Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Email Hack  (Read 2031 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Email Hack
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:12 pm »

My email account was hacked this afternoon (3rd April). I noticed what was happening almost immediately and shut it down but those of you I have exchanged email from in the past may have received a spam email from me as the hack seemed tpo be making its way through my address book.

PC has now been cleaned up and passwords & security changed so hopefully that will be the end of it.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Email Hack
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:42 am »

Hi Colin,

How did you notice please.  Can you share your detection clues ?  and what to do after the attack.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:53:25 am »

Also was it your ISP email address or one of the freebies ie hotmail, gmail etc,
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:00:21 am »

Hi Ken,

I keep my email window in view during the day to keep an eye open for new mail and suddenly noticed I was getting new mails at the rate of one every second or so, most of them were 'undelivered mail' so obviously my address was sending stuff out all by itself and apparently working its way down my address book! I had a look at one of them in my sent box and it was obviously spam so I shut down my emaill and went online to search for 'AOL Email hack'. There was some suspiciously recent advice from AOL on how to deal with the problem which basically entailed logging into AOL online instead of via my email and changing my passwords and security question etc. I was also using my email password on a couple of other sites so I changed these as well.

AOL had already picked up 'suspicious activity' on my account and I think they blocked it until I changed passwords - I don't know how far down my address book the hack reached though.

I then deleted all cached web pages and ran antivirus scans with three separate packages none of which picked up any obvious threats. However I had the option to delete all my cookies which I did (and meant that I subsequently had to go through the login procedures for all the websites which then ceased to 'remember' me.  >:-o)

After rebooting everything seems to be OK so far. Fortunately the spam emails sent out were pretty obvious so probably no harm done. This is the first time something like this has happened to me in ten years so I don't know if the hack was internal to my PC or external at AOL. The only thing I had done before the problem happened was to download the Google Toolbar which should have been safe enough.

Took about two and a half hours to sort it all out though. As far as I can see there is no other damage (fingers and everything else crossed)!

I did notice when 'Googling AOL Email Hack' that there are a number of sites which offer to help you do exactly that! It's a war out there!

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:24:39 am »

Frightening.

Thank you for informing us.

cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:14:56 pm »

Yep had one but deleted  :-))

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:26:54 pm »

Hello

It's hapen to me 3 days ago, some people here received this kind of message from my Yahoo account ...  I've scaned my PC without something wrong, the problem looks to be in my Yahoo E-mail account, so I've also changed password !  Hope it's ok now !   Strange world, what means this hack for the people who do that ?

Xtian 

xlaorta

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:18:25 pm »

Dont know if it will help but I keep 3-4 dummy email freebie accounts watching out for these spam email being sent out.

Tim

Scalloway41

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:35:29 pm »

Just to add my two penneth worth I had an email account sending out spam mails last week. Funny thing was it was an old bt Internet account that I thought was closed down three years ago when we changed providers. Apparently, when we changed only the main email account was officially closed by the provider and the sub accounts remained active.
I went into the old account and deleted all contact details and made up a password that even I won't remember :-)
Apparently it's a thing called a joe job which hacks the account but if you change passwords that usually cures it.....

Cheers.
Lang may yer lum reek on idder fowks peats.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:09:02 pm »

There are certainly some evil and sick people out there. <*<

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.