life saver and it enabled me to make a really nice job of it. !  :-))

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »

The only time that mk1 stuff would help is when its no wind, like the other night Jon, but then again we didnt do bad  :-))

for price howes models were doing the rtr for something like £170, and even if you dont use the stock rc tx rx you can reuse them in other models, and with the rtr you get the 3rd servo which once taken out gives you a spare rudder servo  :-)

Dan
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.