Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handrail- Stanction sizes  (Read 2187 times)

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
Handrail- Stanction sizes
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:18 pm »

I'm planning to build some of the solid stanctions on my warship using brass wire. Could anyone advise of the right size brass wire to use for 1/96 scale .
I've a few bits which "look right" but dont want t o go to the trouble of building it all for it to look too thick when the paint is applied.

Thanks
Ted_H :police:
So many things to do, and not enough time to do it !

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Handrail- Stanction sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:12 pm »

Most of them  seem to be about 30 mm. dia. which equals 0.3 mm.
If it is a working model this is impractical and you probably need to use 0.5 mm to get any strength.
Height is normally about 1 metre which equals 10 mm.
Spray paint, if you can, with very light coats.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:00:25 am »

Ted agree with Brian except all the bought 1.96 stanchions are always 11mm about deck level whether they be white metal
or brass.  Personally I use John Haynes stanchions and .3mm wire for the guardwires but if they represent fixed rails .5mm
I make up my own rails for things like masthead and radar platform railings etc. all in .5mm

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:14:35 am »

Geoff is right.  1/96 stanchions are usually 11 mm above deck.  Having tried various kinds I too found the John R Haynes RN ones the best.
They come in two or three hole varieties.  I use the three hole for permanent 'fixed' stanchions, with 0.5 dia brass wire, and the two hole version and 0.3 dia wire for railings that would normally be folded flat on deck when cleared for action.  ie: around gun positions and torpedo tubes.

I was recommended "Carrs 188 solder paint" on this forum, by Geoff actually, and it really makes soldering easy.  Brush-applied to each joint, just the briefest touch of a soldered iron makes a joint limited to just the area ‘painted’.  Controllable.  No styrene deck melt.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:26:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be going for the .5 sized wire.
Would it be .5 for the uprights too, (or am I just making things difficult for myself)

Ted :police:
So many things to do, and not enough time to do it !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.