Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: topside color of Italian 212 and HMS Torbay  (Read 1763 times)

roedj

• Full Mayhemer
topside color of Italian 212 and HMS Torbay
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »

Mayhemers,

I see where the Italians have colored their German 212's blue on the topside. I see also where HMS Torbay was (or perhaps still is) colored blue topside.

My questions are - 1) Are the blues the same? 2) Anyone have any ideas on which paint (model or auto or ??) best approximates HMS Torbay or the Italian 212?

Thanks for your time,

Dan

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: topside color of Italian 212 and HMS Torbay
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:39 pm »

Difficult question to answer I think, because having seen pictures of both, the colour does vary quite a bit from shot to shot, no doubt owing to differences in white/colour balance.

I would say the Todaro class has a more greenish blue than Torbay (which AFAIK is now back to black) which to my eyes looks like a light navy blue in colour.

I think most people hot foot it to the local Halfords when selecting colours. Don't think you have Halfords in the states though.

Wehrbier

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:23:13 pm »

Hi Dan,

I have a lot of pics from Italian 212 (if you need some, send me PM). The problem is that the colour looks different from pic to pic as subculture say. There are many facts like sun or clouds, morning light etc.... I try to get the colour code from the Italians but without any result. So I take a few pics and mixed my own colour. You can see my Scirč in the pic. In my opinion the colour is fine.

I use Tamyia acryl paint. Here are my mix codes:

XF-17   5ml
XF-18   6ml
XF-2   6.5ml
XF-70   3ml
X-4   5ml

Hope that can help you.

regards

Sascha
In omnia paratus!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:26:02 pm »

Another method of getting the right colour is to print off a picture of the colour you want, and have it matched at a car paint supplier. These days they have computerised spectrophotometers in store, so they quickly and easily match whatever colour you want. You usually have to purchase 500ml minimum, but it works out cheaper than buying model paints, which are incredibly expensive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.